“Don't expect any amenities”

Marriott's Mountain Valley Lodge at Breckenridge
Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Breckenridge
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I stayed at this property for one night hoping for a bit of R&R in between a chaotic business meeting and conference. This is a no-frills, bare bones property, no on-site restaurant, no services (room service, spa, etc). The property is sterile, the rooms are okay (furniture is a bit shabby and well-loved). If you are a family looking for a basic condo in which to enjoy the mountains from as home-base, this would be a good option as long as you're not interested in any luxury amenities. I mean none. As a business traveler that likes to hide away, get some room service and work with an opportunity to get away from it all, this was not it.

Room Tip: Decent views of mountains with slope-facing rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank ExpatDreams

Reviewed July 27, 2013

We arrived late afternoon on a Sunday after a whitewater rafting trip. I figured most guests would have already checked in so my request for a room with a view would not be granted. I was wrong. We were put in the Creekside building on the third floor (top floor for this building) right next to Maggie Pond. My wife and our daughters loved the balcony and spent time on it watching the fish and two beavers below. Three geese arrived to the pond on our last day of our visit.

The room had been recently renovated and smelled new. The kitchen area features stainless GE appliances and a full size refrigerator. There is a vent fan in the room with the toilet which I seldom find in hotels. The front desk staff was very friendly but for the overnight clerk who was clearly annoyed when we requested an extra bottle of shampoo. (With my wife and our two daughters having fairly long hair, I didn't think it was an unreasonable request....)

The pool is shared by another hotel property but was never crowded. The hotel is situated toward the south end of Breckenridge but is certainly within walking distance of lots of shops and places to eat. Eating is not cheap but there is a Kroger-affiliated City Market store about a mile or so away to the north. Drive-thrus are not permitted in the town which, as far as I'm concerned, is something to be applauded. A nature trail connects the hotel to a National Forest where my youngest daughter and I discovered streams, lots and lots of greenery, and some wildlife.

If you go to Breckenridge in the summer I highly recommend going to the "Fun Park." It's pricey but it's also good fun.

I certainly recommend this hotel for families.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the perimeter of the hotel since it's non-air conditioned. Our room facing ou...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank RedPenguin02
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Stayed here on points and it is classic Marriott quality. This property is a true vacation timeshare type location. No meeting space, but a great pool (4 hot tubs!!) with indoor/outdoor pool entrance that my daughter loved going in and out of a billion times. Nice kid friendly game room with free games. Full kitchenette in the room. I had a high floor with beautiful mountain view. I would suggest requesting the high floor pool side view. Nice water feature in the center of town with the creek running thru the middle. Free parking was also handy. No restaurant on property but several good one's close. Try the margarita bar "Rita's" it was awesome! Looks like a dive bar in the basement, but the salsa's were amazing!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank www_prodev_com
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Underwhelmed by the size of the lobby and friendly but very “young” staff, we were not prepared for the room, AKA the palatial apartment that awaited us. We booked a one bedroom villa and could not have been happier with the size, luxurious furnishings (recently updated), kitchen configuration, accessories, bathrooms (yes, two full baths), and electronics and with closets so large they could serve as additional bedrooms. Really beautifully designed, the villa was beyond expectations including the terrific sofa beds which were an extremely comfortable firm foam type mattress instead of the traditional bar-to-the-back- sofa bed one generally finds. The kitchen had been sufficiently stocked with plates and cooking utensils that we opted one night to make dinner, a peaceful break from eating yet another lavish vacation dinner out. We didn’t know how to handle dirty dishes (do nothing if you like according to the front desk) but we elected to fill up and run the dishwasher. We did use the fitness center (quite nice) and took an early morning dip in one of the hot tubs, a great way to start the day.

The only downsides were firstly the garage parking which was located in the next building – it was not possible to exit the building with a wheelchair as the elevator went into the unrelated condos above. We solved this by dropping off a family member and just parking in a standard stall and taking the stairs. In inclement weather this could be an annoyance but we didn’t mind for our short stay. Secondly, the young staff which tried to be helpful but clearly needed some polish.

I cannot say enough about the quality of our room. Our stay was nearly perfect. My mother even suggested that we should have booked another night to enjoy the room and town longer – I concur.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank SteveDesign
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

Drink water before you stay in Breckenridge to ward off altitude sickness. No one mentioned to us Midwesterners and spent whole day in bed. Lodge not what we imagined. We are rewards members so did not read reviews. Carpet a little worn from winter use I guess but kitchen and bathroom exceptional. Haven't seen grounds yet but from balcony seems a little crowded. Great view of mountains. Had to park underground.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank 2Hap
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We arrived in Breckenridge excited about renting a "time-share" for the evening. First of all, you have to park your vehicle VERY far from where you're staying. Then you get into the room and the bed is about three years beyond needing replacing. No air-conditioning - was okay (up in the mountains), but it would have been nice to know ahead of time. My room wasn't ready at the "check-in" time. Had to wait a hour and a half before it was ready. Got in at 5:30pm, instead of 4:00pm. After a long day of driving, that was not acceptable.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Tom D
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Traded our condo through Marriott to book here. I requested a quite unit on top floor, and we got a 1 bedroom unit on top floor. Nice unit. Recently renovated, they say. Staff was great and nice. Just love this hotel and it's location at the top of Main Street. Love Maggie's pond right out side. Love the time spent at the pool. Only complaint >> fridge in the unit was SO LOUD; when ice dropped, or when freezer fan was running; we had to keep our bedroom door closed at night to sleep. LOVE Breckenridge, so we will be back !!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple