Royal Gorge Route Railroad
Open today: 9:00 AM - 5:30 PM
Review Highlights
Santa Express Family getaway

Outstanding staff, service, and a route. Charming elfs, waiters, and Santa himself made it so... read more

Reviewed 2 days ago
Natalie M
via mobile
A fun experience

Pros: Bought tickets for the higher priced Vista Dome ($74 per person). The 2-hour round trip ride... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
rlaw24
Kansas City, Missouri
via mobile

1,710 results
All reviews dome car open car open air vista dome train ride club car dining car santa express bar car coach class coach seats prime rib dinner train north pole the river royal gorge bison burger
Reviewed July 7, 2017 via mobile

The trip is worth it! The train rides through the mountains and canyons with the river running along side.

Reviewed July 7, 2017

I very rarely write negative reviews, but I feel one is warranted in this case. There are several things to know about this trip. Firstly, the train runs very slow. It's actually rather boring. Secondly, there is lots of wasted time. We were told to arrive 45 minutes prior to departure. Then when we got to the halfway point, the train sat still for 20 minutes with no explanation as to why. Then when we got under the Royal Gorge bridge, we sat still for another 10-15 minutes. Thirdly, we ordered drinks right when we got on the train but the drinks never came. The waiter was in a tough spot He was very apologetic and kept saying that the bar was slammed with orders. We finally got our drinks at the end and they didn't charge us because of the long wait..which was the right thing to do. My suggestion is to avoid this attraction. But if you do go, I recommend spending most of your time in the open-air car.

1  Thank Dave W
Reviewed July 7, 2017

Upfront: Get a "Vista Dome" car. Worth the extra money. You can always get up and walk around and hang out on one of the open cars too. My wife and daughter had not ridden a real train. That in itself was worth the treat. The train takes you through the Royal Gorge and back. You see a lot of spectacular scenery and go right under the bridge. The dome car we rode in served food. I had breakfast and it was well worth it. They apparently cook to order right there on the train. Hot, quick, and reasonably priced. I would take the ride again if we are ever back in Colorado.

2  Thank Michael W
Reviewed July 6, 2017 via mobile

We had a nice ride up the Royal Gorge. We were upgraded from our reserved club car to great seats in the car with the vista dome. We enjoyed good breakfast burritos on the way up the Gorge. For the trip back down we stood in the open air car. The views were spectacular. Definitely a nice way to see the Gorge and learn some Colorado history from the commentator too.

Reviewed July 6, 2017 via mobile

If you are lucky enough to be on the river side, you do have a great view. Yhe rock side however is just that. Rocks two feet out the window and bot,much else. The staff is a little pushy with selling you pictures and upgrades. Very simple menu, yet the staff didn't know what came with our meal plan after be ordered the breakfast package in advance. Called a few days early to request river side and got attitude that tickets are random so good luck. You can stand in the open observation car if you don't mind being cramed with half the train in the 99 degree heat. Our hostess brought us our meal and other than that we didn't see her as we were outside. Our food was prepaid and she was confused on what that meant. Drinks were watered down soda and warm yogurt was waiting in the window for us upon arrival. Who knows how long that sat there.... after getting generally poor service and not really needing our hostess we didn't leave a tip, I mean she really didnt have to help us at all. She came by and loudly asked us why we didn't tip, because "she did everything in her power to make us happy." Honestly felt like the whole trip was a tourist trap. Cars were hot and muggy, food cars were smelly. All in all I wanted to love this trip as we had been looking forward to it for a long time, but it just wasn't that good of an experience. If they would have a competent staff, stop pushing the gift shop and pictures, and allow you to choose seating in advance I would take this trip again. Until that happens though I think we will pass in the future.

2  Thank travelingwithpurpose