“rustic”

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“rustic”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

A nice place for a rustic overnight stay. Don't expect elegance or you will be disappointed. My husband and I stopped here for a night during a colorado road-trip.

Visited February 2012

Miami
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“afordable relaxing place to stay”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Spent a very relaxing time at this spa, I recomend the dormatory if you are on a budjet, it's a big family style room with a kitchenette. The staff was very friendly, I would love to go back

Visited January 2013
Silverthorne, Colorado
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Nice rustic hot springs”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We were there in December of 2012, and enjoyed our visit. We have been to alot of hot springs in Colorado, and would put this one in the 'good' category. The setting is nice - it is in a bit of a canyon in a natural setting. The pools are nice, hot, and clean. The amenities (changing rooms is about all we checked out) are basic but sufficient. We can't say anything about the lodging, as we didn't stay there. The price seemed a bit high, but not outrageous (can't remember exactly what we paid). It is definitely worth visiting and relaxing for a couple of hours.

Visited December 2012
Fairfield, Connecticut
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 118 helpful votes
“Excellent hot springs; very nice staff”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

I've visited the Cottonwood Hot Springs on 3 consecutive vacations and never been disappointed. Their natural springs are warm and clean; some are almost too hot. Some have natural ledges to sit and soak, along with sun shade tarps.

The only pools without the seating areas are the "cool" pool and the therapy pool

I have also had spa services performed at the springs. The first was a "watsu" (water-based) massage (in the therapy pool) which was exceptional. The second was a "raindrop" (essential oil) one and was very good.

The springs prices are reasonable, although I've suggested they add a week pass for those of us who are staying locally for the whole week.

The springs is a bit new-age-y. It is set along with Cottonwood river and has seating near the river (the seats are great to cool off between soaks). The views of the mountains are beautiful as you soak. You can soak all day for one rate.

Highlights:
Natural setting and scenery (look for the dragon statue up on the mountain!)
Clean
Several pools to choose from
Spa Services
Relaxing seating in the pools

(We didn't stay at the springs so this review is strictly for using the pools as a daily visitor)

Visited July 2012
1 Thank Trish J
Loveland, Colorado, United States
“dirty,dirty,and dissappointing”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We just returned from our first and last visit to CHS. We stayed in Cabin 2 which was neat but not at all clean. The kitchen floor was sticky, there was thick dust and cobwebs everywhere. We found dead moths in windowsills and kitchen drawers. The "clean" towels and sheets smelled musty. Everything is outdated, partially broken, and thrift store furnished, which I can overlook- But not the filth! There was one uncomfortable couch to sit on and an oversized dining room table, so no place to really hang out as a family (we did everything at the table). The private hot tub was very small and about 3 feet deep at the very center; 2 feet deep around the edge. That may be ok in summer, but freezing winter time was a challenge for the 4 of us to submerge enough of our bodies to stay warm. The public pools were nice enough and the temperatures were good. They are a bit hazardous with all of the boulders and ledges under the water to scrape your legs and stub your toes on. The changing room always smelled badly (could have used a good mop down each day). Our cabin was also very cold. Granted, we were there during a very cold spell, but the cabin itself is so poorly insulated, with insufficient heating to make up for it. There is a wall heater in each of the two bedrooms, one plug-in heater that could be moved to blow the warm air where you need it. Another plug-in heater that I used to warm up the bathroom in order to take a shower, smelled like kerosene as it was running so I had to turn it off. The water pressure for the shower is very, very low but manageable. In fact, you could not run the kitchen sink if the shower was on because there was too little pressure.
The staff was not as bad as I have read in other reviews, but they were not "hospitality" people. They tried to help us when our towels were mistakenly removed from our cabin. One towel could have looked like theirs, the other two were obviously not theirs. We only recovered 2 of the 3. You just get a sense that the people who run the place really don't care about much. Most of the ones we met were smokers and never had a professional appearance. It's really such a shame that our experience here was so poor. This is our favorite area of Colorado to vacation. The natural beauty and hot springs have so much potential, but this "resort" is so poorly run and in need of tremendous repair. I did not want a Hilton experience, but I wanted a clean place to vacation for $215 a night!
In summary, the soaking pools were nice as long as you are nimble and able to walk around and among lots of boulders and uneven ground. (I could never bring Grandma here). But, the whole place is run by people who don't take pride in their work. It was not the relaxing getaway that we had hoped for. We left before 9:30am even though check out was at 1. We got one last soak in and couldn't stand the cabin anymore. Even my 8 and 9 year old children wanted to leave.
There are other soaking options in the area. Mt. Princeton is so much nicer! We can now officially check CHS off our list of places to try and put it on the do not need to return list.

Visited December 2012