“Mixed Bag”

Branding Iron
Ranked #22 of 42 Restaurants in Buena Vista
Cuisines: American
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Not many reviews to base our decision on, so we decided to go for it. Went with the family for a quick trip to Buena Vista.

Overall, it was a disappointment. Food wasn't terrible, just so so for the price/experience.

Service: There were two servers for the entire place. Probably about 20 tables, so not unmanageable, but not optimal. Did pretty well considering and were pleasant. One seemed more Sr. than the other, so she was good (but was quick, in a not so good way). I would give service 3.5/5

Food: The food was all over the place. The salads were clearly pre-made (chilled in the fridge), which is not terrible, but also not too welcoming. chicken and rice soup was below average, with chunks of chicken skin floating in it. I had a chicken fried stake that was clearly a frozen patty dropped in a deep fat fryer (not good at all). But the asparagus and the mashed potatoes were good. 2 of the kids had the ribs, which were pretty good, but were not smoked. Looked like they were broiled, with sauce on the side. they were pretty meaty. My daughter had a rib eye that was ok. kind of fatty, but I didn't expect much. Overall, would give this a 1.5/5. Some good, not so good.

Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

This is a nice place to stop after a day in the mountains. The food is tasty, the service is so friendly you feel like a long lost friend, and they serve good beers on tap! Come into this casual restaurant to relax!

Reviewed September 22, 2012

12 women coming from a weekend retreat show up at the Branding Iron for a "quick burger". Do NOT let the "saloon" appearance veer you away from this spot. It is a small, clean restaurant that just happens to also serve alcohol. We were in a hurry to get back to our home turf and needed a fast and easy lunch. What a pleasant surprise to find elk burgers on the menu along with the beef. I ordered the elk and the sweet potato fries. (All for 9 bucks.) Those fries were THE BEST I HAVE EVER TASTED!!! The service was impeccable, one server handled the entire table and didn't make one mistake. I WILL go back to this restaurant on my next visit to Buena Vista.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

First Visit: Owner was working. Place was clean good looking buffet beef was good great value. I was eating light and was extremely pleased with my salad. Someone was eating a Reuben at the next table over and it looked awesome.

2nd Visit: Went back a week later in anticipation of the Reuben. Owner was not there. We sat for at least 10 minutes an were never even greeted. I even said hi to the pregnant waitress/bartender who had waited on us the previous visit and my husband had tipped 20%...she ignored us completely :( I keep meaning to call the owner and tell them about our experience. Judging from how she had been when we were there I suspect this was just a bad day.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

We ordered the New York Strip steak special and could hardly cut through it. Lots of gristle and fat. You would think the special would be good......NOT ! We should have sent them back ,
but we did`nt. Try something else if you go there.