“I won't ever take my family back to Cottonwood”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Buena Vista
Cottonwood Hot Springs Inn & Health Spa
Salida, Colorado
“I won't ever take my family back to Cottonwood”
Reviewed August 30, 2011

Cottonwood Hotsprings has succeeded in discouraging bringing children to use its hot springs facilities. They have recently raised their rates to $10.00 for children 0-5!! This makes the grand total for a one-hour soak for a family of 4 (2 adults / 2 children under 5) to $50.00!! This is a ridiculous price to pay and, due to some of my experiences in the past, I suspect that this is their way of discouraging families to use their facilities.
Their staff is unfriendly, unprofessional, and I would not recommend you use these hotsprings, especially if you have kids. Mt. Princeton is just down the road and they are much more professional, friendly, and kids under 3 are free!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank August D

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed July 22, 2011

Very disappointed with the condition of the property. We stayed in cabin #3 and while my husband didn't mind the place, I was extremely disappointed with the condition of everything within it. The couch looked like something you'd fine on the side of the road with a "free" sign attached to it. Upon inspecting one of the beds, the mattress pad had stains all over it and holes in the foam topper. I felt like I was sleeping in a taco all night as the bed sagged to the middle. The only thing I liked about this cabin was the private hot spring tub outside. It was clean, the water was hot and it sits right next to the river so the sound of the water rushing is quite nice. The main public hot springs were OK, but I felt like there was a lot of clutter surrounding them. Overall, this place has potential, but it needs an extreme cleaning and facelift. I won't return.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Judy0123

Travelers are raving about these Buena Vista hotels

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed July 17, 2011

my husband and i got this trip as a gift and we looked forward to going for 2mths. we are black americans and we did not feel welcome at, the springs or in the town. it was absolutely horrible. there are no electronics in the rooms, and the rooms are raged and years old. do not waste your money or time unless you condone this type of behavior.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank barbeesdoll
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 14, 2011

If you are looking for fancy shmancy...Stop here!

If not, please continue :)
Out west there are the most AMAZING Hot Springs. The natural warm water Mother Earth made for all of us to soothe our souls :)
The pools here are clean. They are cool to very hot. We live in NYC (hubby from CO) & look forward to getting here & soaking.

What we don't look forward to & don't expect to love are the accommodations. There is nothing special about the rooms. Actually, they are usually yucky... yes yucky.

I have learned from many hot spring trips out west to expect the pools to be righteous & the rooms to be void of any creature comforts. If you want to spend a lot of money on the rooms, go to a spa, a fancy spa! There are many!
The point here is that we go to these places for the hot springs & this one is GREAT!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Nottingham, New Hamphire
Reviewed July 5, 2011

We stayed here for one night planning to hike the collegiate peaks the following morning and it was well worth the stay. It costs $15 to day soak and $40 to stay in a comfortable hostel bed just upstairs. Not too shabby to say the least. There was one other person staying in the communal room that fit 11 comfortably. You wont get the Sheraton, but I've stayed in many a hostel and this is comfort to the extreme. We drank a few brews and relaxed in the springs till midnight. If there was dirt or algae, I didn't see it. Sorry, I was too busy enjoying while my body was engulfed by delightful hot water. A little sauna later and I was sleeping like a baby.

Room Tip: Go for the hostel beds, great value for money
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Limington, Maine
Reviewed June 28, 2011

We had booked for 2 nights, but left after the first night. Upon arrival, I asked about the restaurant(sign outside). I was told there was no restaurant. One had to go to town for food. I later saw a sign posted for dinner with 2 choices of entre. Thinking it was an old sign, we went to town for dinner. I soaked in the hot springs later in the evening. Some of the springs were not hot and they were not clean. Algae and other debris floated in them. Also because they were not all hot, many people crowded into the 2 hot ones. Not pleasant as one person talked on his cell phone for about 30 minutes.
I did not see any signs indicating the various temperatures of the pools, but there were plenty of signs all over the lodge and in the rooms indicating all of the things one should not do. The set a very negative atmosphere.
The following morning as we signed out, I noticed another sign offering dinner. I asked the person at the desk. She said yes they do serve dinner. Two sittings, one at 5pm and one at 7 pm. She added that they also sometimes fire up the grill at 6 pm and grill steaks or burgers. Very confusing and contradictory environment.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank nasusmcp
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed June 16, 2011

Do not camp here and don't bring your dogs! We were charged a total of $94 for ONE NIGHT with two dogs. Our ant-covered campground featured a fire pit and a fish pond. There was no picnic table. The nearest restroom was a portapotty that was about 1/8 mile away (no sink included there). If you walked a quarter mile you could get to a bathroom with a sink.

The showers at the hot springs suck, so cleanliness occurs when you soak yourself in the springs themselves. They have signs warning you to only wear sun screen on your face as body sunscreen ruins the water. There is one communal changing room and one hot outdoor shower/one cold indoor shower. The springs themselves are clean and nice enough, though the landscaping is pretty lazy and lots of teenagers come in the evenings.

If you bring your dogs (for $15/night), you get to walk them in a very confined parking lot area. If you walk past that, there's a private residence and you get yelled at by smarmy spa inhabitant people.

If for whatever reason you feel you must visit this overpriced racket of a hot spring, camp up the road for free on national forest land. The amenities are about the same, except you poop in the wilderness and not a smelly portapotty. Or shell out more and stay in the lodge or in a cabin. But know that you can do better, either at Joyful Journey or Valley View or one of the other springs not too far away.

Room Tip: For God's sake don't camp here
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Buffalo Peaks Bed and Breakfast
Pinon Court Cabins
Pinon Court Cabins
#3 of 3 in Buena Vista

Been to Cottonwood Hot Springs Inn & Health Spa? Share your experiences!