“Good soak!”

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Good soak!”
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Cottonwood in the mountains near Buena Vista Colorado is a good place to spend a few hours or a day relaxing in five hot springs pools which range in temperatures from very hot to cool. The pools are located near a stream where chairs are available for relaxing. Although children are welcome, the pools are more for soaking rather than for swimming. When we were there, the bathers were mostly couples. The entire area is rather rustic. A limited number of overnight accommodations are available.

Visited July 2011
1 Thank gloraway

Seattle, Washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Favorite part of our trip”
Reviewed June 9, 2011

Cottonwood Springs was a gem in the rough!!! We didn't know we were going there until the day of and it was the best choice we made. Very reasonable pricing, superb springs, and helpful, friendly staff. The best part was they were open until midnight! Will definitely come here again when in the area, and would recommend as a must if you are looking for some relaxation!

Visited June 2011
1 Thank ryanjrob
Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“There are just not words that are adequate to describe this experience except NEVER AGAIN”
Reviewed March 24, 2011

Looking at the website, the pools look pretty good. The place is advertised as "rustic." Rustic I can handle. Filth I cannot. We had booked Cabin 4 to sleep two adults and two teenagers at a rate of $260 per night. A bit steep, but we wanted to be able to cook dinner and hang out together. The private pool was a bonus too.

We checked in and paid. Staff was friendly and accommodating and gave us the keys and directions to the cabin. We arrived at the cabin and my first thought was that we were at someone's private residence. The sun porch/fireplace area was covered in wood splinters with an overflowing ashtray on the wooden table. I wondered if there was a residence attached to the cabin. We walked in, doors were unlocked and the stench was overpowering! One of the rooms smelled like cat pee and was uninhabitable. The crawl space in that room was open. There were weak areas on the floor in the cabin. The carpet was stained. No windows would open to air out the place because they are all covered with high dollar plastic and wooden strips to help keep the cabin warm. We loaded our things back into the car and asked if there was another space available. We were told that cabin 2 was available. We went to look first - carpet needed vacuuming and the beds were stripped but it looked somewhat clean. We went back to the office and were refunded $30 and told that housekeeping would get there as quickly as possible. We decided to carry the food in and leave the dogs in the car. My teenagers told me that they tried to do so and were yelled at by the cleaning lady who then slammed the door in their faces. We went in anyways and informed the housekeeping ladies that we would be putting our food on the table. They were cleaning the floor and making the beds. They left shortly after that and we changed and went to soak.

After soaking for a while, we decided that we would return to the cabin to cook dinner. I started to remove food from the ice chest and discovered that the refrigerator was warm. We put things back into the cooler and proceeded to cook dinner. While cooking dinner, we head the toilet bubbling. This is a bad sign.

After dinner, I used the restroom. When I flushed, the toilet water began to rise. The door handle was so tight that I couldn't open it and was laughing so hard at this point that I could barely ask for help. We went to the office where we were asked if we had used the plunger. What? It's MY job? The nice woman (she really was nice) came to the cabin with another plunger and worked for 20 minutes before coming out of the restroom to tell us that she couldn't do it. By that time, we had packed the car and informed her that we would be leaving. We got a complete refund and were not charged for soaking. We went down the hill into Buena Vista and spent the night in an older but clean motel.

I will never return to Cottonwood Hot Springs. The condition of the cabins was appalling and those cabins should not ever be rented out. To be fair, the water was very nice and the pool area appeared to be clean and well-maintained.

Visited March 2011
5 Thank Lolo043
Anchorage, Alaska
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“WHAT A DUMP. Appalling cabins, but decent pools. Will not come here again, ever.”
Reviewed March 24, 2011

Here is the "Welcome to Cottonwood Hot Springs" summary, taken from the paper they provide at the front desk: "...We understand our building is old, our water system is limited and sometimes we simply can't reach the level of your expectations. To move any faster in upgrades would require more that (sic) we could produce. Everyday (sic) we do our very best & Sometimes (sic) we just can't get up early enough to hang the moon for you".

REALLY??? This statement should be how they answer their phones, and be the headline on their webpage! It'd save many folks a lot of time and frustration.

To be fair, the staff cooperated and gave us a refund after the toilet backed up and couldn't be fixed. Prior to that...we booked a cabin at a rate of $250 per night, and when we walked in, were accosted by the smell of cat pee, and cigarette smoke. There was an ashtray filled with butts...and the crawlspace in the closet was left open. The musty smell in cabin 4 was so bad that we asked to be moved, and we were moved to cabin 2. Cabin 2 was cleaner, but still really, really, rustic with poor lighting, windows covered with plastic, sagging beds...and then the toilet clogged. By that time, we decided to get a refund, and I have never been happier to find a clean, cheap motel like the one we stayed at in Buena Vista. I WILL NOT VISIT THIS PLACE AGAIN. A disappointment, and a shame that a natural hotsprings is this run-down.

Visited March 2011
3 Thank Whimsicat
Golden, Colorado
80 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 144 helpful votes
“Still needs improvements, and a little less smoky.”
Reviewed January 30, 2011

We like the pools, but the rooms definitely need some work, especially the bathrooms/showers in the rooms. I'd happily pay an extra $15 for a bathroom I can actually move around in, and doesn't have the mold/water problems our two rooms had. The two rooms we've stayed in both had electric problems (ceiling fan light didn't work, bed lights didn't work), and the bedroom door had to be pushed/pulled pretty hard to open/close (needed to be trimmed). Maybe my biggest complaint is the pro-smoker atmosphere. It's almost hard (at times) to get away from people smoking (including one time when I had to go get the staff to get people from smoking IN the pool). Evidently, the state law requiring people to be 25'+ away from entrances doesn't apply or they don't know about it. Certainly the smokers didn't care.

They also do a pay-continental breakfast. The cost is reasonable, but several other places I've stayed for similar prices include breakfast. Just saying. Also, they ask you to pay to continue soaking after check-out. While it is also reasonable ($6 each), every other place I've ever stayed allowed you to soak as long as you liked after check-out, even until they close for the day. Again, just saying.

That said, the beds are nice and soft and appear new, with what I consider good pillows. And I always get a good night sleep, assuming we don't have rude neighbors.

Visited December 2010