“Had a great stay”

Ranked #2 of 8 Buena Vista B&B and Inns
Chicago
“Had a great stay”
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Stayed with Barb and Frank for a couple nights on our recent rafting trip and they really made us feel at home. Otto the dog was a real treat, my wife really liked playing with him. Sleeping with the sounds of the river going by was very relaxing and soothing the sore muscles in the hot tub after a day of rafting was a great way to unwind. Breakfast was delicious as well. Would recommend staying here if you are in the area.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank qa2152

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Reviewed March 19, 2011

We were in need of a little "getting away from it all" time and at the advice of some friends, we chose to spend our time at Room at the River. We knew immediately upon arrival that we had made the right choice!!

Barb & Frank are stellar hosts!! No request or need went unmet! The rooms were extremely comfortable, clean and the grounds a welcome sanctuary. There was always something interesting to see when sitting outside!

If you go, you absolutely must spend a little "swing time" down on the bank of the Arkansas River. I believe this was the most relaxing and enjoyable part of my time there, along with leaving the sliding door to our room open at night (screen door closed) and being lulled to sleep by the rolling river.

Breakfasts were exceptional, something new and different every morning and beautiful table settings, whether in doors on raining mornings or out on the deck overlooking the river. Breakfast was so bountiful that many days we were able to skip lunch completely.

Rooms also come with a fridge and microwave and there is a grocery store within a 5 min. drive that carries a good selection of products.

There are several lodging options in Buena Vista and now that we've discovered this hidden gem I doubt we will ever stay anywhere else! We would not hesitate to recommend Room at the River to anyone passing through for a night or staying longer. This is a perfect little town for getting off the treadmill and taking time to slow down!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ttoopel
Iowa City
Reviewed October 26, 2010

We were very comfortable here, really felt taken-care-of by Barb. The scenery from our room and the dining room was fantastic. Excellent rooms, beautifully appointed, with every thing you'd want, including fridge and microwave. Barb upgraded us to the large suite without extra charge, and was really thoughtful about helping my disabled husband. Even though the weather was cold and snowy while we were here, we really enjoyed just hanging out in our room. There is a lot to do and explore in the area, and we did a lot while here. It was a little walk from the car to our room, so carrying luggage and all was a bit of a trip, but totally worth it. I will definitely come back here at future visits if I can.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed September 8, 2010

We had a great stay at this B&B. Barb is a great hostess, we had a lot of fun chatting with her. We hung out on the swing by the river and enjoyed some wine and fished in the river.

The property has a nice hot tub overlooking the river as well.

Breakfast was different and delicious.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 21, 2010

I must start by saying "Thank You" Barb and Frank. This was the perfect way to begin our vacation...a "wonderful room on the river." The Arkansas River lulled us to sleep in the beautiful room ya'll provided. The bed was sooooo comfy! The fresh ground coffee (by Buena Vista's own Roastery) was only the beginning to the great breakfast that Barb prepared for us each morning...both with great views...either inside or out. Barb and Frank shared their knowledge of not only great hiking spots, and photo ops (Greg is a photographer) but great places to eat as well. We had our own porch and patio, bird watching spot, and a great hot tub with mountains and stars above and the sounds of the river below, to help soothe our bodies and souls. I can not recommend this Bed and Breakfast enough...it was a little bit of Heaven on Earth.

Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
BV
Reviewed September 11, 2009

Sept 7, 2009- Sept 19, 2009. I came to Buena Vista, Co for a little rest and relaxation and received so much more. I actually came out here by myself - may sound a little selfish, but how often does a mom have a chance to get away....Anyway while there are many wonderful accommodations and B&B's here in BV, I chose to stay at the Room @ the River. This B&B is literally on the Arkansas River. The Innkeepers, Barb and Frank, treat each guest as they are the most important. Barb is a phenomenal chef. The breakfasts she creates are Exquisite! After eating, I feel inclined to assist her in cleaning up as a symbol of my gratitude for the delectable nourishment she has provided. This meal actually can keep me full until 5pm!!! (I wonder what she will make tomorrow!!) There are three rooms, each has its own private entrance and restroom. Also, each room has its own private sitting area on the balcony overlooking the river. While this is a review on BV - obviously it is also a review on the B&B!!
There are so many things to do in BV: fly fishing, kayaking, road biking, mountain biking, hiking, panning for gold, camping, rafting, soaking @ hot springs, rock climbing. While you are gasping for air due to the elevation, the endless views of the Collegiate Peaks will also take your breath away :) It is a centralized location that one can take a few day trips and make it back to dinner @ Quincy's on Main St., where they only serve filet mignon, baked potato, and salad- your only decision is if you want 6, 9, 12 or 15 oz.
Aspen, Breckenridge, Canon City, Colorado Springs, Denver, Frisco, Silverthorne, Vail - are all within a 2 hour drive. However, the people in BV are so genuinely polite and eager to welcome you - you may not want to travel beyond the Chaffee County line. I met Keith and Evelyn Baker - they own the Trailhead outfitters store on 24- Keith took me for my first road bike trip - man was I nervous - those bikes have such itty bitty tires. I saw areas of BV that I wouldn't have - I definitely recommend stopping in their store and going for a ride. (I think I will do that again next week!) Anyway - This is the most peaceful and serene vacation I have ever had. While I miss the kids, I am so fortunate I get to stay another week! I can't wait to plan the next trip!! Treat yourself, take a little time for yourself, your family will appreciate you more when you return! You deserve it, come to BV and stay @ this B&B!!!

Yorkshire
Reviewed July 25, 2008

The October 2005 review gives a full description of the general environment.The "new"rooms are attractively furnished and also comfortable from the practical aspect.At night the large sliding door onto the riverside balcony canbe left open(it is well screened) to hear the river,which has a beatiful red rock backdrop illuminated at sunrise.As a place for a restful night ,it is perfect.

• Liked — Riverside location
  • Disliked — Having to move on
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Buffalo Peaks Bed and Breakfast
Super 8 Buena Vista
Super 8 Buena Vista
#2 of 3 in Buena Vista

Been to Mountain River Inn Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!