“Ride in the cab for a once in a lifetime experience!”

Royal Gorge Route Railroad
Ranked #9 of 18 Tours in Canon City
Type: Rail Tours, Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: F-7 streamlined locomotives follow a route along the "Grand Canyon of the Arkansas River" and feature Twilight and Dinner trains.
Evergreen, Colorado
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 188 helpful votes
“Ride in the cab for a once in a lifetime experience!”
Reviewed July 29, 2011

My wife and I rode in the cab with the engineer on a beautiful Colorado afternoon in early July 2011. It was an experience I would describe as "epic."

Looking at photos of the train online, I was concerned that the windows in the cab may limit the view. Wrong! The views were spectacular from the cab (though the engineer did confirm that the best views are probably in the open air car). I am puzzled at the people who did not find the scenary impressive. You are in a narrow canyon with a river along its side pretty much the entire length of the trip. You have an unmatched view of the Royal Gorge Scenic Bridge. You may see bighorn sheep and other wildlife. In short, the views were awesome.

Regardless of the views, being in the cab was trully an amazing experience. Listening to the engineer communicate with the conductor, watching how he operates the train, learning about the train signals-- all very interesting. The engineer even let me sound the horn once-- probably the single best moment of my vacation, what fun!

If you are in the tourist trap that is Canon City, this is a nice way to get away from the crowds and relax for a few hours. If in the cab, it is just you and the engineer, so no screaming kids, scrambling to get a seat with a good view, waiting in lines to board the train, etc. In sum, being in the cab was well worth the extra cost and made a vacation "activity" an "adventure" that we will never forget. Thanks for the memories!

4 Thank snipesmorris

New Lisbon, WI
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Actually took my 90 year old mother on train”
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We sat in the "Vista Dome" of the Royal Gorge Train, which was nice for Mom. Train rides are always nice. Food was served. Not a great variety, but fine. Service was friendly, adequate but slow. The train goes up the gorge, then back--on the same track. I didn't think the views were particularly interesting, but Mom liked the trip. It was nice for old people and young kids. Unfortunately, I'm comparing the scenery we saw taking the train in Alaska from Anchorage to Seward, or traveling in the American and Canadian Rockies, or the Smokies. The tracks follow the Arkansas River, so we saw the rafters go by on rapids. The rafters were the most interesting thing we saw on the ride. If you take this ride, make sure your seats are on the river side of the train. It doesn't make any difference which way you're facing because if you're facing forward on the first half, you'll be going backward on the second--or vice-versa. Also, there is an open air car you can go to. It fills fast and there's no seating, so if you want to spend your time there, go right away.

1 Thank TinaCH
Tempe, Arizona
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great service, great food & great views from the domed dining car”
Reviewed July 27, 2011

The food, service and view from the domed dining car were beyond our expectations! The meal is truly gourmet, the wine selection extensive, the service first rate and of course the views from our table in the glass topped dining car and from the open air viewing car were exquisite. Though the domed dining car is more expensive, we felt it was worth the extra cost.

Ft. Worth, TEXAS
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“WAS A GREAT TIME!!!!!”
Reviewed July 25, 2011

We were traveling with our 18,17 and 7 year old. We did a Saturday morning train ride and had pre ordered breaffast tickets. It was a wonderful ride and the kids all loved it. We were in the Vista Dome and I highly recommend it!!!!
The Food was wonderful and freshly cooked but took way too long to get our order. This was a fun family attraction even though it was rather expensive.
I do recommend it and ould do it all again if asked!

1 Thank jennthia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Awesome we rode in the cap with the engineer”
Reviewed July 23, 2011

Well this is one fun thing to do with the whole family. Everybody was happy when we got back. My son and I rode in the front with the engineer that is a real expierience and will bw the closest you will be able to come driving a real train. If you not into trains this is still a must do. Enjoy on of the different cars they are all equal fun.

2 Thank sirpullsalot
world_travel_review, Owner at Royal Gorge Route Railroad, responded to this review, July 25, 2011
Thank you for the kind words! We are thrilled that you enjoyed riding in the cab with our engineer. It's one of our favorite places to be and we're one of the few railroads in the country that offers this experience. We look forward to having you aboard the Royal Gorge Route Railroad again in the near future.