“I can see why it's considered moderate” 4 of 5 stars

McCullough Gulch
Parkville, MO
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“I can see why it's considered moderate”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

I only did a little portion of the trail since I wasn't completely acclimated to the altitude. Regardless, I did enjoy the hike and wish I could have gone further. The scenery was wonderful and worth the short hike. After the hike I drove Blue Lakes road and that was wonderful with great scenery!

Visited October 2013

Fort Worth, Texas
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Breath-Taking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

McCullough Gulch has beautiful waterfalls and views. It is amazing! It is a difficult climb so make sure you have good hiking boots (tennis shoes or running shoes won't work). It is a good work out.

Allentown, Pennsylvania
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Go to the top!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

This is a great three hour hike, longer if you take breaks as we did. Gorgeous waterfalls and varied climbs. Definitely wear hiking shoes not sneakers as the paths vary in difficulty. It's described as intermediate and that's fair. The altitude gets you if you're not used to it so take it slow. The view at the top is really worth it and there are wonderful photo ops. We saw small kids wearing crocs and serious campers and lots of dogs. We didn't see much wildlife which was disappointing. One squirrel, two chipmunks and three birds! Wildflowers were still lovely in early September.

2 Thank Corbygirl261
Westchester County, NY
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Not for the Faint of Heart”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

After reading the reviews for this hike, we were certain that it was something that we wanted to do. Most of the reviews make it seem like a hike that anyone can do, and I suppose that is almost accurate, but do not go into this thinking that it's a piece of cake. I'm sure that experienced hikers in Colorado might consider this "easy to moderate," but for the casual hiker who hasn't been on a trail in a few years, this hike is going to make you sweat -- not to mention make your lungs burn as the altitude starts at about 11,000 feet and approaches 12,000 feet at the end of the 1.3 mile hike. Of course, the waterfalls and running water are beautiful, and the glacial lake at the very top is a sight to behold, but I caution again, if you are out of shape, or not really a hiker, be prepared for a real challenge. Now that about 10 days have passed, I suppose that I am glad that I made the hike, but I certainly wouldn't rush to do it again the next time that I'm in Breck!

3 Thank jbd44
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 76 helpful votes
“Beautiful hike”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

As said in other reviews this is a good started hike. There are some slippery and muddy spots this time if year but we easily hiked to the lake. If you want a very moderate hike with great scenery this is a good hike . But I have one big warning..many people bring their dogs and they are NOT polite about picking up waste . My son stepped in it and to make a long story short we ended up having to wash him off in the water. It ruined our hike in a way. Careful where you step!!

Visited August 2013