“Beautiful and relaxing”

Royal Gorge Route Railroad
Ranked #11 of 18 Tours in Canon City
Type: Rail Tours, Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: F-7 streamlined locomotives follow a route along the "Grand Canyon of the Arkansas River" and feature Twilight and Dinner trains.
Reviewed January 3, 2012

This railroad is a perfect way to see Royal Gorge. We took the afternoon train, as opposed to the nighttime dinner train, because we wanted to see the scenery in the daytime, and we had a delicious lunch aboard one of the Vista Dome cars. You can see beautiful views from the comfort of the railcar ... or you can walk to the open car area and fully experience the Gorge in its magnificence. If the latter is your choice, you might as well buy the less expensive tickets, rather than paying for the Vista Dome, and spend your time on the open car. Either way, it's well worth the time and money!

1  Thank twilacrr

Reviewed December 30, 2011

Purchased dome tickets for the Santa Express. I purchased the dinner option. We boarded 1 hour prior to departure. The waiter didn't take our orders until the train left. This was disappointing. We were eating as we got to the North pool. The food was ok. The drinks were expensive and watered down. I would recommend eating before you get on the train.

The North Pole was fun. My son had a blast. Santa visited with each child.

Reviewed December 26, 2011

I booked this train ride through Royal Gorge well inadvance and thought I read the fine print carefully. Having been on many trains (Napa Wine train, Maryland train, Euopean train lunches, etc) we were looking forward to relaxing on our 10th anniversry with some drinks and eac other's conversation. I even booked the vista dome thnking with assigned seating we would have a table for two and hopefully a lovely view of Royal Gorge.

When we were shown to our seats i was really excited because it was just like the wine train in Napa. A nice table with a roomy seat on each side facing the river and gorge. As soon as I took my jacket off the waiter explained that TWO MORE people would probably be sitting at our table and to be prepared. My husband and I are average sized but were shocked to see Royal Gorge Train crowding 4 people at a table that has been set up for two on every other train designed similarly. Once the other couple arrived the waiter offered a much smaller booth for two facing the passing stone wall on the other side of the train if we wanted to move. Of course neither of us wanted to give up the view of the gorge for the entire trip so there we were with total strangers crammed in like sardines sharing two menus between 4 of us on our anniversary.

I don't blame the couple seated at our table as none of us knew how it would end up but I do wish this establishment had been more clear that if you want a table facing the gorge you will be sat with other people unless you are already a party of 4. We wouldn't have bothered with the vista dome seating assignments and extra cost had we known we'd have absolutely zero privacy. If you'd like to enjoy this beautiful gorge don't bother booking the vista dome and just do as others have said and get a general seating assignment and hang out in the open car. This would be a great experience for families and kids as well as anyone in a group looking for a social intermingling experience. If you want time alone with your significant other for talking and catching up in a more intimate level don't expect to get it on this train....unless you want to face a rock wall the whole time.

3  Thank AndiS77
Dean R, Manager at Royal Gorge Route Railroad, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2012

Thank you for your review. While it is true that parties of two are seated across from other parties of two, guests can always request a private table for an additional fee- $48 or $49 (depending on the class of service) for 2012. All of the seats in the dome cars are four person booths- very similar to restaurant style booths. In fact, it does not matter whether you are seated on the river side or rock side, tables are filled with four guests before filling subsequent tables.
This allows us to accomodate as many guests as possible on every departure.

Typically our reservations staff try to ascertain if guests are celebrating a special occasion. In this instance, it would have been best to suggest a private table. I am sorry that your experience was not what you had expected. Feel free to call me anytime to discuss your situation.

Thanks again for your review, and happy belated 10th anniversary.

Reviewed December 19, 2011

We took our 3 1/2 year old daughter on the 6pm Santa Express Train last weekend. First of all, she is in love with trains right now, so it was magical for her to take her first train ride. They do a really good job of decorating and giving every segment of the ride a festive feel. The journey to the "North Pole" was lit with Christmas lights, lighted trees, and Santa waiting and waving to the kids outside his Workshop. We sat in Coach class, which was quite comfortable and adjacent to the full service bar (my husband and I appreciated this :)

they have afternoon trips as well, but I would recommend the 6 pm if you can. We will definitely take her again, and our son will be old enough to enjoy it in the next few years, too.

Reviewed December 11, 2011

This was a fun way to spend a few hours and watch the scenery go by. We reserved seats in the Vista car and it was worth the extra dollars. The breakfast was very good, but their kitchen was very backed up and it took a long time to get our food--which was a drag with our kids seeing everyone else eating. The ride along the river was fun and it was exciting to watch all of the river rafters. The view from under the bridge was really a great way to see it. The seats were comfortable and the ride was smooth--and air-conditioned.