“Best Experience of our Whole Vacation!”

Royal Gorge Rafting
Ranked #1 of 18 Tours in Canon City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Royal Gorge Rafting, Zip Line Tours & the White Water Bar & Grill ~ One Location, 100% Fun!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed July 6, 2015

We rafted on June 23, and it was amazing! We went on the 1/2 day Royal Gorge rafting trip, although the Royal Gorge section was closed because of the high level of water. They took us on a comparable section of the same river. I was a little bummed that we were not able to go under the bridge, but the rafting was out of this world exciting, so I got over that fast!

I was very nervous to start this. We had done the extreme zip lining in the morning, which I was not at all nervous for. I was glad that we did the zip lining in the morning because it was hot that day, and I didn't want to be hiking in the heat of the afternoon. Being on the river in the afternoon though was perfect. I am always cold so I wore dri fit shorts, the wet suit, river boots, a long sleeved dri-fit top, and the river jacket. I waited to put on the vest and river jacket until the last minute. Even still, I was SUPER hot while on the bus and waiting to raft, but once on the river, I was so thankful that I had all these layers on. I was only chilled one time, and that passed quickly.

We met three guys (a Dad and his two teenage sons) while waiting for the rafting to start. It was my sister and her husband, and my husband and myself. We hit it off with this other family, and asked the guides if we could share a raft with them. They were able to accommodate this request, and it turned out to be a wonderful match. We were a great team!

Our guide was Chris, and I cannot say enough wonderful and positive things about him. I could tell: 1 - he loved his job, 2 - he knew his stuff, 3 - he was a great leader, 4 - he would keep us all safe. and 5 - we would all have fun in the process. What better of a guide can I ask for? From what I could see, all the guides were great. I was so glad we had Chris though because he was a great fit for us. He knew what we were capable of, and pushed us through the middle of the rapids. Best of all? We never lost anyone off the raft, but if we had, I was confident he would have gotten them back on our boat quickly.

Best experience of our whole two week Colorado vacation. So thankful my Mom watched our four kids, and my sister's three kids so we could experience this together!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,167)
All reviews
in 48 reviews
"first timers"
in 41 reviews

Reviewed July 6, 2015

My wife and I carried my 18 year old son and 3 others to Colorado for their senior trip as they didn't want to do the typical beach trip. None of us had ever been white water rafting and they thought this would be fun. They were right! We had a blast. The entire staff was great. They provided everything we needed for our adventure. Safety was top priority. We had signed up for the Royal Gorge trip but due to the high flow rate we were bumped to the Big Sheep Horn trip. Can't imagine the Royal Gorge trip being any better than the one we went on. Taylor was our guide and she was very knowledgeable of the river and her job. We did get "dump trucked" but that seemed to make the trip that much better. If we are back in the area we will definitely use them again. We also used this outfit for our ziplining. My wife and I did the classic course and the boys did the extreme course. All guides were great.

Reviewed July 5, 2015

We are a family of 4 with 2 teenagers. We went to the Royal Gorge on July 3 and the water was very high. Royal Gorge Rafting was very safety focused because the water was so high. They screened everybody to make sure they could handle the trip. They supplied the wetsuit, booties, helmet and life vest as part of the package. They even had kayakers available in case people fell overboard (which they did). Our guide was Ernst, and he was excellent. It was a first class outfit and we felt they handled the crowd and high water well. We will definitely raft with them again. My kids felt it was the best thing they had done this summer!

1  Thank vvrosen
Reviewed July 5, 2015

This was yet another excellent trip we went on with my family. Our guide Cody was amazing and I would highly recommend him!! We definitely had some fun and I look forward to another trip again soon!

2  Thank bethA2667BU