Open today: 7:30 AM - 7:00 PM
Review Highlights
Rafting

We all had a great time. It was a beautiful trip and we liked doing the paddling ourselves... read more

Reviewed October 15, 2018
Valerie H
via mobile
Family Vacay!

We loved our trip! We had the Irish guy, Brian, he was the BEST! He guided us brilliantly. He... read more

Reviewed September 9, 2018
Deena B
via mobile

2,502 results
All reviews royal gorge bighorn sheep canyon rafting trip white water rafting the river big horn great guide canon city great trip great job guide alex class rapids first timers a lot of fun great lunch from start to finish an absolute blast
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We were out in CO for a bachelor party and did the full-day rafting in Browns Canyon. Our guide, Dan, was talkative and outgoing and definitely improved the experience.

Personally, given the temperature of the water was said to be about 55* even in mid July, I would recommend getting the wetsuit that is available for rental. I don't think I'd get the splash jacket again, though. If you can, make sure to bring a waterproof camera. There are some great shots available!

I don't know the price difference offhand between the "half day" and "full day" options, but the full-day option only took us about 3 extra miles (for a total of 13) and through 2 more rapids. Only two of the rafts went that far and they both had members of our party. However, it did get us lunch cooked by our guides and a bit more room on the bus trip back.

Michael K, Guest Relations Manager at American Adventure Expeditions, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2013

Much appreciation for your detailed feedback. This off season enables me to respond to all of the great information that we have received this past summer.
I agree with you, wet-suites are definitely a smart add-on when partaking in any of our river adventure trips. As you mentioned, this river stays pretty cold all through the year as it is fed by icy mountain run-offs. It is much worth the small rental fee. An added on bonus is that the fee is completely refundable should you not have been satisfied or thought you didn’t need the gear. For bigger groups, the rental fee is waived.
Furthermore I would like to share that as far as the difference between half day and full day rafting adventures are concerned. In “normal” water years the trip difference is 7 miles for the Browns Canyon Section and 10 miles for the Numbers section. If water levels are a little lower we may alter the trip length slightly in order to offer you a fun filled excursion. Also, the ¾ and full day adventure does offer you a full lunch compared to no lunch for the ½ day trip.
Thank you again for sharing your experience! I am happy to hear that you and your bachelor party had an eventful time with us and I hope we are able to see you again in the future.
Claudia J.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Chrissie Bobbit was very helpful and she was informative. She was taught us quickly and easily on how to operate the oars on the boats. She made it easy and fun to float the river.

AmericanAdventure, Guest Relations Manager at American Adventure Expeditions, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

I am using this off-season to send you our thanks for briefly sharing you experience with us. Glad to hear you had and exciting time with us and we hope to see you on the river again this coming season.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

The guides at AAE really know their stuff. Our veteran guide of 5 years, Mark, took us through Brown's canyon on a half day trip that was the highlight of our 5 day vacation. There were two children on our raft ages 10 and 13 who also immensely enjoyed the experience. This is a must-do for anyone in the area looking for a way to see Colorado for the beautiful, scenic destination it's known to be.

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate you sharing your story with us. All of us at “AAE” love where we work and what we do; and we are thrilled to be able to share the beauty and adventure with our guests and teammates. Hoping that you are able to come and share this experience with us again we are await you on the beautiful Arkansas River.
Claudia J.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Overall good time from start to end. The guide was excellent and made the rafting more enjoyable as you travel through some amazing scenery on the river. Highly recommend doing this if you're in Colorado! Thanks Dan

Brant, we are glad to hear that you had such a great experience with Dan and "AAE". We hope you are able to come again and enjoy the beauty of Colorado, as well as all that "AAE" has to offer soon.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Maverick provided an awesome rafting experience for my family ages 10-48. We did the Bighorn Sheep Canyon half day trip. We did see a herd of Bighorn sheep on the ride. The rapids were just the right size for the inexperienced rafters in the group. Maverick let us surf the waves and do tricks like spinning around. He was fun and very professional. My main complaint is that when the guides were putting in the rafts, the bus driver was smoking behind the bus and the smoke drifted into our air space. We are a family of non-smokers in Colorado to enjoy nature and fresh air. It is unprofessional to be smoking on the job in front of clients. I can't believe he couldn't wait 15 minutes to light one up. The ice cream treats in the office were also overpriced--$3.00 for an ice cream sandwich.

AmericanAdventureExp, Owner at American Adventure Expeditions, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2014

Thank you so much for your crucial feedback and I'm so sorry for the delayed response. This feedback was very helpful for us and please know that appropriate action was taken back in July of 2013 to ensure that other guests don't have a similar unsatisfactory experience - we completely agree that smoking in the fresh and clean Colorado air is unacceptable! I'm glad that Maverick showed you a good time and we hope that you and your family can make it back to Colorado again soon!