“As awesome as all the reviews claim? Yes, that awesome.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Badger Creek Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Canon City
Badger Creek Ranch
Morristown, New Jersey
“As awesome as all the reviews claim? Yes, that awesome.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

Maybe you won’t go here to become a Cowboy, but odds are high you’re going to feel like one at Badger Creek Ranch. It’s in the middle of nowhere; there is way more wildlife than humans. You’ll ride through the open range of grassland, mountains and forests. You’ll go out to the cattle that are scattered over the ranch. Do they look healthy? Are all cattle on board? Do they moo? Yes, they do – and you won’t hear much more.
Enjoy the silence, and every now and then Eric’s going to tell you tales about the place you cross or see, which won’t be just places anymore, it will be “The mountain where….”, or “The rock that looks like…”
Slow down. If you want to be alone but not lonely, relax on the red couch in the middle of the bunkhouse’s porch. Sammy, a dog, will quietly join you just seconds later. And the same couch on the same porch is an ideal spot to watch the stars at night and listen to the yowling of the coyotes.
Though, when you’re back home and you think you became a cowboy – forget about it, ‘cause a real cowboy, does he sleep till eight in the morning, does he jump on already saddled horses, does he have the comfort of such delicious breakfast, lunch and dinner as those Sue prepares – every day? That’s not a real cowboy life, that’s a dream – but those are parts of the ingredients for a great vacation, where dreams come true for a limited time.
We’ve been there in late June 2013 for three days and as many other reviews already mention – that’s quite short. But even if you have only three days on hand, it’s still absolutely worth it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Grobmotoriker_NJ
Sue727_11, Owner at Badger Creek Ranch, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear Grobmotoriker,

Now, after a review like that I truly expect to see you as our ranch neighbors soon. Thank you so much! Thanks for sharing your amazing photos with us too! I think they are some of the best photos of the ranch I have seen. We hope that you may consider a return visit before you return home. Great to hear from you. Bis Bald.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

Ranch owners Sue and Eric were FABULOUS and perfect hosts! They filled our bellies with delicious food and our hearts with Colorado's beauty. We are horse owners who came to Colorado looking for a very different equestrian experience. First and foremost we were very impressed with the quality of Badger Creek's horses, tack and facility. Again, their horses were very well cared for and seemed to really enjoy their jobs on the ranch. We found the remote location to be peaceful and very relaxing. Highly recommend to anyone wanting a smaller, more personal vacation.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Sue727_11, Owner at Badger Creek Ranch, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
It was a great experience having you guys here. Truly enjoyed trading horse tales. I know Eric enjoyed riding with you and thanks for being so good to the horses. Hope to come visit you when you open that B&B with those world famous blueberry muffins....Thanks again!
Cologne, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

I went to Badger Creek Ranch for the second time this year (I have already been there last year) for two weeks. And one thing is for sure: I will go there again. It is such a great place and Sue and Eric make it perfect. I always felt warmy welcome and it was never a problem at all, that I travelled there alone.
The bunk house has two very nice guest rooms. Each room has it's own bathroom and two king size bad. The rooms also include a lot of nice western details. The porch is a great place to relax in the afternoons or take a nap.
In the mornings we usually went for rides and saw a lot of great spots and amazing wildlife (we saw a bear one day!). You also can take part in real ranch life by checking cattle or even moving cows. And all in a beautiful countryside. Eric does a great job leading the rides and explaining a lot about the history and some interesting places.
The horses are also great. During my stay I rode everyone of them and I still can't decide which one I like best. For beginners there is a horse named Gus who is always takes care of his rider and has such a lovely character.
If you want to go off the ranch you can go to the creek nearby or drive off to ghost towns, hot spings, or go for hikes or mountain bike tours. It is a great place to pefectly relax and to have some adventure at the same time :).
This year we did a lot of roping, trying to catch a (wood) cow. This was so much fun!
And the food is fantastic. Sue is a great cook, I have never eaten so many good things. I still miss banana cream pie and all the other great things.
My two weeks went by too fast, I was really upset to leave. I had such a great and enjoyable time and so much fun. For me the best place to spend my summer holidays.
I really look forward to my next trip meeting Sue and Eric at Badger Creek Ranch again.
Angela from Germany

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Sue727_11, Owner at Badger Creek Ranch, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Angela, you are too kind. Thanks so much for all the great comments. Getting your email that you wanted to return this year for 2 weeks was the highlight of a winter day. You are the kind of guest that makes this life so much fun. Keep in touch and we hope to see you again!
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

We just returned home and already miss Badger Creek Ranch. We spent three nights on the ranch (not long enough) and enjoyed every minute of it. At first I wasn’t sure what to expect since we drove from Breckenridge down to the ranch, the last 25+ miles was on a dirt road! Beautiful country.

When we arrived, Sue and Eric greeted us and we almost instantly felt like old friends stopping in for a visit. After unpacking we took a nice hike onto the ranch and checked out a few rock formations, canyons, and just the pure beauty of the sounding mountains.

I am a novice rider, but Eric put me on Gus, a great horse with a great personality. Eric made me go through some basic steps in the round pen prior to going out on our first ride. I felt very comfortable with Gus and the attention I was receiving from Eric. He was aware of me, but did not hover or make me feel like I was a novice rider. That first ride was awesome. We rode on their expansive ranch for miles! Over the next three days, the rides got even better.

One fun highlight was to have a visit by one of Sue's and Eric’s neighbors, Carl. He brought a couple of his HUGE Suffolk horses. He hooked them up to a wagon and we all went for a ride, albeit bumpy, through part of the ranch. Everyone got a chance to drive the team. Carl even let me ride on top of one of the horses….. it was like sitting on a comfy sofa!

Great, great trip. Very relaxing. It was fun imagining who had walked on the same grounds a long time ago. Looking forward to what it will be like to return, which we plan to do.

TIP: Stay as long as possible…. 3 days seemed too short. The ranch is at about 9,000 feet elevation, so it is dry and can get cool in the evenings. Also, bring a big appetite - Sue is a fantastic cook!

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 24Simon
Sue727_11, Owner at Badger Creek Ranch, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Hey guys,

Thanks so much for those kind words. It is always so much fun to have people here like you! I was so impressed that you had taken a few lessons before you came to enhance your vacation.
We look forward to seeing you again, your welcome anytime!
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

I stayed at Badger Creek Ranch for a week after finishing graduate school in May 2013 and absolutely loved it. I rode in the mornings and did stray work I brought with me in the afternoons. Every day I was impressed by how expansive the ranch felt and by the calm it instilled in me. Eric and Sue are fantastic people: really welcoming, smart, and funny. Great people to spend time with on rides, at (the very yummy) meals, and out by the horseshoes game. A beginner on horseback, I was comfortable riding out in the open alongside Eric and left planning to spend more time riding in the coming year. Make sure you stay up late enough at least one night to see the crazy array of stars visible from the ranch - a different world from the city in which I live. The amazing terrain and gorgeous views stay in mind after you leave; I'd return in a heartbeat.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Sue727_11, Owner at Badger Creek Ranch, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Hey EU,

Thanks so much for kind words. You were a perfect guest to help kick off our 2013 season!
Good luck with all your summer projects.
West Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

My family and I recently spent the weekend at Badger Creek Ranch and the experience was outstanding. "Picturesque" is not overstating the location - gorgeous rolling hills high in the Rockies, far from any disturbance from traffic noise, lights etc. Eric and Sue are terrific hosts. We were spoiled with three home cooked meals a day, complete with desert!

The horseback riding experience was tremendous. Eric and his wrangler are great instructors, and their horses are beautiful and easy-going. We spent each morning riding through the hills, came back for lunch, and then had the afternoon free to hike, play horseshoes, or just relax.

My family and I highly, highly recommend Badger Creek Ranch.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Sue727_11, Owner at Badger Creek Ranch, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Thanks Russell! We truly enjoyed having you and your family here. Hope the rest of your vacation was great! Come back anytime.
Rochester, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

Stayed at Badger Creek Ranch in September and had a great time. It was very relaxing and a nice change of scenery. Loved all the horses and had a fabulous time riding every day. I personally enjoyed being so far from civilization and high in the mountains. Eric and Sue are terrific hosts and go out of their way to make sure you are comfortable. I loved being around Eric and watching his great horse skills. There is much to learn from him. Sue is an unbelievable cook and hunger is one thing you do not have to worry about. I will definetely return if ever given the chance. Thank you very much Eric and Sue!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends