“Good grub in a relaxed location”
Review of The Old Man

The Old Man
Ranked #24 of 196 Restaurants in Broomfield
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Bar scene
Description: Let’s get one thing clear from the get-go: This place is a Road House, and I use that term in a most complimentary way. The Old Man is like the Kathmandu Market of pubs – lots of variety, something for everyone, and always a screaming deal to be had, including great $2 cans every day. Olympia, Keystone Light, even Old Milwaukee – which regularly blows the doors off high priced American lagers in blind taste tests. (I’m talking to you, every brand out there with a 7-figure marketing campaign) Pulling into The Old Man on a Wednesday at 8pm, there are more than 50 cars in the lot, forcing me to park way out on the gravel. I’m thinking it must be booked for a private party or something. Nope – it’s just Wednesday. Groups of dudes finishing up BBQ (no table service here – just walk yourself up to the window and go for Pulled Pork with Kansas City Sweet, side of Hot Links), a zesty bodybuilder chick playing pool, people gearing up for some volleyball in the big back yard. Every type of hat is worn in this place – from cowboy to baseball and everything in between – including tuque (that’s a Bob and Doug McKenzie reference – just to see what it does to our Google search metrics). The Old Man is a classic old joint amidst the sea of strip-center hell that 120th Avenue has become. Yes, there might be a rusty El Camino in the parking lot, and Grand Funk Railroad may be cranking when you walk in. But that’s the point. This is America, and you embrace it with all your heart. Your Barman JJ Abbey grew up a wrist rocket shot away in West Lake, went to Northglenn High, and is an affable, fun-loving wiseguy. If he’s busy counseling the shagadelic cougar at the end of the bar, Kristy will get you what you need with style and grace. Enjoy the initials and messages carved into the paneling, check out the vintage photos of some classic Old Men, and if you ask real nice you might even get your own beer coozy to store in JJ’s beer coozy room. Just try to find this positive vibe and color in any of the cookie-cutter joints down the way. Bet you an Old Mil that you can’t. No nearby megabar – even one with a supposedly cool rooftop patio – can touch The Old Man. $2 beers and thick green grass under your flip flops – tell me there’s a Pub Heaven, and I’ll tell you it probably looks like this. We support the Saints, Nuggets, Rockies, Avalanche and the Broncos/Raiders rivalry, in addition to all of Colorado's college teams.
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We just ate here today. We had five adults and three kids. It's a fun, relaxed location. It is a bar, but perfectly fine place to take kids to, as long as you're not pretentious. :-) The service was fast and friendly. They have very good BBQ. I had a 1/4 pound turkey combo with potato salad and beans for sides. The beans were the best part - for those who are veggies, they do have meat in them and a little kick. They were really good. The smoked turkey was also good with the mustard BBQ sauce. I wasn't crazy about the potato salad, but it was just a personal preference, as I like mine with more of a mustard flavor and less mayo. They give you a TON of food! My husband had the blackened steak salad and loved every bit of it. My daughter also devoured the rib combo meal she ordered. The one thing that you MUST have are the chips! They are to die for! If I had known how good they were I would have ordered a batch for just myself! They make them fresh and serve them with a spicy ranch. The reason why we went to this restaurant was because my friend (who is vegetarian) suggested it to us! I thought that was quite funny, as this is definitely a meat lover's paradise! The pickings are thin for a vegetarian - basically your choices are salad, pub chips, fried pickles, fried okra, spicy coleslaw, corn on the cob, potato salad, fries or onion rings. However, my vegetarian friend loved her salad and chips! She said that she and her friends like to go there for happy hour.

Reviewed December 6, 2012 via mobile

It looks like a dive bar from the outside. Inside they smoke their own meat and its delicious! Ribs, chicken, pulled pork, brisket......

The front door says "no table service" but I've yet to go there and no get great service. Prices and serving sizes are great. It is part bar part restaurant.....so it can get loud. We've been visiting The Old Man for several years now and have never been disappointed.

1  Thank RJFfromCO
Reviewed November 20, 2012

The staff, the food and the ice cold beer. It just doesn't get any better than this. JJ and his staff always treat all the members of my family as if we are part of the wonderful team of folks at the Oldman. The smoked wings are a very unique and can be had with various hot sauces. The service of the entire staff is excellent and the folks in the kitchen have made my special request any time I ask. Ribs, Rib Tips, Burgres and the smoked Turkey Salad are all awesome. I'll be gong back this afternoon at the request of our two young nephews

Thanks to all the staff fro continuing to shine with your excellent customer service.
Don A and his entire family

Reviewed October 21, 2012

The small red barn of a place, that as a child was one of only three building on the north side of 120th spanning from Lowell and Sheridan, only three buildings! Now there is a Wal-Mart, Noodles and Company, Qudoba, and a tanning salon just to name a few. This place has always stood tall, however, in my 20 years of driving past it I have never stopped in.
The Old Man is a Bar-B-Q and bar atmosphere that was previously named Roosters. Roosters really had a reputation of being a dirty biker gang type bar that was as far from family as could be. Then about 5 years ago new management came in and revamped the whole joint, I was still skeptical. I drive by this building more than ever now; my current job is directly across of the busy streets of 120th. I had heard from word of mouth that it was actually a great place so my family and I said heck lets go!
I do not even know were to begin! This place is great! We walk through the loose gravel parking lot to a door that says in large letters: No Table Service! For those of you that this does not make sense to; that means that you go sit down and you will basically have someone different come serve you at your table throughout the meal. As we open the door the over whelming smell of BBQ floods all of your sense, and the scrawny “bouncer” if you will, asks for everyone’s ID’s weather you are drinking or not, I assume this is how they catch underage drinkers, which gave me the impression that they care about the business.
We seat ourselves in a booth with a shoulder high wall separating the dinning room from the bar. College football is on all the 40-inch flat screens and people at the bar are hooting and hollering. Our first server comes by and grabs our order of two Bud Lights and a sweet tea; it’s out in minuets. We look over the menu with many options and incredibly low prices. They have descriptions of all the meals and prices clearly labeled, I personally hate not knowing if I get one side or two, salad or bread what ever the case may be, we didn’t have this problem. A few minuets have passed we are asked our order and our questions were answered with a friendly joking matter. Not even five minuets have passed and all our steamy hot pulled pork, in my case pulled chicken, fried okra, corn and spicy pit beans have arrived. It’s mouthwatering to look at! We all dig in and devourer our food. Another thing that I always pay attention to is how quickly they notice my empty glass and The Old Man servers were on top of it, I never had to slurp to get the ice melt for my drying mouth.
I completely enjoyed every aspect of this place, I had high standards and so did my family and we were all individually very happy and plan to start going there more often for it’s on a busy street but you feel like you went to Wyoming for the night and your in the middle of no where, which is just how my family likes it. I hope you are inspired to go enjoy some awesome BBQ!

Reviewed September 8, 2012

If you enjoy wings and BBQ ribs.....you gotta try The Old Man's!!! The burgers are pretty darn good too. It's got a very causal, bar like feel but there are plenty of tables to sit at while having some great food. Staff is helpful and welcoming. The sign on the door says no table service but I've been there at least 15 times and have always had table service. The manager told me they say that just in case.....LOL

1  Thank RJFfromCO