“Oh NO. Find another place to eat.”

JB's Royal Gorge Taphouse & Grill
Ranked #13 of 81 Restaurants in Canon City
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Nestled in the heart of Historic Downtown Canon City, Royal Gorge Brew Pub is the classic Southern Colorado brewery. Located less than a mile from world class rafting, kayaking, and fly-fishing the RG Brew Pub is the perfect end to a day full of adventure and excitement. A great place to eat in Canon City Colorado!
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We went to Royal Gorge Brewing Co at the recommendation of the owner. We met the owner while eating at Pizza Madness. She's a super nice lady and she was very very helpful. She also owns Pizza Madness. Pizza Madness was amazing. Royal Gorge Brewing, NOT so much.

We went for lunch. Our server was rude. He was too busy trying to pick up a scary looking chick at the edge of the bar who ordered a platter of french fries and ate almost all of them by herself.

Hubby got the steak. Bread doesn't come with a lunch steak plate. Nor can you order a baked potato at lunch. We weren't told of this until our food arrived and hubby's plate was missing the bread and baked potato. He was asked to quickly order something else while the steak and salad were already there at the table.

I ordered the fish and chips. It was horrible. The fish was slick like slime. The crust was somewhat soggy. I normally like fish. My husband was even shocked. I tried my best to eat it. I don't like to complain. I asked our server (when I could get his attention) what kind of fish it was. He said it was from Vietnam. It was like eating a rancid cucumber. Whoa. You don't wanna do it.

My husband ate about half a piece of my fish. I asked him to because I thought maybe I was being too picky. Within 30 mins to an hour of eating there, hubby and I were both sick as dogs. He was in bed at our hotel. I was walking around the hotel gift shop trying to walk off the stomach pain. The whole next day we were both in bed with gastric issues. We lost about a day and a half of our vacation time being sick. I wouldn't go back there if it was the only place to eat in Canon City.

1  Thank Tabitha K

Reviewed September 6, 2012

If you like various micro-brews and good food then you have to stop here. Newly opened as I understand it and the owners seem to have put some $$$ into the place. I like had their Brisket Sandwich and my wife the fish. Both were very good...

Reviewed September 4, 2012

I was very happy to find this place -- they had fresh salads which were perfect before an outdoorsy afternoon. Their iced tea was also a treat after a 93 degree day. I don't drink, but my companion thought highly of their stout as well.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

I LOVED my sausage plate - it came with sauerkraut and spicy mustard. The buffalo sausage was especially good. The herby vinagrette on my house salad was good as well. We liked the blonde beer - perfect for a hot summer day. The only downside was the wait times - there were only two servers working the lunch shift on Labor Day weekend. They seemed harried but were cheerful and got everything right.

Reviewed August 30, 2012

Whoa. Stay away. We went to Royal Gorge Brewing Company after having a wonderful experience at Pizza Madness. The same lady owns Pizza Madness AND Royal Gorge Brewing Company. My husband and I had lunch at Royal Gorge Brewing. After our great experience at Pizza Madness the night before, we excitedly went there.

First, the serve was somewhat odd. He treated us like we were bothering him. He spent most of his time trying to pick up an older, heavy set, tattooed woman at the bar.

My husband ordered the steak. Although the menu stated that a baked potato was optional for the steak dinner and that bread would be included, we were informed when the meal arrived at our table that bread and baked potatoes are not served until after 5pm. Since we learned of this after the meal was served, my husband ate most of his food before an available substitute for a baked potato arrived at our table. Bread was refused by the server. He said the kitchen staff is very strict and that bread would not be available until after 5pm. At this time, it was approximately 3:30pm. If bread isn't included with lunch, it shouldn't be on the menu!

I ordered the fish and chips. The fish was disgusting. The first bite gagged me. It was fried but under the soft (NOT crisp batter)) the fish was SLIMY. Wow. It was horrible. I didnt want to complain. Maybe I was being "picky". I asked my husband to try my food. He said it was also slimy. Between the two of us, we ate about half of it. Within 30 mins of leaving there, our stomachs were hurting. Within an hour, my husband was laying in bed with terrible stomach pains. I was walking around our hotel gift shop, sweating in pain- having trouble standing up straight. My husband and I lost an entire day (plus) of our vacation. I thought we were going to have to end our vacation early. Both of us were miserable.

Everything was fine until we ate the slimy fish which the server told us as we paid, is from Vietnam. I didn't have the heart to contact the owner. In hindsight, we should have. I've had food poisoning two or three other times in my life. This is exactly what it felt like. Pick another place to eat. It's just not worth the risk.

1  Thank Tabitha K