“Nice staff but bad food”

Jan's Family Restaurant and Lounge
Ranked #12 of 42 Restaurants in Buena Vista
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 2, 2012

The staff here was very friendly. The food, however, left a lot to be desired. Salad had that un-rinsed bag salad taste, canned gravy, awful soup, veggies clearly frozen and nuked. Most of the food here is canned or pre-packaged in some way. That being said, chicken tenders were tasty, good fries, and dinner rolls were very good. Lot's of food for the money. Overall, would not go back again.

Reviewed June 28, 2012

As full time RVers, my husband and I really enjoy trying out and returning to eat at restaurants in the various locals where we spend time. This is one restaurant to which we will NOT return.
My spaghetti arrived cold and, when it came back from the kitchen, had obviously been nuked. My husband's chicken fried steak had a floury, pasty taste and was fried in oil that should have been changed long ago. The only beer on tap was Coors Light and our waiter had an attitude.
Go to The Branding Iron - the food and service are much better!

Reviewed June 12, 2012

Always seems to have a nice crowd of travelers and locals enjoying family style dining. Good locations right on Route 24.

Reviewed June 6, 2012

Excellent home cooking where staff treat you as family. Breakfasts are worth a long drive!

Reviewed June 4, 2012

We were driving through Buena Vista and decided to get something to eat. Our general rule is to stop at the place with the most cars parked outside (the thought being that the more people eating there, the better the food). This has served us well in the past. However, Jan's proved to be the exception to the rule. We arrived just as they were transitioning from breakfast to lunch. My wife ordered pancakes, one of my daughters and I ordered a roast beef sandwich, and our other daughter ordered a cheeseburger. Understandably, my wife's pancakes came first. They were burned on one side. My daughter and I ordered salads with our roast beef sandwiches. The produce was semi-wilted, like the salads had been made the night before and left in the refrigerator. The roast beef sandwiches were horrible. The sandwiches were cold (supposed to be hot) and the beef was dry and tough. There was coagulated grease on the meat. None of the food seemed fresh, which surprised us since they had just started serving lunch. We took a couple of bites and could not eat any more. For awhile, we were actually concerned about food poisoning (not exaggerating). The service was kind of slow. But they were pretty busy. So, we chalked it up to that. Overall, our lunch at Jan's now ranks among the worst dining experiences we've ever had. Maybe we caught them on a bad day. But we'll never go back there to find out.

2  Thank Ron W