“The Oasis at the end”

Rio Celeste Hideaway Hotel
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Getting there just plain sucks....no other way to put it....the road that leads to the place is reminiscent of an offroad dirt bike track...but once there, it truly is wonderful...simple but yet luxurious....just the right touches everywhere....the villas are just so thoughtfully conceived...from the balcony to relax on to the room layout to the jacuzzi tub to the outdoor shower that is wonderful for those that are a little adventurous...and the real bonus is the food and food service....because u really dont feel like leaving given the terrible journey to get out and the wonderful surroundings within....and the food is just really wonderful, priced quite reasonably and the wait staff are a lot of fun....we were scared that given the fact we were kinda trapped that the food would be grossly overpriced and not very good...well the opposite was true...had a world class ceviche dish that i will forever remember....and we must have had what seemed like 10 or 12 chocolate soufflees while there....would strongly recommend anyone going to take the back road from guatuso versus the roads around katira to get there...its a far better back road and leaves u only the last 4 kilometers of hell as u arrive instead of the 15 or so on the other routes...

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank cinful68

Reviewed July 3, 2012

After 2 years of marriage, my husband and I decided it was finally time to take our honeymoon. We purchased a package for 3 nights at Rio Celeste on Living Social in Jan and due to schedules, couldn't use it until end of May.

We had never been to Costa Rica and didn't do that much pre-planning besides booking the hotel, plane, and printing out directions from Liberia. So glad we decided to wing it!

I had read many recs on here to rent a 4-wheel drive and not go the el cheapo small car route - very happy we did. You literally drive 10km on a road of giant rocks.

Once you arrive you will not want to leave - and this isn't because of the last 30mins of incredibly bumpy terrain. You walk into the open lobby with beautiful furniture and a serene pond filled with koi. You are immediately driven to your casita and your breath is taken away. The room looks EXACTLY like the pictures - intricate, well make wood furniture, a spacious bathroom with jacuzzi tub, outdoor completely private shower, and private balcony. We had #23 and our balcony was right in the middle of the rain forest. Never saw a monkey :( but still plenty of birds.

Rio Celeste Hike - our package included the hike with tour guide. Alex our guide was beyond informative and great. He truly loves his job and it shows. He was able to point out wildlife we would have otherwise passed and missed. The hike itself is quite grueling - def not for those out of shape. You def need to bring your tennis shoes. But the sweat was completely and totally well worth it. The water is not to be missed as you will never see anything like this anywhere else. THERE IS NO SWIMMING ALLOWED IN THE BLUE WATER. Even though the brochure you receive when you arrive indicates you should bring a swim suite & extra clothes, don't waste the backpack.

Horseback Riding & Sugarcane Juice - After doing the hike, we didn't have plans for the next day. We asked the front desk what they recommend and they said horseback riding. We booked it for the next day and Wilson picked us up with his horses at the front of the hotel. We rode through the neighborhood and then ended at his home nearby. His team had a feast of local food waiting for us (def did not need breakfast that morning). We also learned and helped to cultivate sugarcane juice!

Hotel - after each day's adventure we always knew the perfectly temped pool was waiting for us. We spent every afternoon at the pool reading and cooling off. We would stay until the storm would come. They have pool service for food and drink, and prob during the high months have a pool bar. There are also 3 hot tubs, each a dif temp.

Restaurant - you are pretty much stuck. The breakfast buffet was plentiful and had something for everyone. We ordered lunch one time by the pool, and it was good. Then 2 nights there was a buffet and one night it was a la carte/prix fix. Def preferred the buffet. I think they do the buffet when they are booked more. The night it was a menu, there were only 4 casitas occupied. I do wish they had room service as there were some nights we just didn't want to leave the room.

Spa - we received a $50 credit per person for spa services and so glad we did. I got the reflexoligy service and my husband got the stones. We both came away completely relaxed.

Time of Year - yes, it rained every day. Always an hour or two in the late afternoon/early evening. It was wonderful to enjoy it from the room with the balcony doors open. But then the power would go out. I think there were supposed to be emergency lights, but our light in the main room flickered and acted more like a strobe. It always came back on quite quickly, so we didn't mind. It just meant sitting in the dark with not much to do. Also, as soon as the sun sets you have to keep the doors to your room closed due to the bugs. There are hundreds just waiting to get in. However, because it was the low time of year, we pretty much had the pool area to ourselves and only had people in the neighboring casita for the first night. It was well worth the rain.

Would I recommend Rio Celeste Hideaway? Absolutely! In fact, already have.

Room Tip: #23's balcony is in the rain forest and you only have one neighbor. Some of the casitas' ba...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank NYCer2721
Reviewed June 21, 2012

This is a little gem found at the end of a long, tortuous car ride over unpaved roads. Beautiful rooms, good food, nice people and lush property. Went on the river hikes and enjoyed taking walks around the property and looking for birds every day. Enjoyed hanging out at the pool. Had a relaxing couples massage one afternoon. Some nights they served buffets for dinner because the hotel was relatively empty, but if you wanted, you could still order off the menu. I had no complaints about any of the food we had. All the staff were nice. It was a relaxing trip and would be perfect for a honeymoon.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank EWR-NJ-traveler
Reviewed June 20, 2012

We just got back from a five night stay at Rio Celeste (6/2-6/7/12). The resort is beautiful and the service is amazing. When we arrived we were greeted with a non-alcoholic drink (I believe it was mango juice). Our first room was Room 16 (which I highly recommend), this room was beautiful. The bed was a king size wood framed canopy style bed that had flowers and a towel swan on it. Unfortunately I was traveling with a male friend who didn't want to share a king size bed so we had to move rooms. We ended up in room 5 that had two double beds and was also nice but different from room 16. The room is a very nice size for two people and it is nicely decorated. The bathroom area was huge, a double sink vanity area, the toilet is separate from the main bathroom area and there is a sunken Jacuzzi tub along with double closets. The balcony is the whole width of the room with 2 nice wood chairs on it. There’s also a little fridge in the room along with a coffee maker and the condiments. I loved the outdoor shower so much that I only used the indoor shower once and it was due to we couldn't find the outdoor light switch. The room was a little musty but what do you expect when staying in the rainforest. The continental breakfast by far was the best we had in Costa Rica, the meal is very filling. With the meal you get coffee (which was amazing), orange juice and your choice of breads and pastries. You are offered either an American or Costa Rican continental breakfast. The only difference with the two (unless it was a mistake) is the CR breakfast you get corn tortillas and the American you don't. The orange juice by far was the best that I have ever had (fresh squeezed) in my life. There were only a few guests staying there while we were there. We eat at the restaurant 4 out of 5 nights and we were never disappointed. The tomato soup and asparagus soup were my favorites along with the cerviche (shrimp and fresh fish) and shrimp salad. I didn't have much of an appetite for dinner so I cannot recommend any entrees, I just kept eating appetizers. I do recommend flying into Liberia instead of San Jose. We flew into San Jose since we were planning on also going to Manuel Antonio, the drive is very long from SJO and it took us 4 1/2 hours. Make sure you get a GPS because you will never find the resort by looking at a map or getting driving instructions. I highly recommend going to Parque Nacional Volcan Tenorio (the rainforest) to see the blue lagoon and also Rio Celeste water fall. The hike is hard so wear hiking shoes and bring with you a waterproof poncho (it rained during our hike to the waterfall). The park entrance fee is $10.00 (US) and it’s well worth it. Across from the park entrance is a restaurant (sorry do not remember the name) and we had the most amazing lunch there for $6.00. Across the road from the park you can rent horses for $20.00 for 2 hours and also you get a guide. We did several day trips, Arenal (2 hours away) and La Fortuna (1 ½ hours away) during our stay at Rio Celeste. You will spend 30 minutes alone on that dirt/rock road before you get on a main road. We also took advantage of the pool and the 3 Jacuzzi’s at the resort. The customer service at the hotel is really amazing. They will bend over backwards to try and accommodate you. Wilson was one of our favorites at the hotel. The only thing I would recommend that the hotel do is spray mosquito repellent around the restaurant or put Citronella candles on the tables at the restaurant. I got chewed up just sitting at the table, I did use my repellent but it only attracted the mosquito’s more. It was hard eating a meal and slapping mosquitos away at the same time. I really enjoyed my stay at the resort and I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank christine p
Reviewed June 15, 2012

Our first recommendation is to pay the extra money to fly into LIberia. Rent a 4wheel drive car, GPS, and try to drive during the daytime. Be careful driving, even though the speed limits are low, because of people walking alongside the roadways and animals in the road (particularly dogs napping in the road). The hotel is remote, but very much worth the drive. Upon arrival, the reception staff were very helpful and extremely friendly. We could make international calls from the lobby phone for free and use their computers to check e-mail etc. The rooms are fantastic, with even your own private outdoor shower. There is a big deck, ours were all facing the rainforest. The rooms were large and very nicely furnished. The complimentary breakfasts were good and the dinners did not disappoint! We appreciated Oscar's help and loved Grevene and Gustavo's exceptional service, attention and friendliness. If you are looking for a quiet, peaceful, beautiful stay then this is the hotel for you! Be sure to visit the Parquet Nacional Volcan Tenorio and do the hike to see the Rio Celeste waterfall. We walked from the hotel to the entrance of the park.

Room Tip: Ask for a rainforest view
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Deanna_8
Reviewed May 28, 2012

What a positive surprise was to drive 4 hours from San Jose to reach this beautiful place. If you love nature and and walking in the jungle, this is perfect! Service is great, the food and hotel prices are ok, and the location of the hotel is just perfect!!!

Not recommended for children.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Luis C
Reviewed April 20, 2012

When i think of paradise, I now think of the rio Celeste hideaway hotel! We stayed here for three nights and it was by far my favorite time of our trip! The hotel is beautiful and welcoming! Our casita was much more than I expected and every detail was thought out in designing them! We loved sitting on private patio! The service was amazing - I was so impressed by how everyone was so quick to answer our questions or help us out... They made me feel completely spoiled for my stay there! We had massages and it was the best massage I've had! Steven was extremely welcoming at the front desk. Wilson did a fabulous job in the restaurant - the service was great and we enjoyed our food! The two people that stand out the most were Alberto ( best piña colada!!!) and Luis at the bar! I cannot say enough positive things about these two! I was amazed by their positivity and their joy of doing their job - making the best drinks around!!! The pool was a bit chilly for me so I spent my time in the hot tubs! I appreciated that the temperature was never too hot and I enjoyed the evenings there staring up at the night sky, enjoying a drink, and listening to the jungle! The only downside to our stay is that one of the days we stayed there was the cleaning day so the pool was closed the entire day. If we had known that we would not have saved that day as our relax at the pool day! We loved our time spent here and hope to make it back soon!

Like others have said either drive in the day with a good car or have the hotel arrange transportation. We did the later and it worked out great'

• Stayed: March 2012
#13 of 59 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
Rio Perdido
Rio Perdido
#1 of 1 in Bagaces

Been to Rio Celeste Hideaway Hotel? Share your experiences!