“Boot camp would be more fun!!”
Review of KOA Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Buena Vista
KOA Campground
Delta, Colorado
“Boot camp would be more fun!!”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We were treated like children from the second we arrived. There was a long line of people checking in when I arrived and my assigned cabin was directly behind the check in. I was told that I needed to wait to be escorted to my cabin by the golf cart. I had to wait for 5 other campers to be taken for them to drive me the 50 feet to my cabin. I was actually yelled at for telling them that I would just go myself.

I have 5 children with me ages 4,4,6,10,10. I told the children that they could go to the playground with their older sisters who have taken a babysitting course and are CPR certified. They were yelled at and told an adult had to be present at all times. One of my 4 year olds left her sunglasses and my 10 year old went to get them and they were told we were the worst family of the summer and sent back without their sunglasses.

They are not group friendly. There are to be no more than a small family size at each campground at any given time. We were able to have one person cook the food but we all had to eat at our own cabins. There was a group place but it was only available from 10am to 7pm by reservation only.

The staff was so rude and condescending!! Rules that the KOA set up are reasonable but the rules that these horrible people come up with to torture innocent families are way out of control. Power Trip is what would describe them!! These people give KOA a bad name. We love the KOA but these people are not holding up the KOA family name. We will never be back here!! Please do not judge all KOAs based on this one!!

6 Thank camper8384

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We have been camping in RV parks across the western US and Canada for 40 years. In all that time we have NEVER encountered any thing like we found at the Buena Vista KOA.

We reserved an RV site with this campground in early June 2013 for a stay in early August 2013. When we arrived we discovered that the site we had been assigned was not what we were led to believe it would be when we reserved.

We asked to be moved to a site that was more like what we presumed we had reserved. This request started an unbelievable chain of events.

It is impossible to describe in writing the anger, bullying and threatening behavior of the owners Sarah and Tommy Martin. Sarah will yell at you at the top of her lungs and not allow you to verbalize your complaint. You have to witness it to believe it. ANY complaint by a customer is met with threats to call the sheriff and have you evicted. I'm not making this up!!!

I will leave the name calling to other reviewers on this site but I must admit that I agree with them.

If you think it is just us....READ ALL THE REVIEWS....we aren't the only ones.

6 Thank Living-the-Dream33

Travelers are raving about these Buena Vista hotels

Carbondale
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Scroll through the terrible reviews and you will find that the owners are unstable, unprofessional, and rude. The camp ground has lovely views. When we drove in I told my husband it was pretty (and close to home) and that we should come back. Until this business turns hands I will not return. You really can't imagine business owners treating their customers this way until you see it with your own eyes. I'd imagine the guests who had an enjoyable stay were there when the owners were not present. Read the terrible reviews that date back to 2007 and believe them. I believe every single one of them happened. I also believe there are many other stories that didn't get shared. DO NOT STAY HERE. These people should not be in business. They are a terrible representation of our beautiful state.

4 Thank TrvlGrlAmanda
Cedaredge, Colorado
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We have had wonderful experience with many KOA campgrounds but the one in Buena Vista is the
worse place we have ever visited with the she devil herself the owner. We planned a Family Reunion
at this campground and then found they don't like kids nor family groups. I believe they have either
chosen a poor career choice or they have been owners way to long and need to get away from the
public. Our first encounter was to ask if any of our group had checked in (all under one reservation
with all our names listed) and were told we could'nt have this information because it was "private
information". Made no sense but we let it go. Next my son-in-law stopped to say "hi" on his was to
his cabin and was told he could park there and to get to his cabin or the parking lot for extra cars. He
was there at least five minutes or less and complied. We asked to be put as close together as possible
but was spread as far apart as possible including putting an RV between our owner and our cabin.
We had booked six cabins and one RV site. When the people for the campsite between us arrived, we asked if they would trade places so the wouldn't be between us. They were glad to do so and even
got an upgraded site at our expense us that brought the rath of the owner down on us. She threateded,
yelled and was just plain nasty. The RV's were returned to the original spots and we apoligized for
the problem. We were just ready to eat and our cabin with all our group gathered when husband and
wife owners appeared to invite all to a "mandatory" private meeting to go over the "rules" of camping.
We could finish dinner but be at the meeting at 8:00 p.m. Everyone including kids were required. We
all arrived and were help "hostage" because two of our group had a beer and one a rescue dog that
had problems being left alone in a strange place. He could let one of the kids sit outside with the dog
but he refused. They finally got on with the meeting after the beer was gone. We had "done nothing
wrong" but this was company policy to meet with groups. We shortly learned they would "over look"
our eating at the camp site that evening but it could not happen again. There was a "group" area for
us and we could schedule times for our meals beween 10:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. when it wasn't in
use by them for "profit making projects" like hot breakfasts and ice cream socials. This is rather
dificult with nine kids ages 4 through 11. They then said we could cook at one spot but after filling
plates everyone had to eat at their own campsite. This makes for a pretty awkward family reunion.
We also all had to be on our own campsite after 10:00 p.m. They would be watching us to make sure
we complied. If we broke any more rules, we would be evicted and the police called. We asked that
they just call the police right then and be done. At this point, they realized my granddaughter was taping
the meeting and they went ballistic and we had from then, 8:20 p.m. to 9:30 p.m., to be out of camp and
down the road. Police arrived and told us they are called their quite often for the same thing but it is
private property and they can do nothing. They tried finding us lodging for the night around the area
and were very helpful. We are all very well mannered and reasonal people but you can "bully" us
just so far and then we are done. They won't have to ever see us again but we hope we can help
someone else avoid the same stressful time. We were on the site for less then 5 hours. What could
they do with a whole weekend?

5 Thank Shirley C
Reviewed August 11, 2013

My family has been doing an annual family reunion for 20 years, the majority of which are at a Colorado KOA. We have family from all over the country that include retired and active duty military. Within 4 hours we were "required" to meet staff at 8pm for a mandatory group meeting. Walking into the meeting we were treated like children. We were Told we cannot hang out as a group at the sites, we cannot eat together unless it was at the group eating area (which is only open 10-7), and our retired vet grandfather was yelled at after he was asked a question and tried to answer it. Above it all, we were kicked out of the KOA for taping the strange and rude meeting on our smart phone and they called the police (the video is complete and I cannot wait to see what corperate says about it). Once the police arrived we asked why we were being kicked out and the owners said we violated infractions but they would not tell us which ones. Above all that they kept all of our $$ after we were there only a few hours and we had to drive 2 hours to the closet relatives home. Absolutely reprehensible!
These owners should have their KOA status revoked IMMEDIATLY.

• Stayed August 2013
4 Thank 4x4rw56
Granbury, TX
Reviewed August 6, 2013

This was our second "annual" trip to Buena Vista with our Boy Scouts to hike sections of the Colorado Trail. We stayed at the Buena Vista KOA campsite both last July and again this summer.

While the boys/men were on the Trail for 6 days, my daughter and I - the Support Crew at base camp - stayed at the KOA site and enjoyed our week again this year! Boys stayed with us a night before and after their climb.

This year we stayed in a variety of settings-tent site, primitive cabin, and finally Park model, while we enjoyed the RV site last year. We have thoroughly sampled the amenities offered by this campground and give a big thumbs up to them all.

The park is beautiful and quite natural looking. We spent many hours sitting in rocking chairs watching literally 40-50 humming birds enjoy the abundance of tended flowers and feeders maintained on the property. The breathtaking views of the neighboring 14ers took our breath away every day.

The bathrooms/showers and laundry facilities were always immaculate. The staff does a great job of keeping the campgrounds/facilities quite clean. This is no small feat, as some folks are pretty messy!

I was surprised to read negative reviews of staffers. I only saw some frustrated staffers when guests had pushed their buttons, ex: put muddy, wet tennis shoes in a dryer after a rain shower, or being a little gruff at check-in after travelling. When the guests are considerate and friendly, that was returned by the staff, in our experience. The owners, Tommy and Sarah, are super people! Their staff was friendly, and truly seemed to care about the guests' experience. Two staffers actually donated a couple of hours of their personal time off, and probably $25 in gas, to help shuttle one of our trucks to pick up our Trail hikers...Just being helpful, refusing anything but a handshakes and smiles as repayment.

The food is offered at KOA during the busier times of the week. Cook Shack breakfast was great! Ice cream social was sweet. And the pizza really is quite good and very reasonably priced...delivered right to your campsite. Perfect when you are too tired to prepare camp dinner! Firewood is also delivered right to your campsite!

I have read some of the rough reviews on this KOA, and hope that they are viewed through soft eyes. I'm sure staffers do have their crabbier days...I certainly do, however, in my experience, they are working to maintain a peaceful campground, where adventure seekers and families can enjoy clean facilities and a good night's sleep. Many guests are resting at night for serious physical activity during the day. Travelling there with our scouts (teenage boys!) on two occassions, we didn't run into unreasonable rules or attitudes. And no dog poop scattered from loose pets!

There is a very nice playground for the kids, as well as a gameroom with TV, games and pooltable/fooseball table. And for those parents complaining about their children not being able to RUN/ride bikes around freely in the roads, I have three kids and realize this is not the place for that. There are big motor homes, trucks, trailers, etc... Pulling in and out of the camp spaces, and people backing up in vehicles as they come and go. The rules protect the children's safety!!!! THANK YOU KOA for helping me not run over any young, unsupervised children.....

When my husband first suggested we stay at a KOA last year , I had no KOA experience. I was not too excited. However, I was so happy to discover what BV KOA has to offer, I lead the charge to return there this year. We were able to enjoy some rustic-feeling time outside, while never far from clean amenities and hosts that genuinely wanted us to enjoy our stay. Obviously this is the case for the majority of visitors, as the campground fills up routinely with repeat customers. That should say it all ......

THANKS BV KOA FOR 2 WONDERFUL TRIPS FROM BSA TROOP 2005 in TX! Hope to see you again soon.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Weezyrau
Colorado Rockies
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Turned out to be a very sweet overnight stay while otherwise on a business road-trip with husband - we happened to have camping gear in back of vehicle which was great, as cabins don't have bedding, stoves, running water, etc.

We stayed in the cabin pictured with the nice overlook view on this site.

Have never stayed at a KOA Campground, generally staying for business (casual) at hotels. But, local hotels that were $85 the last time we were in Buena Vista were $175/night this day. And other small motels were nearly $100.

Bathrooms were large and clean. Host couple was wonderful. No complaints.

We would stay there again, longer.

Room Tip: Tent sites, camper sites, small cabins - busy times, I hear they can book up so call ahead and reser...