“Breck”

Ranked #2 of 6 Breckenridge B&B and Inns
Newport Beach, California
“Breck”
Reviewed November 30, 2008

We spent a week at the Fireside Inn with 4 other friends in December and it was an awesome experience. The owners are a super friendly English couple that made the stay even better. They serve tea and cake for free at 5 PM every afternoon. They recommended us restaurants to go to in the city and even gave us a good deal on our lift tickets.

Don't listen to the bad reviewers because those guys are probably the same people that are bitching and whining at every hotel or hostel they stay at and always looking for something to criticize.

I still can't think of anything negative about the Fireside Inn, that's how great our experience was. We met people from all over the country and there is a fridge and dining room where you can make/cook your own food if you don't want to go out.

We'll definitely be coming back in the future.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Mammoth Lakes, California
Reviewed November 17, 2008

We stayed at Fireside for two nights last fall and overall we really enjoyed it. We arrived late without reservations and were lucky enough to get the Brandywine Suite at a very reasonable rate; it is VERY large for two people and would be very comfortable for four. The bathroom is fantastic -- wonderful English soap and (count them) SIX showerheads! The room could not have been better!

The breakfast was, as our friend from the UK would say, "typically English", meaning not very good at all. Everything was undercooked. And I wonder if the parking situation would have been pretty messy in the winter.

However, we found the owners to be very pleasant and willing to chat about the area and their experiences as innkeepers. And I loved their cuddly poodles! Overall I suggest that if you are traveling to Breckenridge, simply stop by the local bagel shop for some morning treats, and then head right in to the Fireside for a good night's rest.

• Liked — Bathroom, hot tub & poodles!
  • Disliked — Breakfast
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed November 19, 2007

I stayed at the Fireside Inn last January (2007) and had a great stay. I had contacted them directly and it was exactly as it was described to me.

Nikki and Andy were vey friendly hosts. They organised all my transfers and ski lifts too so I could get straight onto the slopes in the morning. Breakfast was great and good value.

Yes the dorms are small and impersonal at times but what do you expect at under $40 a night in one of the top ski resorts, 150 yds from a lift station!

• Liked — Location and Price
  • Disliked — Room size
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank HappySkierUK
Golden, CO
Reviewed September 17, 2007

Did not spend much time at the property but it was a convenient place to spend the night and the bunkbeds were small but comfortable.

As some of the other reviewers have mentioned, the property is both a bed & breakfast and a hostel. When I booked my room, I wish I would've known I was booking a hostel room (then again, I booked the last available room, so beggars can be choosers). It was mid-September, so the temperature in the room was fine; however the room was small, at least when compared to a typical bed and breakfast room.

I found the owners be pleasant, polite and friendly, not overbearing.

The only complaint I had with my one night there was that when I checked in I was told by Andy that breakfast was included but when I checked out I was charged $8 by Nicki for a small but good breakfast.

• Liked — location
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank AJGolden
Midwest
Reviewed March 31, 2007

Nikki and Andy (the owners) are artificially friendly to the dormitory guests, and genuinely friendly to the others in the more expensive rooms. Although I had a good stay, I can't say I ever felt welcome. You can tell that Nikki and Andy wish they had different jobs, and they are always trying to nickel and dime you. Don't plan on sleeping comfortably if you are over 6 feet tall, and note that everything there costs money. The breakfast was a ripoff (not worth $8), the hot tub is only for use from 4 to 8 everyday, and they charge $12/hour for internet use. The rooms are freezing at night. None of this is indicated on their website. I am an extremely friendly person, but at one point Nikki yelled at me with "Why can't you shower? Because I said so and that's the rule" because I asked her if I could take a shower on my last day of skiing (I checked out that morning). She then told me I could take a cab to the Breck rec center, pay to get in, and then shower there if it meant so much to me. If you have friends, get a cheap hotel and avoid feeling like the equivalent of a piece of trash, but if you want a cheap place to sleep, Fireside is it.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Not feeling welcome
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled solo
8 Thank bennyboyboy314
london
Reviewed July 31, 2006

This B&B is a gem in Breckenridge. The owners are great. The property is well kept and has nice outdoor seating. Perfect location being one street up from the main street but you have all the privacy you need.
Thanks,
Jessie
London, England

2 Thank newhampshirewannabe
Raleigh, Nc
Reviewed July 7, 2006

I had a great stay in a hostel room at the Fireside Inn in early June while passing through Breckenridge. I've stayed in several hostels in the US and this is one of the nicest. The owners (Andy and Niki) were so friendly and accommodating from the time I called to ask about availability until I checked out. Its clear that they love what they do.

There are four beds in each hostel rooms. Each bed has a reading light and a privacy curtain, a large private locker (bring your own lock). There are two spotless private baths for hostel guests. The owners have set up a great little kitchen area for hostelers that includes a microwave, refrigerator, dishes and silverware and a few basic cooking supplies. The common area/lounge was very comfortable and they had a good selection of restaurant menus and information about things to do in the area.

The Fireside Inn is located just a couple of blocks from the main street and within walking distance of almost everything in Breckenridge. Parking is provided across the street in a church parking lot.

The Fireside Inn was such a nice place and the area around Breckenridge so beautiful, I wish I could have stayed in the area and explored for a few days.

Dale Suiter, Raleigh NC