“Don't go there.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Canon City
Royal View Campground
Reviewed August 17, 2010

We picked this campground soley on it's close proximity to the white water rafting trip we had booked. Our first impression was much like others. Very clean and quiet. When we got there in the afternoon my teenage son was hoping to use the pool. Turns out that they said the weather was too iffy so they decided not to uncover the pool. The second evening when my son questioned the owner about the pool being closed again the owner just said "Well, it's getting late and by the time I open it you'll only have an hour to use it so it's not really worth the trouble". We had a tent site which was very clean. We were allowed to build a fire. The other major inconveniences were the bathrooms. You need to buy tokens from the office for the showers, so plan ahead because the office practically has bankers hours. The night we were there someone had really messed up the bathroom sinks and they were completely clogged with sand or something. The office was already closed of course so there was no one to report it to.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
8  Thank jchristine15

Reviewed August 6, 2010

I must say this is one of the cleanest campgrounds out there, but that does not make up for the ugliness of the owner! He is the rudest person we have ever met!! My family has decided that he should leave the campground in the hands of his evening worker Deb as she is the only reason we would ever return to this campground. I am sure she will not stay long because Todd will run her off as a worker as he does his campers. I suggest anyone who goes to Canon City stay at a different campground. Thank you Deb for the only freindliness at the campground.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
10  Thank seeya5
Reviewed August 2, 2010

Overall, this campground is really clean and you can tell that the owners put a lot of time into it. I'm sure it's a tough job maintaining such a large campground and dealing with the public. BUT, if you hate people, it's OK to move on to that next career, really, it is..we just needed a place to stay overnight so we could go rafting the next day. We had to hear about the fireplace rule where you get FINED if your fire isn't out by midnight. You know, I'm a big girl and may not want to go to bed that early...sheeesh! Fire is a big deal in Colorado, yes it is, but Mr. Camp Owner, can you sleep if you don't go around and personally inspect every fire pit? Just curious...the wife greeted us with a scowl when we arrived an hour early, and said it would be an extra $5 to check in at that time. Give me a freakin' break. There were tons of empty sites, not like they had to clean one up like a hotel room...she creeped me out, you could tell she didn't like people. The guy who runs the place is pretty incongenial, as well...the fact that you have to pay for a shower on top of the price that you've already paid for a small gravel lot is ridiculous.

We didn't take advantage of the other amenities as we just wanted to drink a couple of beers and camp (surprised they let us drink beer). There are plenty of campgrounds in the area, maybe go to one where people want to be in the service industry and may potentially crack a smile.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
8  Thank Watundah
Reviewed July 27, 2010

WORST campground I have ever stayed in! The current owner Todd, must just hate people because he has absolutley NO customer service or people skills in general what-so-ever! He treats people like dirt; so bad in fact that my 3 year olds commented on his nasty behavior! The campground itself is nice, but very much overpriced for what you get. The advertised "heated pool" is ice cold and so murky, you can't even see underwater! The tent sites are small and some are located so absurdly, you couldn't even put a tent up. Beware to be treated like a 5 year old when you arrive. The 30 million rules are read to you out loud and if you ask to skip it and read them yourself, you get yelled at. The whole time I was there, people were complaining about Todd. I have never seen such horrible customer service in my life and can't imagine how he keeps the business running. As a business owner myself, I would NEVER treat my clients the way we were treated by him. Hopefully he stops being so miserable, but I wouldn't count on it from the many other reviews stating the same thing!

9  Thank abbeyharrison
Reviewed July 21, 2010

The owner/host of this facility is rude, borderline loony and obviously hates people, children and pets. When you check in, plan on having a long list of nitpicky rules that include fines read line by line to you as if you are a small child. They are overpriced compared to many similar parks in the area and will not refund under ANY circumstances. If you plan walking your small child or animal make sure you don’t deviate from the gravel path by 5 feet or you will be screamed at as if you broke the LAW! If you drive 5 mph over there 5 mph speed limit on the ¼ mile road in the middle of the field entrance, plan on being fined and yelled at as well. They lack picnic tables and fire pits. The voltage at their hookups is low so 30 amps is really equivalent to 25. As long as the current owner Todd is running this place, you will have a miserable time. I would rather stay at a parking lot across the prison before staying at this place. Other than that the park itself is clean has a great view.

8  Thank slowpokee
Reviewed July 13, 2010

We thought that we were familiar with Canon City having been there before & we thought we knew where to stay. Boy were we wrong. So unfriendly we left the next morning at 7:00am. Only because we had to wait for the end of quiet hour!
I should have trusted my gut instincts which were sending me red flags at check in.
I stood in line to check in. While I stood in line the management proceeded to recite the the COMPLETE list of rules , full page small print, out loud to the customer checking in in front of me. When it came time for me to hear the rules I very nicely said that I had listened while they were told to the woman in front of me. OH NO, that wouldn't do I had to hear the entire speech again,( not kidding 10 minutes) along with the rest of all of the other campers waiting to check in that were behind me in line. And these aren't your normal very body get along kind of rules or suggestions, these are RULES and you have to sign in triplicate that have been read the rules and that you understand them as RULES. Now come on people, we have a $300,000.00 truck and trailer.
The episode that ran us off was over our pet corgi. Have you seen the bumper sticker that says "My dog is smarter than your honor student" ?,well that about sums up this dog.
She jumped out of our camper door at 6:15 am ahead of my husband, she hit the ground first ahead of him while he was getting out and bending over to put her on the lead. RULES you know and as responsible pet owners I do not have a problem with that. The campground owner came running over and told us NO DOGS OFF OF LEAD! and we said fine we know & she's on a lead and he said NO SHE WASN'T HE SAW HER WITHOUT A LEAD AND THAT HE GETS VERY ANGRY WHEN PEOPLE KNOW WHAT THEY HAVE BEEN TOLD BUT DON'T OBEY THE RULES. And he was ranting this while she was standing there on the lead attached to my husband.
Stay FAR away from this place. It is no way to run a service and or vacation business.
And you can read the rules on line too but don't bother to memorize them because they will read them to you again when you check in.
I might add that he is also double the cost of the campgrounds within 1/2 mile. In addition to your camping rate they charge for shower tokens too.

Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
11  Thank dundonk
Reviewed July 12, 2010

This campground does not allow campfires! Even though the website and the email confirmation say that campfires are allowed. I arrived at the site and was told 'no campfires'. All of my meals were based on campfires, this was a big issue. I called other campsites, they allowed campfires. I asked for my money back and the owner (inconsiderate fellow) would not refund my money, even though his website and confirmation were misleading. Even the Freemont County website said campfires were allowed. The big issue was the owners total lack of consideration. Oh also the additional rules are a little ridiculous.

11  Thank summitcamper