“Comfortable and cozy”

Marriott's Mountain Valley Lodge at Breckenridge
Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Breckenridge
Reviewed March 30, 2014

I loved the location of this resort and I really felt at home in the room we had. The best thing about the resort is the ski-in, ski-out factor. The room has a full kitchen, sofa, cozy bed, and the sink to the bathroom is seperate from the toilet. As far as the pool area goes... it is the best pool area! The reason it is so wonderful is that I could swim laps and then enjoy one of the four hot tubs they had located outside with the view of the mountain. The town of Breckenridge is a nice size with plenty of activities. I took in dogsledding one day while my husband went skiing. Also, there is plenty of shopping, ice castle viewing, and snowmobiling. It is a family friendly town and I didn't want to leave.

Room Tip: We were on the ground floor looking at the ski hill and close to the pool. Our room number was 7131...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 7wonderstraveler

Reviewed March 19, 2014

We stayed here recently 1 night on Marriott points.

The good:

Great location.. lifts walking distance, town/main street also close.
Hot tubs/pool- very nice pool.. hot tubs were good too.

The not so good:
Parking garage is disconnected from hotel.. it's not too far away, but it's a little bit of a pain. You can always drop off and pick up at the lobby entrance.

We tried to check in around 2:30ish.. room not ready, which was fine.. we walked around town, then called around 3:45 and they said about 30 min...got there at 4:30 and room still not ready. It was finally ready at 4:55. We got a bottle of wine as an apology, which was nice... but it kinda sucked watching couple after couple come in and get keys to their rooms while we waiting in the lobby. The girl at the counter, while not mean... could have been a little nicer/welcoming.

Some of the buildings are separate from the lobby. The problem here is, you have to use a liftgate in the main building to get down to the level where the other building area. Again, not a huge deal, but between the liftgate, and 5 doors to our room, it's a bit of a pain.

The rooms we had was very small and cramped. 1 too many pieces of furniture. While this is kinda a hybrid marriott property, it was one of the smallest rooms we have ever stayed in at a marriott.

bottom line... decent hotel worth a few pains for the conveniences. I probably wouldn't be real happy paying $400 a night, but again.. we used points and it was worth it.

closer to 3.5 stars, but I rounded up because the sun is out today.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mtnmanlives
MVCI_Executive, Customer Care at Marriott's Mountain Valley Lodge at Breckenridge, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2014

We appreciate your positive review of Marriott’s Mountain Valley Lodge! We are happy to hear you had a great family vacation while visiting Breckenridge. Our team also appreciates your feedback about the check-in experience and apologize your villa was not ready at 4PM. We will share your comments with the appropriate managers for further follow up with the front desk team. Thank you again for your review and we hope you visit us again soon!

Reviewed February 15, 2014

My family and I stayed for 2 nights in this hotel. First time seeing snow :)
I found the location very convinient because it is at a walking distance from the main street and from the free ride bus stops.
Hotel room was clean and comfortable.

Stayed: February 2014
MVCI_Executive, Customer Care at Marriott's Mountain Valley Lodge at Breckenridge, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2014

Thank you for your positive review of Marriott’s Mountain Valley Lodge! We truly value your positive feedback and are glad our team exceeded your expectations on your recent stay. It is also great to hear you were able to see snow for the first time! We hope you can visit us again soon on your next trip to Breckenridge.

Reviewed February 4, 2014

Stayed 7 nights with a group of friends in late January. I'm not always the biggest fan of Marriott properties, but this one was better than expected, and we received great service.

Pros:
- Great staff the entire trip. We received a warm check-in greeting, some very solid (non-touristy) restaurant recommendations, and maid service scheduled around our preferences.
- Room was better than average for Marriott. Recently renovated and nice finishes. The in-room humidifiers were a very nice touch.
- The only comfortable pull-out sofas I've ever slept on. Tempur-pedic-esque mattresses; couldn't feel the frame like you normally do on pull-outs.
- Underground parking garage allowed easy access to the pool and ski-storage.
- Convenient to the Peak 9 base lifts.

Cons:
- Pool and hot tub areas were nice, with the exception of one hot tub that was either out of service or foamy the entire week. The hotel may need maintenance to check it out, but it was such a small thing I forgot to tell them.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank Jason S
MVCI_Executive, Customer Care at Marriott's Mountain Valley Lodge at Breckenridge, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

It is always rewarding to hear when we have exceeded our guest's expectations! We appreciate your five-star review and thank you for your kind words for our associates. Thank you as well for your feedback about the hot tub and we will have our maintenance team correct this issue. Please come visit us again soon at Marriott's Mountain Valley Lodge!

Reviewed January 27, 2014

Stayed in a 1-bedroom for a week in mid-January and I have no complaints. The space was HUGE - bigger than my apartment in Denver. 2 pull out couches, 2 full bathrooms, great kitchen with eating space and beautiful views of the mountain from both our living room and bedroom (think it was technically a lakeview if you want to specify when making reservations). Staff were helpful; helped me find a snowshoe trail and helped us get our ski gear sorted out. Parking is fine - my only complaint is it's a one-car maximum so that was a bit inconvenient when we had friends stay with us for a night. They had to park in a lot about a 5 minute walk away so it wasn't the end of the world. Like everyone else said, location is great. Loved being able to walk to all the restaurants and bars in town. And then be able to ski to a chair lift. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Lake view or say you'd like a room with a view of the mountain.
Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Leeza4849
Reviewed January 12, 2014

We stayed one night in Breck on our way back to DIA from Aspen and this hotel's location was perfect and the price was among the best we could find for the Jan 1st holiday week. Pluses: great location, good housekeeping, good for kids, front desk was sort of helpful, great views of the pond/mountains, comfortable/roomy room (king suite). Minuses: Lobby sub-par and unkempt; parking is a fiasco to say the least. We could not access our garage from the elevator in the building even though it was full of cars from hotel guests perhaps from other buildings- why guests aren;t assigned parking in the basement of their building accessible by elevator is beyond me. I can;t imagine being handicapped and navigating this property. To go into town we were directed down a steel fire escape type set of stairs, which was treacherous. Getting back into the building required scaling the same set of stairs or walking around the driveway access which was icy and narrow. To get to our car we needed to walk out of the building, walk down the car ramp (no sidewalk), use the drive-up card swipe, run through the aluminum doors before they shut behind us, and then wander around the crowded garage to the car which was one foot from the next car and about 6 inches from one of several supporting beams. Signage is poor or non-existent. Cute names for the separate hotel buildings does nothing but further confuse. This hotel does not need a rocket scientist to figure out that the physical plant layout is laughable and could easily be fixed for short dollars. We are a very mobile, walk everywhere family not tethered to our vehicle and so when I read the other reviews I was undeterred. But I will never stay here again because the thoughtlessness of this inconvenience is just inexcusable. If I had a baby or a sprained ankle the hotel would be in need of a defense attorney. Finally, you'll get a nice note before your arrival to accommodate your requests. Ours was simple - we wanted to check in by 3 instead of 4PM. As a Marriott gold member I thought this would be easy. Not. Several excuses later we finally got into our room around 4:20PM. Oh, one more thing. There is some kind of boiler blow-off device (others have called it an AC unit, I am not sure which it is) on the lower rooftop of the main building that sounds like a B52 taking off every 15 minutes or so. I knew when I walked by it we would be hearing it all night - fortunately we were on the top floor so it was not unbearable. I hope you have better luck staying at this place. I give it 3 stars only because the location is so important to us.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
6  Thank heyarl1
MVCI_Executive, Customer Care at Marriott's Mountain Valley Lodge at Breckenridge, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2014

Thank you for visiting Marriott's Mountain Valley Lodge. We are happy your family enjoyed the resort’s prime location in beautiful Breckenridge. However, we are disappointed to learn your stay did not exceed your expectations due to the problems with parking. It is also concerning that you were not given correct information on when your room would be available at check-in.

We would welcome the chance to personally respond to your concerns and invite you to contact our Customer Care team at customer.care@vacationclub.com or by calling 800-860-9384.

Reviewed January 10, 2014

This was our first time at this property and we had a studio. We were right next to the pond :) At first we were puzzled by the building layout, but we never saw or heard anyone (week between Christmas and New Years!) so clearly a design to enhance the feel of privacy.
Nice pull out sofa for the kids--comfortable foam mattress, unlike the usual flimsy foldout.
Was very clean, although the one thing I did not anticipate was not having daily service to the room.
Although we didn't participate in other activities, a daily flyer of special events appeared each morning and there were many fun things on the agenda!
With ski valet included and right on the property, this was so pleasant to not have to wrangle with gear at the end of the day

VACATION CANDY
This was my first time using Vacation Candy and it was a phenomenal service! Great value and the customer service and communication made it feel like I was booking through a personal travel agent. Am already looking for our next ski trip on Vacation Candy :)

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family