KOA Campground
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Buena Vista
See available hotels
Pinon Court Cabins(Buena Vista)
  • Pool
Palace Hotel(Salida)
Poncha Lodge(Poncha Springs)
View Hotel
All reviewscook shacktent trailerrunning waterbathrooms were cleantent sitesbasketball courtgorgeous viewsclose to townroad tripriver raftingcollegiate peaksfire pithot springscamperscampingcampgroundplayground
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Turned out to be a very sweet overnight stay while otherwise on a business road-trip with husband - we happened to have camping gear in back of vehicle which was great, as cabins don't have bedding, stoves, running water, etc.

We stayed in the cabin pictured with the nice overlook view on this site.

Have never stayed at a KOA Campground, generally staying for business (casual) at hotels. But, local hotels that were $85 the last time we were in Buena Vista were $175/night this day. And other small motels were nearly $100.

Bathrooms were large and clean. Host couple was wonderful. No complaints.

We would stay there again, longer.

Room Tip: Tent sites, camper sites, small cabins - busy times, I hear they can book up so call ahead and reserve ideally. It is a Campground.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed 6 nights of tent camping. We got a site at the top of the hill, T16, with a view of Mt P. You can get a great view from most of the sites from what I can tell. All the sites have a table and fire pit. When we checked in, we were told that the staff would deliver wood, ice, or pizza if we wanted it. The restrooms are clean and stocked. Water temp and pressure was just fine. The laundry 6 washers and 6 dryers. Game room big enough for 30 people to fellowship during a 6 hour rainstorm. Any time we saw a staffer, they smiled and greeted us. The sites are cleaned after someone checks out and even raked, to ensure all the little bits of trash are picked up. There is a dog yard, playground, cookshack, church service, basketball, volleyball court, and horse rides. The horse aspect is a separate business from the KOA but is on the property. I liked going to visit with the horses to watch the sunset, they liked it fine when I brought the carrots. Some people were staying just a night, but there is enough to do to keep you very busy for at least a week. The temperature at night was amazing for sleeping. Daytime 80's. Most of the interaction I had with any staffer was with Tommy, the owner. He was always so warm, friendly, caring, and positive. He and the others really put in long days and it shows in the experience they deliver to their kampers. I was pleasantly surprised to see he was leading the Sunday service. These are good people and I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Campermom68
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Very friendly staff and amazingly clean bathrooms. We chose this KOA Kampgrounds because it was close to Wilderness Aware Rafting (WA). Didn't realize until the next morning when driving to WA just how close. We could have walked there. Can see it from the camp site. It was beautiful scenery. Not the place to camp though if you are looking for grass, none in sight. They have plenty to keep the kids busy with a basketball court and volleyball. We camped on the group site with our scouts. Could have saved room if we had left the chairs and canopy at home since the site had a canopy with 3 picnic tables under it. Dominos is right down the street and delivers right to your camp site!!! I know that's not camp food but after a long day of driving and site seeing and setting up camp, no one wants to start cooking anything. There's a market right not even 5 minutes away that accepts Kroger reward cards. Very convienent if the office doesn't already have what you need.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I've been camping at the Buena Vista KOA since the current owners purchased it thirteen years ago. My mother and I would tent camp for two or three months at a time during the summers and we had a glorious time and met many wonderful people through all of our years tenting up here. In fact we love the area so much that we've moved from tourists to locals and now reside in Buena Vista.

Reading through some of the negative reviews on here truly shocks me. I have never had a negative experience with the staff in thirteen years of camping, and this year is no different from any of the others. They have always been polite, cheerful, and kind and my mother and I have made lasting friendships among both the staff as well as the other regular campers. On the campground I have heard many positive things from other campers and many compliments given to the friendliness of the staff, the cleanliness of the facilities, and the natural beauty of the area.

Some of the other reviews mentioned enforcement of quiet hours as a negative aspect of the KOA. As a tent camper I find the quiet hours a stark relief, some of the other accounts here I found to be greatly exaggerated. Nobody on the staff minds if you sit up and talk quietly around your campfire. Some might mind if you stay up till three yelling and hollering in the dead of night. Many of the campers that stay at the KOA use it as a base camp for 14'er hiking, and they have to wake up and head out to the trail head at 2:00 or 3:00 in the morning. Additionally the enforced leash law on campus is something I greatly appreciate. Having a dog of my own that does not get along with other dogs it was always good to know that no pets would be running up into our site and agitating her. Things like being quiet at night around tent campers, keeping your dog leashed, and not running through other people's sites are merely a matter of courtesy required by any camper at any campground.

As far as location there is no place better. There are trails that you can hike right out of the campground, there is a horse stable on the grounds, whitewater rafting with Riverrunners (an excellent company) is mere minutes away, as well as hot springs, and a plethora of excellent fishing locations. The staff are all well informed about activities in the area and most participate in them as well. Additionally the ice cream social every Saturday at 7:00 is a great time to gather up and eat ice cream with your fellow campers.

In my opinion there is no better place in the world than the Buena Vista KOA Campground. The staff are friendly and helpful (they deliver both firewood as well as some incredibly tasty Hunt's Brother Pizzas right to your sight), and they always greet you with a smile and ask about how your day has been. Additionally the bathrooms are kept wonderfully clean which is a nice change from many campgrounds. I personally love this campground, if it wasn't a nice place to stay I wouldn't have returned again and again, and I plan to pitch a tent every now and then even now that I live only a few minutes away.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We stayed in a cabin with our 4 kids ages 7-12. The cabin and bathrooms were clean. The staff was extremely nice except for one woman (who I believe was named Linda), who didn't seem to like kids. She yelled at them and then ran to "tattle" to the other staff rather than talking to them and coming to us. She never smiled and my kids just learned to avoid her. She did not ruin our stay!! Dorothy at the horse stables was super nice and took my 8 year old on a private ride early one morning. She loved to talk about her horses and enjoyed having the kids around to ask questions. The staff said hello every morning and offered advice on fun things to do in town.

Room Tip: When registering online, make sure you do it in advance and ask to be close to the bathrooms if you have kids otherwise you could be looking at a long walk.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family