KOA Campground
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Buena Vista
See available hotels
Pinon Court Cabins(Buena Vista)
  • Pool
Palace Hotel(Salida)
Poncha Lodge(Poncha Springs)
View Hotel
All reviewscook shacktent trailerrunning waterbathrooms were cleantent sitesbasketball courtgorgeous viewsclose to townroad tripriver raftingcollegiate peaksfire pithot springscamperscampingcampgroundplayground
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Good views ,owners went out of their way to make sure everything was ok. Pizza was delicious, and to top it off they have free Ice cream social, which I forget. Nice cool night. Wife was happy about the place. and if she is happy I am very happy.

Room Tip: Stay at the cabins.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Joy P
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Our 1 rst time here, stayed in a Kabin, they had pizza and an ice cream social, holsters were very nice, asked about our every need, clean bathhouses, hot water and good pressure. Clean Kabin and even the gravel around it was freshly raked! Definitely stay here again!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dawn P
Reviewed October 11, 2013

This is the third time staying at the koa in buena vista. The first time we camped up in the rocks and the next 2 times we stayed in the cabins. The location withthe the views of collegiate peaks is fantastic. A 1/2mile up the hill you have to pay for these views. Cabin 10 has the best views. The only problem we had is when we ordered there breakfast they cooked one item at a time and our order took a hour and a half.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 26, 2013

This September marked eight years of returning to this campground that never disappoints! The view is incredible, the accommodations comfortable, facilities are well-maintained and management is always on hand to ensure a peaceful getaway.

I stayed in a cabin this year that offers kind of a private feel with a porch that overlooks the Buena Vista valley and Mt. Princeton on the horizon. I used to be a tent camper but have gotten spoiled by the bigger space offered by their cabins when staying for ten days. And speaking of spoiled, they have foam mattresses on the bunks but I've even stooped to adding an air mattress that really makes it close to the same as sleeping at home. ;-) Quite frankly, the cabin walls also help to block out noise from the two-lane highway that's maybe a quarter-mile away and the usual campground noise that tent walls just can't stop. The cabins don't have plumbing but they do have electricity and wi-fi which has become almost a requirement in my travels.

The shower house is centrally located and the water is hot and not just a trickle out of the shower heads like happens in some campgrounds. It's cleaned thoroughly at least once a day but also spruced up more often than that by the attentive staff.

The office/store has washers and dryers, ice, firewood, groceries, snacks, sundries, trail books and souvenirs. The attached rec room has a pool table, satellite TV lounge and a wall with huge topo maps of the area's trails.

The Cook Shack closes after Labor Day but when I have visited during the summer the breakfast is excellent, priced right, and eating at those picnic tables provides a view that no restaurant in town can match.

The owners and their staff are welcoming and anxious to offer services available at the campground but also happy to tell what's available in town. Whether recommending a hike for any level of ability or suggesting a trustworthy mechanic to a traveler 900 miles from home, I've always felt they've had their guest's best interest at heart.

I have read some of the negative reviews on this site and won't attempt an argument but I can say that my experience has always been that these folks are warm and inviting and work hard to keep an orderly campground for the good of all. I suppose that could mean stepping on toes if some don't want to abide by reasonable rules established for that common good.

It would be a shame for anybody to miss this place because of reading a review that only presents one side of a story. Mine included. Try it for yourself.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Planned a weekend camping trip with my wife and made reservations on 9/17 to stay 1 night, 9/21, at this KOA. Received a call very late on 9/19 from my mother-in-law indicating her sister is not expected to live through the night. Needed to cancel the reservation to attend to our family. Called on 9/20 to cancel the reservation. The cancellation policy on the reservation indicates that there is a 48 hour notice required or you will forfeit your deposit. As a business you make choices. Your choice was to enforce this policy and keep my deposit for one nights stay. I make choices too. And due to your lack of consideration for our circumstances I will not use your business in the future.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple