“Have to go on if you have a motorcycle”
Review of Skyline Drive

Skyline Drive
Ranked #2 of 31 things to do in Canon City
More attraction details
Owner description: A narrow, one way road that is not suitable for RV's or over-size vehicles and that offers three miles of thrills.
Des Moines
55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 83 helpful votes
“Have to go on if you have a motorcycle”
Reviewed June 22, 2014

This is a paved, one way, mile long scenic drive just to the south of Canon City. The road is incredibly narrow and you follow the ridge line which just falls off on both sides for the majority of the ride. The last half has a couple of very tight corners. There's a couple of small pull offs on the way up and a larger one at the top. As I said in the title its a wonderful little drive on a motorcycle.

Golden, Colorado
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“A drive to remember!”
Reviewed June 21, 2014

IThis is a not so well known way to entertain friends in the Canon City area.

What it is, as you might guess, is a drive up to the very top ridge along the mountain bounding the north side of the road heading into town.

As you drive through the gated portal the scenery is quite nice. As the road narrows, you begin to wonder if this is a one way road or not. The road narrows still as it ascends upwards. Before you know it, you are suddenly on TOP and looking down at the little toy cars driving along the tiny freeway below.

Since my wife was driving, we were moving slowly and the views were panoramic on both sides of the mountain. I was enjoying myself. My wife was not.

You see, there is not too much on either side of the road in regards to additional pavement. In fact, one false move and you could go plummeting down the face of the mountain.

She stopped the car and asked me to take over driving. I told her I couldn't. She askedwhy and I said "Open your door". When she did she saw that there wasn't even room to walk around the car. Being the trooper that she is, she continued forward white knuckles and all.

There actually is a parking area about midway or so where you can get out and look around and take pictures. She made it there and we all got out and looked around. It really has spectacular views.

Continuing onward the road is better and eventually you start to descend. You come out on a city street behind the prison in town.

Signs say that Skyline drive was built by prisoners in the 1930's.

My wife asked me why I suggested she drive today. I replied "Well, you are always telling me that you are a better driver than me, so today I let you prove it!"

And yes, we are still married.

Visited May 2014
4 Thank Robert C
Grosse Pointe Farms, Michigan
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Scary...palms were sweating the whole way”
Reviewed June 18, 2014

It is pretty scary drive...BUT WELL WORTH IT......Great areas to stop and view / take pictures. Takes about 25 - 30 minutes for the whole drive....

1 Thank GPFarms
Canon City, Colorado
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Great View; Interesting Old Road”
Reviewed June 18, 2014

View dinosaur tracks from underneath on the way up this interesting one-way road built in 1905. Notice the arch at the entry with a stone from every state. The entrance is off US 50 about 3 miles west of Canon City and you drop down into an interesting old residential area near Downtown Canon City. From the top of this Dakota Sandstone Hogback you'll see the interesting geology of the area,

2 Thank jim81212
Minnesota
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Amazing!”
Reviewed June 15, 2014

It was breathtaking! The road is narrow and doesn't seem big enough for a car sometimes but excellent views!