“Am I the only one that doesn't like the new recliners?”

AMC Flatiron Crossing 14
Ranked #1 of 8 Fun & Games in Broomfield
Reviewed June 1, 2013

I just saw Star Trek in theater 4 of the AMC Flatirons. This theater has the new recliner chairs. After the initial wow factor of the chairs I soon realized that this is a nice idea but one that is poorly executed to the point that I will avoid theaters that has these chairs in the future. I have 4 issues with the chairs.

1) If put into recline, then one's head is pointing up towards the ceiling so that the viewer has to look down their nose. Persons with eyeglasses, such as myself, end up looking beneath their glasses so that we have to slide our glasses down our noses. This is obviously impractical so the recline becomes more useless as you go towards the back of the theater (where the viewer is not looking up at the screen).

2) I do not consider myself particularly tall (5'11") but I found that the chair does not have any neck or head support. In a regular theater chair this is not an issue as one's head weight is supported through the neck into the spine and body. In the recliner the weight of the head is pushed back where there is no support through the body. This causes neck strain over time, making using the reclining feature of dubious benefit. If I sink down into the chair so that I can rest my neck, then I lose lumber support and my head becomes so low that the glass (see point 3) gets in the way of the screen.

3) In front of the seat is a wall with a glass top to make it higher. The glass is particularly annoying as it catches and reflects light causing distraction during the movie viewing. In addition I found that if the seat is reclined too much that the glass starts to cover the lower portion of the screen causing more distraction. The glass really needs to go.

4) I don't know if the seats are leather or vinyl but I felt like they are cheap vinyl in that they don't breathe at all. After the movie I felt like I had wet myself in that the seats made me sticky and damp due to their warmth and lack of moisture breathability. Cloth seats are so much nicer.

While I am sure a lot of people will like these, to me in the end it felt like a downgrade.

4  Thank Kerry N

Reviewed May 28, 2013

I recently watched the new Star Trek movie in 3D at the AMC Flatiron Crossing with some friends and we had a wonderful experience there. I went on a Saturday late afternoon and there were little to no lines, the movie theater was extremely clean, the employees were friendly and the concession stands were very well-stocked. I was quite impressed to see a fully-stocked bar within the lobby area as well. The seats were very modern and extremely comfortable as they were plush recliners that provided both great space and great comfort. Overall, it was a fantastic movie experience. This is a great place to take the family or a date for a movie night.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

The theater seating is great and I like how you can grab your popcorn and food and get in a seperate line instead of waiting in the long line with one person waiting on you. Their popcorn is always fresh and the seating is great in the theater. Also great location and around a lot of great places to eat.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is certainly out least favorite theater. It is well maintained but you can hear other movies playing in adjacent theaters during your movie. It is very distracting, especially when you are in a quite part of your movie and hear loud music or explosions from whatever is playing next door.

2  Thank Cindy E
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Nice group of people who are friendly and helpful when you visit. Concessions guy is friendly and patient. Current seats are comfortable, however, soon they will have recliners. In the lobby area there is a demo you can try out.