“Not for the Faint of Heart”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of McCullough Gulch

McCullough Gulch
Westchester County, NY
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Not for the Faint of Heart”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

After reading the reviews for this hike, we were certain that it was something that we wanted to do. Most of the reviews make it seem like a hike that anyone can do, and I suppose that is almost accurate, but do not go into this thinking that it's a piece of cake. I'm sure that experienced hikers in Colorado might consider this "easy to moderate," but for the casual hiker who hasn't been on a trail in a few years, this hike is going to make you sweat -- not to mention make your lungs burn as the altitude starts at about 11,000 feet and approaches 12,000 feet at the end of the 1.3 mile hike. Of course, the waterfalls and running water are beautiful, and the glacial lake at the very top is a sight to behold, but I caution again, if you are out of shape, or not really a hiker, be prepared for a real challenge. Now that about 10 days have passed, I suppose that I am glad that I made the hike, but I certainly wouldn't rush to do it again the next time that I'm in Breck!

Visited September 2013
3 Thank jbd44

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 88 helpful votes
“Beautiful hike”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

As said in other reviews this is a good started hike. There are some slippery and muddy spots this time if year but we easily hiked to the lake. If you want a very moderate hike with great scenery this is a good hike . But I have one big warning..many people bring their dogs and they are NOT polite about picking up waste . My son stepped in it and to make a long story short we ended up having to wash him off in the water. It ruined our hike in a way. Careful where you step!!

1 Thank aweiss00
West Olive, Michigan
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Don't miss this hike!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

This was a great hike that we completed in about 3 hours round trip. There are 2 different areas that you can view the waterfalls. We didn't go all the way to the lake (but wish we did!) but what scenery we saw was beautiful! The path was well marked until the second viewing area of the waterfalls. It does get steep at that point but it was no problem for even average hikers. We followed the beaten path and stayed on course with out any issues. It wasn't strenuous physically but because of the altitude it was difficult to catch our breath. There are no bathroom facilities at the trail head and sturdy shoes were helpful. Bring snacks and water and take your time---the views are great!

2 Thank flyer4fun
El Lago, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great starter hike”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

We get to hike once a year and this was a great hike to get the legs and lungs ready for longer hikes. The lake is beautiful and well worth the effort getting there.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank 555Hiker55
Papillion, Nebraska
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“First hike ever - loved it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

Glad we are in pretty good shape as its a good workout! We started around early afternoon and finished it in less than 3 hours. Got caught in the rain, which makes the trip back interesting, so I'd recommend an earlier start! Beauty all around - DO IT!!!