“Holiday of a lifetime”
Review of Elk Mountain Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Buena Vista
Elk Mountain Ranch
Jersey, United Kingdom
“Holiday of a lifetime”
Reviewed September 6, 2011

This matched all our expectations and more. Fantastic family run ranch, excellent staff, delicious food and the comfiest bed I've ever slept in. The views when riding through the Rockies were outstanding. Our 12 year old son had the time of his life, as did we. Dont buy cowboy boots if budgeting as the ranch had quite alot they lent out for free. They also lent out slickers in case it rained.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Southampton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 2, 2011

I am a single mom who was looking for a vacation where my daughter, who loves horses and riding, and I could enjoy some much needed time away from everyday life. Elk Mountain Ranch afforded us the opportunity to acheive my goal. The staff was extremely friendly, responsive to any need we had, and treated us like part of the family. There was never any pressure to conform to a schedule or certain way. Safety and fun were the priorities.
The horses were fantastic and matched perfectly to each rider. For the non-riders, there is always something to do, even if it is just relaxing.
There were other families and couples at the Ranch the week we were there. The amazing thing about it is that after a short few hours, it seemed like we were never strangers. I attribute this to the wonderful atmosphere that Tom, Sue and the staff provide.
I would highly recommend Elk Mountain Ranch to anyone looking for peace, relaxation, and/or an exciting vacation. The scenery is very beautiful too. If you can't find something at this Ranch to make you happy, then I don't know where you will find it. My daughter and I both had the vacation of a life-time. Thank you Elk Mountain Ranch!

1 Thank marie r
dunwoody, ga
Reviewed August 31, 2011

We told our next door neighbors we were thinking about a trip to Colorado and toying with going to a dude ranch..."you should go to Elk Mountain where we took our family 20 years ago and was our best vacation ever!" Well, I guess y'all have been making the best memories for a long time. Who knew all of us (my husband & I, my son 13, my daughter 11 and son 11) would leave with tears in our eyes, hugging everyone goodbye. We kept asking ourselves what made Elm Mountain such an amazing vacation~the pace, our own cabin that was just perfect, the views that made you feel like you were in a western movie, the fabulous staff who love kids, the great food, the rides that were spectacular...and then there's the stuff that just happens like your kids playing Man Hunt with other kids at night while my husband and I were watching the stars. We can't thank you, Tom and Sue, enough for creating an atmosphere that absolutely delighted each member of our family...Love your new/old friends! The Keim family - Atlanta

Avon Lake, Ohio
Reviewed August 27, 2011

I would highly recommend Elk Mtn Ranch. Beautiful scenery, friendly staff, great food (& plenty of it), great guests, horses matched to your ability, great variety of things to do including R&R if you choose. Very safety conscious. I was worried about them being on a generator with lights out at 11:00 ...no worries! Fantastic for families, girls week , guys week, everyone! Tom, Sue and staff truly made the ranch your home for the week. Also included top notch local entertainment two nights. Our two bedroom cabin had a king size bed in one room and two twins in the other. Full bathroom, walkin closets, living room and a porch with an amazing view of Mount Princeton. Everything was better than we expected.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed August 17, 2011

Elk Mountain Ranch was an amazing experience. It is small (30 guests at a time), family oriented, fantastic home cooked meals, and their employees along with Sue and Tom are incredible! The ranch itself is located in a beautiful area and the horses are well kept. The beauty of this ranch is that you have plenty of choices. We went river rafting one day which was a highlight! Another day, we chose to take the day trip to Aspen. Also incredible. Other days, the rides included breakfast or lunch, short and long rides, etc. They have great activities for the kids... and adults! The shooting, both skeet and target, was especially fun for my son. For the price, you get more than necessary. Thank you for a wonderful week full of great memories!

Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed August 8, 2011

Elk Mountain Ranch is everything the reviews said and more. As a novice rider, I felt completely comfortable on every ride. An experienced wrangler accompanied just our family of four on each ride. The views were breathtaking. The food, service, and cabin were perfect. Sue and Tom and the staff work so hard to make sure everyone is feeling at home. They even remembered to bring my favorite tea at each meal! The food is simple and delicious. There was a wide variety of activities both on the ranch and off. Sometimes we did things as a family, and sometimes we split up. The evening activities were also special--campfires, square dancing and music. We went whitewater rafting and some of us went to Aspen via Independence Pass. We shot at targets with guns and arrows, played tetherball, air hockey, fat ball, flashlight tag and volleyball. Our son rode in the kids' rodeo and won a ribbon! We loved all the animals--goats, pigs, cats, dogs, ducks and horses! The only thing I would change would be to bring more jeans and warmer clothes...it's cool in the evenings and when it's cloudy.

2 Thank CheetoandBuddy
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 8, 2011

We visited Elk Mountain after much research on the availability of ranches in this area. One thing that struck us was the 'family' element of this particular ranch. We were not disappointed. In a family of 6 we have only 2 riders with experience, the others were all novices. This did not spoil our enjoyment at all. The orientation lesson given by Tom on day one is by far the best explanation of what you can expect from a horse whether a novice or an experienced rider, that I have every heard. Trail rides are taken daily by different wranglers who posses the ability to converse with young and old alike whilst having a great sense of humour. Our rides were very much family orientated and we all managed to trot and canter from day 3 which is amazing for our novice riders. The cabins were very clean and the beds were extremely comfy (a must for this type of holiday). The food was fantastic and there are always hot and cold drinks available and home made cookies/snacks whenever you feel peckish. The only money we spent during this week was on the obligatory cowboy hats, (also reasonable priced) and the photo's at the White Water Rafting. (which is a must!!)

Tom, Sue, their family and all the people who work at Elk Mountain are warm, welcoming, friendly and courteous. Nothing is to much trouble. We were very sad to leave at the end of the week as we all agreed that we had had the most amazing time. With four teenagers in our party who agreed that this is by far the best holiday that we have every had, what more of a recommendation do you need.

We can't wait to visit again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Buena Vista
Surf Chateau
#1 of 8 in Buena Vista
Mount Princeton Hot Springs Resort
Arrowhead Point Campground & Cabins

Been to Elk Mountain Ranch? Share your experiences!