“Favorite family vacation!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Elk Mountain Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Buena Vista
Elk Mountain Ranch
You added Elk Mountain Ranch to your Saves list
dunwoody, ga
“Favorite family vacation!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

We told our next door neighbors we were thinking about a trip to Colorado and toying with going to a dude ranch..."you should go to Elk Mountain where we took our family 20 years ago and was our best vacation ever!" Well, I guess y'all have been making the best memories for a long time. Who knew all of us (my husband & I, my son 13, my daughter 11 and son 11) would leave with tears in our eyes, hugging everyone goodbye. We kept asking ourselves what made Elm Mountain such an amazing vacation~the pace, our own cabin that was just perfect, the views that made you feel like you were in a western movie, the fabulous staff who love kids, the great food, the rides that were spectacular...and then there's the stuff that just happens like your kids playing Man Hunt with other kids at night while my husband and I were watching the stars. We can't thank you, Tom and Sue, enough for creating an atmosphere that absolutely delighted each member of our family...Love your new/old friends! The Keim family - Atlanta

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Avon Lake, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

I would highly recommend Elk Mtn Ranch. Beautiful scenery, friendly staff, great food (& plenty of it), great guests, horses matched to your ability, great variety of things to do including R&R if you choose. Very safety conscious. I was worried about them being on a generator with lights out at 11:00 ...no worries! Fantastic for families, girls week , guys week, everyone! Tom, Sue and staff truly made the ranch your home for the week. Also included top notch local entertainment two nights. Our two bedroom cabin had a king size bed in one room and two twins in the other. Full bathroom, walkin closets, living room and a porch with an amazing view of Mount Princeton. Everything was better than we expected.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

Elk Mountain Ranch was an amazing experience. It is small (30 guests at a time), family oriented, fantastic home cooked meals, and their employees along with Sue and Tom are incredible! The ranch itself is located in a beautiful area and the horses are well kept. The beauty of this ranch is that you have plenty of choices. We went river rafting one day which was a highlight! Another day, we chose to take the day trip to Aspen. Also incredible. Other days, the rides included breakfast or lunch, short and long rides, etc. They have great activities for the kids... and adults! The shooting, both skeet and target, was especially fun for my son. For the price, you get more than necessary. Thank you for a wonderful week full of great memories!

Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

Elk Mountain Ranch is everything the reviews said and more. As a novice rider, I felt completely comfortable on every ride. An experienced wrangler accompanied just our family of four on each ride. The views were breathtaking. The food, service, and cabin were perfect. Sue and Tom and the staff work so hard to make sure everyone is feeling at home. They even remembered to bring my favorite tea at each meal! The food is simple and delicious. There was a wide variety of activities both on the ranch and off. Sometimes we did things as a family, and sometimes we split up. The evening activities were also special--campfires, square dancing and music. We went whitewater rafting and some of us went to Aspen via Independence Pass. We shot at targets with guns and arrows, played tetherball, air hockey, fat ball, flashlight tag and volleyball. Our son rode in the kids' rodeo and won a ribbon! We loved all the animals--goats, pigs, cats, dogs, ducks and horses! The only thing I would change would be to bring more jeans and warmer clothes...it's cool in the evenings and when it's cloudy.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank CheetoandBuddy
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

We visited Elk Mountain after much research on the availability of ranches in this area. One thing that struck us was the 'family' element of this particular ranch. We were not disappointed. In a family of 6 we have only 2 riders with experience, the others were all novices. This did not spoil our enjoyment at all. The orientation lesson given by Tom on day one is by far the best explanation of what you can expect from a horse whether a novice or an experienced rider, that I have every heard. Trail rides are taken daily by different wranglers who posses the ability to converse with young and old alike whilst having a great sense of humour. Our rides were very much family orientated and we all managed to trot and canter from day 3 which is amazing for our novice riders. The cabins were very clean and the beds were extremely comfy (a must for this type of holiday). The food was fantastic and there are always hot and cold drinks available and home made cookies/snacks whenever you feel peckish. The only money we spent during this week was on the obligatory cowboy hats, (also reasonable priced) and the photo's at the White Water Rafting. (which is a must!!)

Tom, Sue, their family and all the people who work at Elk Mountain are warm, welcoming, friendly and courteous. Nothing is to much trouble. We were very sad to leave at the end of the week as we all agreed that we had had the most amazing time. With four teenagers in our party who agreed that this is by far the best holiday that we have every had, what more of a recommendation do you need.

We can't wait to visit again.

Gainesville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

We first vacationed at Elk Mountain Ranch in July 2008. My family of four (Hubby and I and two daughters, then 12 and 15), and my niece, then 12) drove from Florida to Colorado to spend a week at Elk Mountain Ranch. That was the best vacation of our lives. In 2009, after hearing over-and-over how fabulous the Ranch was from all the girls, my sister decided to take them herself. Hubby and I took advantage of the "adult only" weeks and went by ourselves. In 2010, we moved from Florida to Virginia and were unable to visit the Ranch, we were very disappointed. This July, my sister's family and my family decided to go together to the Ranch. We had a great time! As we were leaving, my 15 year-old daughter said "Mom, next year, can we come for two weeks?"

What's to love? - Everything!!!

People - Tom, Sue, and their children are the best! Ever since we drove through the gate the first time we have felt as if we are part of their family!

Accommodations - Clean, comfortable, spacious. Perfect in every way. We have stayed in three different cabins and loved them all.

Food - You will never be hungry! The food is delicious, plentiful, and always available. The staff is so accommodating. Not only do they make sure that they have lactaid milk available for my lactose intolerant daughter, but they also make sure to get to know each guest so well that they always have my Earl Gray tea in the morning and Sleepytime after dinner.

Staff - Don't know how they do it, but Tom and Sue always hire the best staff! They are always trying to figure out what else they can do to make you happy!

Activities - So much to do, so little time... I have tried most things, but my favorite is horse-back-riding!!! Hubby loves the white water rafting, my sister really enjoyed the wildflowers and sky full of stars at night.

Horses - as I said above, my favorite is the riding. There is nothing more peaceful for me that riding a horse through the aspen forests. You have to experience it to know what I mean. Tom's heard in unbelievable! They have horses for every rider. My husband used to hate riding, but was persuaded to come along the first year we went. "Lefty," his horse, changed him forever. My 12 year old daughter had never been on a horse before our first trip, "Cinco" was so calm and sure-footed that she felt good enough to go on the overnight trip. As my daughter's skills progressed, Tom has assigned her a new horse so that she can work on new skills. Tom and the wranglers are always attuned with each guest to make sure that they and their horse are a perfect match!

Warning - I'm not one to cry (ever!) but once a year, as we prepare to leave Elk Mountain Ranch, the waterworks begin. So don't be surprised if the toughest member of your family starts to get teary-eyed on Sunday morning.

Really can't say enough to express how wonderful this place is. We are so fortunate to have found it. Hope you love it as much as we do!!

Room Tip: All cabins are great! My favorite is the Aspen. It has two bathrooms and is next to the horses.