“Great Condo, loud neighbors” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Powderhorn Condominiums

Powderhorn Condominiums
Littleton, Colorado
“Great Condo, loud neighbors”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

Although the initial smell of the condo is a bit gamey, most condos in ski towns are due to the amount of wet snow brought in to the carpets over the season. Powderhorn is a great looking place from the inside and a bit dated from the outside. The late check in (4PM) is also a bit off putting for those only staying one night. If we stay here again it will be for a longer time frame.

Kitchen: fully furnished with updated appliances and every utensil needed to accomplish any meal.

Bathrooms: nicely upgraded finishes, but bring your own soap and shampoo. The little bar they have is all...no shampoo at all.

Beds: Beds are OK, but Pillows SUCK! Absolutely no cushion. If I returned, I would have to bring my own pillow. Worst pillows I have ever seen in a rental.

Noise: Walls are not paper thin, but the house party above us would wake the dead regardless of sound proofing anyway. Trouble is, no front desk means that if we wanted to ask the people upstairs to keep it down at 11PM at night because they are making my 7 and 4 year olds wake up, then I would have to bang on the ceiling or go up and confront them. Not going to confront a house full of partying drunkards so we had to just tough it out. The sound slowed down around 12:30. Front desk service would have really helped potentially diffuse the situation.

Overall, we really like the facility and aside from the neighbors, would return for a longer stay.

• Stayed August 2013

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Parker, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

VERY BEAUTIFUL UNIT AND VERY CLEAN, JUST LIKE HOME!!!
The large picture window needs help, can't see very well out of it and thats the whole point of having great views on a getaway!! The master bed is very firm foam,almost a bit too firm. A few large cracks in the ceilings otherwise decorated very nice.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank itsall4hisglory
Lees Summit Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

OK well I read the other reviews on Powderhorn and our experience was NOT the same. It was a very nice very clean condo; granite countertops, 2 full bathrooms, 2 bedrooms, very well stocked kitchenware. We stayed in C202 and we saw nothing but cleanliness and comfort. I am a picky NON smoker and I had NO issues with our rental. I assure you if I did, I would have complained and would give a justified review. The condo had a pleasant view of trees and a small balcony to enjoy coffee, and there is a small stream on the property you can hardly see from our rental, but there is a walking path that goes between the buildings. The general area is VERY built-up with several different condo buildings. Three large flat screen tvs with several cable channels were there. Our stay was clean, comfortable, and convenient for our summer trip to Breckenridge. The only small complaints I had were two things: one, the king sized bed in the master was so soft that it was not comfortable for me but I like a really hard mattress; second, there was no hair dryer in the condo so we had to go purchase one, and that was not convenient. Otherwise I'd stay there again.

Room Tip: Not all condos are created equal, so this specific one is the only one to which I can review. It wa...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank PickyNONsmokingMom
Woodland Park, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Read several glowy reviews of Powderhorn and decided to give it a try for a two-night, three-day business trip to Breck. I do not want to disparage my fellow reviewers but... 4 stars? Really? It may be that folks who like this place do not frequently stay in hotels and had rather low expectations, or think that a condo stay SHOULD be like camping in a cabin.
At any rate, the Powderhorn isn't a hotel; it's a group of rental properties enclosed in an aged, crumbling apartment building with absurd parking, ridiculous access to the "rooms," and no guest service desk on site. That's right, you need to check in at the rental office in downtown Breck. So you have to find parking on Main street to get your key. And check out. No leaving keys in the rooms!
The rooms are all "nonsmoking," but they've certainly been smoked in. There have been updates to furnishings and fixtures here and there but the old smoke smell is persistent. Folks with children or allergies/asthma will be particularly displeased.
Throughout my stay, I found that: the garage door sensor was broken, necessitating getting out of my car to open the door & enter/exit the property; there was no Ethernet cable in my rental (discovered at 10 pm when I was already in bed); there was no secure WiFi; the landline phone did not work (at 10 pm, trying to call guest services); and there was no hair dryer (discovered at 6 am, out of shower getting ready to go).
It's not the lack of amenities, inconvenient access or less-than-modern decor that gets Powderhorn 2 stars from me; it's how the property owners obviously disregard their guests' comfort and basic requirements for a pleasant stay. The message "We Don't Care" comes through loud and clear at every point of interaction (or non-interaction, essentially) with the staff.
You can do MUCH better.

Room Tip: Since these are rental properties, I think the quality of the rooms will vary depending on how the o...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank worldtraveleramym
Erie, CO
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

This is not a knock against the owners of the Powderhorn Condominiums or any specific unit. I desperately tried to stay there for a weekend in June 2012 with my family. Unusual situations prevented us from attending and Great Western Lodging was less than accomodating. I booked the condo with Great Western Lodging.....a huge mistake.

First, I received a confirmation after payment stating that I had to pay yet an additional "cleaning fee." There was no notice of this fee as I made the reservation online and paid with a credit card. When contacting Sondra at Great Western, she merely pushed it off as Breckenridge Central Reservation's problem and would do nothing for me. I couldn't even cancel the reservation. Keep in mind that other units on the gobrecknow.com website include their cleaning fees at checkout in the fees/taxes section....not Great Western. So, before I even entered the door, I'm forced to pay an addional 35% over what I thought was my final price.

Next....and this is simply pure greed, in my opinion. My family and I live in metro Denver, about an hour and a half from Breck. We visit Breck often. We booked the condo on Monday for that coming weekend. Unfortunately, my father in law had a tragic accident on Wednesday night falling down a flight of stairs. Again, I contacted Sondra at Great Western to explain our horrific situation....there was absolutely no way that my family would be able to make it to Breckenridge that weekend. I didn't even ask to cancel the reservation...I merely asked for some help regarding our situation. I explained that I was willing to wait for a last minute availability, checking on a Thursday to see if the same unit was available for Friday and Saturday. Heck, I was willing to wait until September when there is little or no demand. Anything! My pleas fell upon deaf ears as I was simply asked: "were you offered travel insurance when you booked the condo?" I understand that they are trying to run a business, but this is absolutely ridiculous. I can see paying an additional 10% premium to insure travel several months out if I was coming in from out of state. Long story short, regardless of our unfortunate situation, I was told that there was nothing they could do for me because I didn't purchase travel insurance....even if the death of my father in law prevented my family from going up to Breckenridge that weekend.

Wow....I'm still floored. I basically made a $300 donation to Great Western Lodging. And yes, they are right in rejecting my pleas to work something out....I did not pay additonal for the travel insurance. Rack this one up as a learning experience.....greed overcomes good business. At least I saved $100 since I didn't have to pay the additional "cleaning fee!"

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
4 Thank jbschube
New Orleans
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

We stayed in this condo during Feb 2012 for 4 nights with another couple. Lots of space and two nice size bedrooms with private bathrooms. It also had a half bathroom next to the living room. It was supplied with a couple of things in the kitchen including coffee filters, dish washing liquid, dishwasher soap and extra garbage bags which was helpful. It is a short walk to the Peak 9 Quicksilver lift. The hottub is right across the street so pretty close and there were several hottubs. I would suggest staying here and would stay again. I would also try another condo in the A building since it is just alittle bit closer to the lifts and Main street. Everything is in walking distance to this condo so no need for a car. We really enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Make sure to check out pictures as each condo is privately owned. This one is on the corner.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank NewOrleansMmik
Fort Worth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2011

Great location, just a short walk to lifts. Condo was a little dated but not too bad. We visited the first week of January and got a great deal, half the cost of other ski in/ski out condos in the area (in which you usually end up walking a little way to lift anyway!) I would stay here again. Only real complaint was that website listed a "shared" clubhouse with pool and hot tub, we never found it. Apparently it is across the street and down a block, not exactly going to walk a block in my bathing suit soaking wet in 10 degree weather! TIP: Rent your skis at Breckenridge Sports at the base and you can store them there overnight, no walking in ski boots carrying skis and pole!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple