“A beautiful way to relax in comfort...”

Rio Celeste Hideaway Hotel
Reviewed June 5, 2014

This was a wonderful place to stay. Just at the beginning of the rainy season, this place was so very nice. The rooms are little houses. VERY highend amenities and as tropical as you can get without living in the jungle... You need to be prepared for the ride there. It's 12K off the main road and if it's raining, it will be like offroading. You dive to the middle of nowhere and the you arrive to the main entrance and you feel like you've stepped into an episode of fanasy Island. Minus Tatoo of course. You're greated with a refreshing drink and cool wet cloth for your hands. The lobby alone will take your breath away and it just gets better the farther you explore. Each room is so very private and most have a great jungle view. Ask for rooms 1-8, and stay away from room 16. The view from 16 is the walkway to all the other rooms... Be prepared for higher food and drink prices due to the farout location. Oh, if you're a drinker, you may need to ask for a Dbl in each drink. You can watch the bartender pour your drink and watch the alcohol going in, but it just doesn't ever taste like there's any in your drink. Very, Very good food. A tad pricey, but the best food I had on my nine day six hotel visit to CR. three hot tubs poolside and a really nice pool. You can hike to the Azul river and I do mean hike. You do get to see the wonderful wildlife and plants. If you want to see the waterfall (I didn;t go...) it's a half-day trip. I wasn't there long enough to make it to the waterfalls, but I did hike down to the river. Not as blue as you would think from the hotels pictures, but still a tad blue. A really nice place to stay.
OH, don't forget the only way there is from the San Jose airport and that's a long ride... I stopped in La Fortuna for two days and then went to the Hideaway. Much easier of a trip.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 16. No view... Ask for room #2, You WILL thank me.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Wingnut1751

Reviewed June 4, 2014 via mobile

Walking paths through jungle gardens to every bungalow! This hotel was a breath of fresh air! We loved the area. Fewer tourists and the nicest Costa Rican locals. The bartender invited my husband and friends I was traveling with to the local rodeo in Katira. What an experience! He was so sweet, even introduced us to his family! The rooms were breath-taking. Gorgeous carved wood furniture, two showers, a huge bathroom area, and very comfortable beds with soft linens! The pool area was perfect, just like the pictures! Lots of fun and adventurous things to do. My group REALLY enjoyed the tubing down the Rio Frio with Beto and Wilson! The rapids were level 3-4 and we laughed the entire time. Bring sneakers you don't mind wearing in the water! I could not say more positive things about our stay at Rio Celeste hideaway. If you want a "jungle experience" in Costa Rica you cannot go wrong staying there! We will be back to see our new friends! Hi Grevian!

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed June 3, 2014

This hotel is incredible, especially considering the price. My girlfriend and I stayed here for two nights when we first arrived in Costa Rica and were blown away by the hotel's beauty. Though the road to get there is rough if you come from Bijuaga (TIP: If you're coming from the south or west, drive the extra distance to Upala! We had a 4 wheel drive, and were still slipping and sliding down sheer mud and sand hillls on the Bijuaga road) the destination is well worth the trip.
Each "room" is really its own little cabana which is somehow designed in such a way as to never see any neighbors, or really much of the path. You feel secluded. And they are incredibly spacious.
We also booked a massage, and this was the best massage of our lives. Extremely professional and the setting was beautiful.
The food in the restaurant is superb (I recommend the salmon). Many many hotel restaurants leave something to be desired, but this one was incredible.
The private hotel hike down to the river is quite nice too, especially if you want to take a dip in the insanely blue water (the national park has rules against it.....). Quite fun to go whooshing down the rapids on your back.
All in all, this was an incredible hotel, extremely well designed, and the staff was unbelievably friendly. I strongly recommend it.

Room Tip: Drive to Upala. Do not take the Bijuaga road.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 31, 2014

We can't recommend this hotel enough- it was truly a mix of authenticity, comfort, and beauty. The grounds are so well maintained. Don't miss the walk to the river - and make sure you swim when you get there - it's unbelievable.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We spent 1 night at this hotel and I wish it could have been more! The hotel room was amazing with a great balcony that has a view to the forest. It is truly stricking. The bathroom is very pretty and spacious, I particularly liked the fact that there is an outdoor shower so you can choose where to take a shower.

Service was incredible, every single waiter or person in the hotel was extremely nice and eagger to help you. The food was amazing- the tomato creme was outstanding and we had meat which was also very very good.

I loved this place and would LOVE to come back. You must visit this place if you're staying near Rio Celeste.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 27, 2014

I will summaries by saying that you need to visit this hotel!

It is set in an incredible location and the fact that it has a walk down to the river with swimming facilities is just out of this world!

The hotel pool and ground is beautiful and the fact that the room look onto the rainforest is just incredible!

I would only say that the dinners could have been slightly improved give how extraordinary everything else was but I do need to mention that we spent Christmas eve so perhaps the buffet was not as great as the restaurant usually is, that is not to say it was good!!!

The room were again beautifully decorated and very comfortable, we loved the out door shower!!!

The staff is very helpful and attended to our every request even before our arrival.

It is true that the access is tricky but honestly any costa rica vehicle will make it, it is easier in a 4x4 but not essential I tell you the locals work wonders! In any event it is a road trip worth taking on!

The activities offered in and around are also incredible and for our family the very best in costa rica. We did a hike which catered for a 4 year old all the way to a 69...and all walked out promising we would do it again. The kids organised by the hotel was just great!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 25, 2014

The hotel is a true hideaway.It's off the key tourist tracks, requires either a SUV or a good driver willing to take a sedan up the gravel road. The hotel is 1500m from the entrance to the great Rio Celeste River National Park and even has it's own jungle path curved out to reach the river. BTW, there is a nice stand with towels next to the river so it's easy to take a swim.

One of the best things about the place are the room or should I say: huts. Very spacious, great bathroom inc. an outdoo shower. Loads of room for clothes and extra places to sit down.
The place is also v.clean altough the hot spring pools will soon require a refresh. The restuarant serves really good food but it's overpriced. You do not have too many alternatices outside the hotel (one soda and one other hotel restaurant). Having said that the quality was really good and portions big.

The service was ok, but I have seen better. For example I was surprised no one offered the melex to take our bags up to the hut... The guys in the restaurants on the other hand were really nice.

The biggest drawback from our point of view were the breakfasts. You had the standard american set, fruits and 1 dish to chose from 2... We have had better breakfast in 2 star hotels in Costa Rica. Big shame not to have even pankaces, omlettes as an alternative.
Spa prices were ok, a bit on the top end, but affordable.

The pool was nice, but do not expect attractions for the kids. It's not a pure family destination so we knew this before arrival. What was a surprise is a lack of even a small playground. There was actually a nice lot a bit away from the crowd that should make a great spot for one :)

To sum up: if the breakfast will be improved, the price tag lowered on the stay and in the menu card, the hotel should get more 5 stars votes. I give it 4 as t the rooms, the remote location in the jungle near the Celeste river still deserve a very good rating.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
#13 of 59 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
Rio Perdido
Rio Perdido
#1 of 1 in Bagaces

Been to Rio Celeste Hideaway Hotel? Share your experiences!