“Interesting”

78 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“Interesting”
Reviewed March 16, 2014

I love history so I really liked this. My 9 yr old daughter also liked this museum. She learned lots. I wouldn't say go way out of your way to see this but if your in area I would say go see this. There is many interesting things you would learn going there. There are lots of stairs out front that are steep didn't see handicap access would call before going to find out before going. Stairs might be hard to get up if you have trouble walking.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank tazman569

Fort Collins, Colorado
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Historic Museum Very Unusual”
Reviewed February 13, 2014

This is a very different museum -- a prison museum. Worth a visit if you have some time but would not recommend it as a top attraction.

Visited May 2013
Englewood, Colorado
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Interesting and reasonable price”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

This is definitely worth stopping in. I am not much of a history buff but I found this very interesting. The price is reasonable and it's worth the extra for the headsets. You can take as much time or little as you like. I would say an hour is average.

Visited August 2013
Denver
68 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 105 helpful votes
“A Good Stop if you are in town”
Reviewed October 17, 2013

This was a spur of the moment stop as we traveled along Hwy 50 thru Canon City, CO. The audio tour is included in the price and the displays are in the actual cells of this former Women's prison. To be truthful, it was a little unsettling to park in the lot and hear the actual announcements in an active prison 25 yards away behind some of the most beautiful rock walls I've ever seen. No photos allowed in the museum or on the grounds, so there goes the annual holiday card! This prison has a colorful past and there are lots of actual newspaper articles to read. I would not recommend this for young children as there is so much reading to really get to the history. The young woman at the desk answered all of our questions and this museum is well-maintained. I'm not sure about handicap accessibility. There are additional displays in the basement and there are stairs to enter the facility. A good history stop.

Visited October 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 216 helpful votes
“Great collection of prison memorabilia”
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I stopped by here on my way out of Canon City upon the advice of the owners of iLean Ride Co, who pointed the museum out to me during my segue tour. The prison museum was very interesting; you have a choice between an audio tour or a self-guided book tour. I chose the latter and was glad I did as I was pressed for time. Some of the exhibits were more interesting than others. I really enjoyed learning about some notable prisoners, prison contraband, prisoner artwork and stories about escapes and riots. Some of the cells were a bit less interesting, including cells with pictures and plaques dedicated to former wardens.

My only real complaint is the very loud beeping noise that is made every time someone enters/exits the museum. The alarm is at the end of the museum (near the exhibits, on the opposite side of the museum from the front door) and it is extremely annoying to hear a constant loud beeping as you're trying to view the exhibits.

Visited September 2013