“Great Seafood in Colorado -- who knew?”
Review of Whale's Tail - CLOSED

Whale's Tail
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Being from Boston, I'm a bit skeptical of seafood restaurants not near a coast, but the Whale's Tail was great! Their fried calamari was tasty and fresh, and the trout was fabulous. The non-seafood items were good too, especially the Sliders appetizer with pork, kobe beef, and elk sliders.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

Visited this restaurant las week - serious low point of a good holiday! . Went as foursome, so lots of conversation. Unfortunately the innattentive waiter presented our main course before two of us were anywhere near finishing our starters. When I refused to give up what was left of my excellent starter, it was made obvious to me that that was unreasonable. That was just the initial shock, as then the manager was then summoned. Once again, the overall impression was that I was in the wrong and unreasonable.
Our friend gave up what was left of her starter, but I asked for more time and my main course was taken back to the kitchen.
When I eventually requested my main course, I was told that I had not had enough time between courses and would have to wait!
When my main course was finally served, I found that it had not even been kept warm.

1  Thank Peter Y
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Happy hour-drinks,shrimp,wings-decent price and tasty. Service was prompt and great. Didn't order off menu,just apps but worth price.

Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

Very good pub food, great ambiance, Sundsy brunch available. I tried the trio sliders, kobe beef, elk, and oirk. Sweet potatoe fries were great. Good for kids, great location downtown main street.Wife had a goid clam chowfer and cheese steak, kids had frilled cheese and chu ken fingers, so good for children as well, would come back.great friendly attentive staff, eclectic secor eill warm fire place and quaint bar

Reviewed February 17, 2013

I always hate leaving a negative review. I've been to hundreds of restaurants all over the world and very rarely leave negative reviews.

Maybe we just had an off day but I have to post an objective review for the benefit of others.

We were walking around downtown looking for a place to eat. We rented a gorgeous townhouse just a few blocks from here. We've been to Breckenridge before and realize that most of these restaurants are geared towards tourists and the food quality isn't going to be the best but even by those standards the meal was poor to mediocre. So was the service.

It took a while for us to get a waitress which was ok as it was fairly full. We ordered and it took forever to get our food. We did watch as others did get their food and as other reviews mentioned, the portions are very big. I saw this couple sitting next to us and she ordered a brunch dish of eggs and it was HUGE. She didn't barely eat any of it. But I suspect it had to do with quality of food vs. portion size.

Our waitress was nice and apologized for the long wait. We ordered a few kids meals of chicken strips and fries. I had a salad and the clam chowder. (neither of which was particularly good). My wife got the steel cut oatmeal and asked for the plain oatmeal (they have another kind with spices/fruit) but we asked for plain but the girl brought out the wrong one. By this time we had waited about 30 minutes for the meal so we didn't want to ask for her to correct it as it would have taken too long as the kids were getting antsy to go sledding.

The kids chicken strips were the frozen variety that was just baked. Nothing seemed too fresh or appetizing. Again, maybe it was just an off day but NO way I think some of the other reviews on TA are accurate. Especially the ones that said to "make reservations". This place isn't worth making a "reservation" for.

Probably it would be good for happy hour and drinks but I certainly can't recommend this place for the food. There were posters on the wall saying this place was featured on some show. But I can't imagine it was for the food as the food was very mediocre to poor. JMHO.

On the plus side there IS a great view if you get a table near the window. It has that going for it.

1  Thank saintba