We spent ten days in Colorado recently, seven of which we spent at Grand Timber Lodge, two at Vail Marriott and one at Steamboat Springs. Grand Timber Lodge, to say the least is in an excellent location.
PROS: If you are a skier, it is one of the perfect places to stay in Breckenridge for ski in/ski out. The check in was very good. Easy. The rooms were ready on time, etc. The staff is mostly younger people with a few middle aged persons sprinkled in but in general very friendly and helpful. We were only approached by timeshare business at sign in and never again which was nice. The grounds, at least the winter grounds, are very nice and everything is either plowed or kept clean by heated sidewalks and heated drives. The heated garages were excellent for after ski to get your gear off. They had nice sized, free (if you were lucky enough to get one) lockers for your gear as well, unfortunately there are nowhere near enough of them based on the number of units they have. In room bathrooms clean and nice. Public ones, eh. The town is near enough that you could walk if it wasn't too cold. There is a complimentary shuttle that will take you to all the local stops. There is also the Summit Stage that will take you to several other mountains as well. We rented a car as we like to move around and explore on our own but with Colorado Mountain Express that will take you to and from Denver for a fee, Summit Stage to get you to the other mountains and the GTL shuttle to get you around town you really don't need a car at all.
CONS:The rooms are quite tired or at least the two units we had were. The mattresses were old and had huge dips in them. The sofas were lumpy, oldish and the linens and pillows were very worn and thin. Towels in baths were clean and seemed newer.
THE DOWNSIDE: The only on site restaurant really was more of a bar and seemed to be a local hang out for 21-30ish year old's who were there to visit with their friends who were (on the clock) employees. We were there with similarly aged kids and they were actually really embarrassed by the drunken behaviors of the bar crowd. When we arrived one of the nights, they had obviously been there a while and it was still early, about 7:30-8pm. We had dinner. Our waiter was very preoccupied with his friends, which didn't really bother us too much, he was helpful and somewhat attentive, although we did have to ask him several times for utensils to eat with once we were served! Whatever, we were on vacation. When we left there was a trail of (albeit still packaged) condoms that lead out of the bar and down the hall. One of the guys was vomiting in the (carpeted) hallway, lots of kids coming and going in various states of inebriation and another had a ridiculously disgusting mouth. There were other families with small children there which was upsetting. Just not necessary. The management should be more present in and around if this is a family establishment.
Jeeezzz.....It was too bad. It is a pretty place and a great location with a lot of good going for it. Maybe GTL is not going for the family thing there? Maybe we missed something? If so, my fault.
This aside, all in all, we did enjoy the Grand Timber Lodge in every other aspect.
I would recommend GTL to others, I'd just stay out of the 'bar area' !!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Grand Timber Lodge is a luxury ski-in/out condominium resort offering the largest amenities package in Breckenridge. Our exquisitely appointed luxury condominiums are conveniently located between Peaks 8 and 9 at the world famous Breckenridge Ski Resort. You will also enjoy our close proximity to Breckenridge’s Main Street, indoor/outdoor swimming pools and hot tubs, a fitness center, complimentary shuttle bus, pampering spa and salon services, an on-site ski/bike concierge, a bar and restaurant and much more. At Grand Timber Lodge, you’ll find everything you need for a great vacation: A lovely and private wooded setting, excellent amenities, all of the comforts and convenience of home, and a staff eager to make your vacation simply perfect! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity and Orbitz so you can book your Grand Timber Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Timber Hotel Breckenridge
- Grand Timber Breckenridge
- Grand Timber Lodge Breckenridge Colorado