“The Ducky wore me out, but it was fun doing it!”

Browns Canyon Rafting
Browns Canyon Rafting Full Day
Ranked #6 of 17 Tours in Buena Vista
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Browns Canyon Rafting is your trusted, locally owned and operated Colorado Rafting Outfitter and Outdoor Adventure Company. At our Buena Vista Rafting headquarters, we provide guided Arkansas River Rafting and Clear Creek Rafting trips. In addition to rafting, we offer many outdoor activities like Inflatable Kayaks, Rock Climbing and kayak lessons. We are also partnered with other providers to offer Zip Lining, Horseback Rides, ATV Rentals, Mountain Bike Rentals and Natural Hot Spring passes. We look forward to sharing in your next adventure. Get away from the crowds! We are an experienced, smaller, personable outfitter that would be delighted to help you plan your next adventure and experience the beauty of the Colorado rocky mountains with you. We would love it if you joined our Browns Canyon Rafting family! We cater to all ages and ability levels. From scenic flat water floats to extreme heart pumping class five adventures and everything in between. Come make memories with us today!
Reviewed July 23, 2013

My son and I signed up for the full-day Kayak trip (ages 52 & 18) or the Ducky as they called it. The staff is very friendly, enthusiastic and ready to make your adventure fun and safe. We had neither one done any rafting or kayaking so we didn't really know what to expect. Being only two of us, we decided on the kayaks so we didn't have to spend the day in a boat with strangers (good or bad). Jessica (Jess), our guide for the day did a good job explaining what to expect and all the things we needed to know (safety and otherwise). It was a good thing we had the full wet suit and splash top because we did spend some in the river (not by choice) as she said we would. The kayaks are inflatable and a novice will end up tipping over at least once (I did twice and my son did three times). Jess took very good care of us on the river, helped when needed and stopped as often as we wanted. We were not expecting it to be as strenuous as it was or to be in the water (other than by choice to swim and cool off). The duckies are hard to steer, for a beginner, anyway and it was hard work. Jess gave us the option to stop at lunch time (the halfway point of our trip) and we decided it would be wise to take her up on the offer. Yes, we were out of shape and not used to the altitude (spent the night before at 10K feet+) and didn't sleep well the night before. Jess prepared "wraps" for us at the Buena Vista Park (our halfway point) which were simple but delicious. She cut up veggies, had turkey or ham and two kinds of cheese. She also had strawberries, chips and salsa and lemonade - all in a cooler that had been dropped off for her. She was a full service guide for sure. Working so hard did make us not really get to enjoy a lot of the scenery but it was a unique adventure my son and I will never forget. Would probably do the raft trip if we had to do it over again, but overall we did have fun.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

This trip was wonderful; it was fun, safe, and exactly what we were hoping for in a rafting trip. Even with no prior experience, we were able to feel completely safe while still having an amazing time. It was never boring and the raft guides are awesome!

1  Thank palindrome16
Reviewed July 15, 2013

My husband, two kids (ages 7 & 9) and I had reservations for the half day, Browns Canyon rafting trip on a sunny July morning. This rafting company was recommended and booked by our hotel in Breckenridge, the Valdoro. The concierge recommended this company because it is smaller and would give more personalized attention to us, which was hugely important to us because we would be rafting with our (relatively) young kids.

The office where you begin your journey is about an hour and 15 minutes away from Breckenridge, where we were staying. The drive is scenic and the directions given by Browns on their brochure are very good and quite easy to follow.

We were warmly greeted and given the usual instructions of bring water, use sunscreen and lock your valuables in your car so they're not lost forever somewhere in the river. I had been rafting about 20 years ago, but this was a first time experience for my husband and kids. Before booking this trip, I did extensive research on different companies and whitewater classifications. I was particularly nervous about my just turned seven-year-old (who is barely 50 pounds) on Class III rapids. My husband and I were a bit torn because we didn't want our family to be bored on a simple float trip, but didn't want the rapids to leave our kids freaked out either. Both of our boys are pretty adventurous though and they both wanted to do the Browns Canyon trip.

After being fitted with PFDs and helmets we were ushered to the bus...after waiting a LONG time for a late arriving group. They didn't seem to particularly care that they were late and causing everyone else to wait around for them. They definitely weren't in any type of a hurry and certainly not apologetic in the slightest. This was the only annoying part of our experience. I think that Browns should have just pushed this late arriving group to the afternoon tour. We were definitely rushed at the end of our trip because we had to get back for the afternoon tour (and those people were waiting around too because of our late start).

Shane was our guide and he was extremely professional, friendly, entertaining and great with my kids and their safety. He gave very clear instructions that my husband and I were able to follow quite easily. In addition to the fun rapids (which ended up being totally fine for both of my kids ~ we all wished there were more of them!), we were able to see some incredible scenery, including not one or two, but FIVE big horn sheep!! I had been trying to scope one of those out for a full week in Colorado (including in Rocky Mountain National Park for a few days) and didn't see one until we were on the river. My older son got to ride in the back with Shane at the end of the trip and call out paddling commands to me and my husband. He absolutely got a charge out of bossing his parents around for a change! ;)

The other guides on the tour were friendly and helpful as well and Jessica gave great instructions on our bus ride over to the put-in point in the river.

In my opinion, it was absolutely worth the drive from Breckenridge and I would book it again in a heartbeat!

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Went rafting on the Arkansas on July 14th with Brown's Canyon Rafting. It was a great family experience. First time trip for my 2 daughters on the trip and the 1/2 day class III rapids were perfect for first timers. The scenery is just beautiful and our guide Leigh was terrific. She was very knowledgeable about the Arkansas valley and filled us in on geology, history as well as local stories during our 3 hour trip. We took the 9:00 am trip and glad we did because thunderstorms pop up in the afternoon at this time of year. Just a great experience!

Reviewed July 10, 2013

From start to finish, this was easy to plan from afar and they were helpful throughout the whole process. We were a group of 12 with 7 children and it was the perfect adventure for all of us. We had two boats for a half-day. The kids (8, 11, 11, 11, 12, 12, 13) said it was their favorite part of our summer trip to Colorado. We had a beautiful day, saw some fun wildlife and the scenery was breathtaking! Would love to do a full day next time. We went to Mt. Princeton hot springs after we left Buena Vista after stopping for lunch at Eddyline Restaurant right on the river (GREAT!). I wasn't a huge fan of the hot springs. VERY crowded and not what I was expecting. Still, had a great day! You won't be disappointed with Browns Canyon Rafting!

2  Thank Travelinm0m23

Been to Browns Canyon Rafting? Share your experiences!