“Not Great but OK”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Denver, Colorado
“Not Great but OK”
Reviewed December 11, 2008

We stayed at Grand Timber Lodger for very low early season price this November. The studio is tiny with efficient kitchen (the kind without much of a kitchen). Location wise, it could be ski-in but probably not ski-out. It is a bit uphill from the main road so it is somewhat inconvenient for taking the town bus. The lodge provide free shuttle to the gondola and other parts of the town, but it is not as reliable. The hot tub and pool are nice, the restaurant is reasonably priced, the business center has crappy internet connection.

• Liked — The hot tub
  • Disliked — tiny room
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank v1v1en
CustomerServiceDept, Customer Service at Grand Timber Lodge, responded to this review, January 7, 2009
The studio units at Grand Timber Lodge are the size of a standard hotel room, and include a kitchenette. We do have larger suites available as well, ranging from one bedrooms to three bedrooms, with full kitchens and living areas. We also have wireless internet available in the rooms by the day or for the whole week, for a fee.

There is a free bus stop right down the street from Grand Timber Lodge, which is run by Breckenridge and goes into town. The Grand Timber Lodge shuttle is run by the lodge for owners and guests only. Owners and guests can call the GTL shuttle directly to be picked up or dropped off anywhere in town.

-Grand Timber Lodge Customer Service

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
Thornton, Colorado
Reviewed November 23, 2008

My spouse and I stayed at Grand Timber Lodge in September 2008 and we had a wonderful time. The weather was great and the nights were crisp enough to wear a jacket. We had a really nice experience at Grand Timber Lodge and do not understand what the other people are complaining about. They must me people who find fault in everything and can not find happiness. I do find that checking in an hour earlier or later then the time they state “check in” is seems to help anywhere we go.

The rooms are cozy and are well decorated. The units have a full kitchen with all the modern necessities including a washer and dryer (complementary laundry soap is given too). The granite counter tops add a nice touch too. They have a large Jacuzzi for two (maybe three) and we were lucky to get a shower with two “shower heads” nice for couples if you know what I mean. The beds are as comfortable as expected, but nothing beats home. The main room has a couch that is also a sleeper, great for families. The fireplace is gas operated, no wood, but it was still nice and gave a nice effect to the room. All the master rooms have balconies with chairs, but the studios do not have a balcony.

If you want to grill out side, they have BB-Q grills through out the resort and they are close to tables and chairs. When we were there the hot tubs were just fine and a little romantic at night. The pool was heated. They also have a full bathroom with showers and amenities like q-tips, cotton balls, mouth wash, sunscreen, and lotion. The women’s bathrooms have “other” items as well.

If you want to shoot pool, there are two places you can go. There is the main lobby for earlier hours and then there is the Bar and Grill that has a pool table. The bar and grill has good food and a nice happy hour. I do have to note that the bar and grill is only open certain days due to the off seasons. Right off to the bar is a bathrooms (not locked) that has all the amenities I mentioned earlier. They also have a small store to buy candy bars, soap, shavers, etc. It’s not a grocery store but it is handy to have available on site.

When you arrive you can park your car in the garage and just keep it there unless you plan to do some site seeing. Grand Timber offers a FREE shuttle to anywhere you want to go in Breckinridge. All you have to do is call the phone number on your “key” (card) and they will pick you up or bring you back any time you want up to 10:00pm. The shuttle is not as bad as people complain it to be and I think it is really handy to have considering it is a free service (tips are appreciated).

The town does offer a free shuttle bus that will pick you up and drop you off at designated point and you do have to go by their schedule.

You can also walk into town which is probably a little more than a mile from the resort – not far and it is all down him. Hint: Call the Grand Timber Shuttle when you are ready to go back home.

Places to eat are open. Depending on what you are looking for they have cheap to the expensive. I prefer to go to Eric’s – this place has pizza, hamburgers, sandwiches, soups, etc and a ton of beers to choose from.
Site seeing: Other than skiing, there is plenty other activities to do in Breckinridge. You can go hiking, water rafting, ride bikes (a lot of bike paths), and go see the gold mine. Not far out of Breckenridge is also a town called Fairfield or known as “South Park.” Fairfield has a really old ghost town that they have restored.

I hope this is helpfully.

• Liked — The rooms are very nice and I love the jacuzzi
  • Disliked — No balconies come with the studios
1 Thank jdstafford
CustomerServiceDept, Customer Service at Grand Timber Lodge, responded to this review, March 11, 2009
At Grand Timber Lodge, we make every effort to create a "home away from home" environment for our owners and guests. Exploring the resort and trying out all that we have to offer will help our guests get the most out of their vacation!

San Francisco, California
Reviewed October 23, 2008

Booked with exchange through Interval International

We just returned from a stay at the Grand Timber Lodge in, Colorado. WARNING: Unless you are an owner at GTL, have connections or have really good luck, avoid this place. GTL is way over rated; I wish we would have read these reviews prior to booking. We exchanged our five star Marriott Timeshare and come to Colorado for the first time. Breckenridge is beautiful, however, the resort is not a five star and the staff was unhelpful and indifferent to any requests or concerns.

Our experience: We requested a two bedroom and received a dark dingy outdated room with no view. The carpet was so dirty and stiff we had to at least wear socks to keep from being creeped out. Despite the fact the resort didn’t appear full, staff said this was the best room they could provide. I asked for a manager and spoke with “Kelly” who was totally indifferent and told me rooms are assigned in the morning by housekeeping and there was nothing she could do…Really? So now we were stuck in this nasty room for our week long vacation.

Ok, let’s make the best of it…let’s go to the spa near building one, YUCK!! The spa was a cloudy yellow and had a strong chemical smell, no thanks. Ok, lets play pool in the grand room which is open until 11:00 p.m. At 10:00 p.m. staff locked the door leading to the restrooms. When I went the front counter and asked to use the restroom, the young man directed me to building 6 and only agreed to open the door to the restrooms when I expressed how unreasonable that was. Even then, he still acted like he was annoyed and let me know how put out he was…Really??

We took the resort shuttle to town once, that was enough. If you use this service, be careful. Their shuttle is an old rickety van and the entry step is broken and bent downward. Our friend slipped on the step and gaffed her ankle. Use the free public transportation; it is clean, easy to use and much safer.

We loved Breckenridge itself however, we travel extensively and this was by far the worst accommodation and staff experience we have ever had. This was a horrible timeshare exchange and made for a disappointing vacation.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Staff and view provided
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank 01LoveToTravel
Because Grand Timber Lodge is located on a mountain, not every unit will have the same views and natural light. Guests may request a certain type of unit upon booking, and we do our best to accommodate such requests. All of our units are updated and cleaned for two weeks each year, and problems such as worn out furnishings and damages are addressed in detail at that time.

We are sorry if any guest has felt our staff to be indifferent or uncaring - we train our staff extensively, and our commitment is to always create great vacations, for owners and guests alike.

Colordao Springs, CO.
Reviewed October 21, 2008

When we previewed the Grand Timber Lodge 5 years ago it was AMAZING! They have not kept it up at all. Our room had dozens of issues with it. (Too many to list them all!) If you can get a good deal the rooms are spacious and the beds are comfortable, but don't expect 5 star quality. It is in a great location and their shuttle into town is convenient, but overall I expected more for the 5 star rating.

• Liked — Extra Large Bath Sheets/Comfortable Beds/ Great Shuttle to Town
  • Disliked — Dirty Carpets, Walls, and Furniture/Holes in Walls/Broken Furniture and Kitchen Appliences
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Some units at Grand Timber Lodge do experience more wear and tear than others during the year, but the units are updated and cleaned for two weeks each year. We also have a maintenance staff on property that will come to fix problems that may arise during any guest's stay.

PA
Reviewed September 27, 2008

Traded my lock off unit at Royal Resorts in Cancun for a 2 Bedroom unit at Grand Timber Lodge via Interval International.

When we arrived our unit was ready. I had previously read the comments about buildings 1-5 so I was pleased when we were provided unit 832. Top floor with a great view of the mountain.

The unit was spacious and in good condition. We drove into town (5 minutes away) to get groceries at the City Market for the week. It was also nice that there was a washer and dryer in the unit.

We did several hikes. Right at the property there were several trails which were nice. We also did the McCullough Gulch hike which was about 15 minutes from the resort. It was a great hike with lots of great views. Took about 3.5 hours round trip.

We also hiked Mohawk Lake from the lower trail. Next time we will drive to the upper parking lot. The lower part of the trail is all through the forest and not much to see. By the time we reached the upper section of the hike we were pretty tired. We made it past the lower lake but were running out of snacks and water so we decided not to hike any further up to the upper lakes. Round trip took about 5 hours. Lots of great views from the upper section of the trail. It was a very challenging hike and we had to stop alot to catch our breath.

We also went to South Park for a hot air balloon ride which was wonderful as was dinner at Twin Owls Steakhouse.

We did take the timeshare tour of their new property. Presentation was only 30 minutes since we told the rep we were not interested in buying. We got $100 dollars to spend at the spa for our time.

We had a great vacation. The only thing I didn't like that I'm used to at the Royal Resorts was a daily made service. Instead they come in once a week only to swap out your towels. It was a great place to stay but I think we are spoiled at the Royal Resorts in Cancun in comparison. I would recommend staying here and will definately come back again in September since its quiter and the beautiful fall colors are out.

1 Thank jenlscott
CustomerServiceDept, Customer Service at Grand Timber Lodge, responded to this review, February 25, 2009
At Grand Timber Lodge we are thrilled to know when an exchange guest has had a great vacation! We know that guests have a wide array of choices and Interval International offers many great resorts, and are proud to be a part of it.

WhereInTheWorldToGo
Reviewed September 24, 2008

We recently stayed at the Grand Timber Lodge; when I booked several months ago I booked a two BEDROOM unit, which also had a living area that had a pullout couch - so three rooms right?!?!

We arrive, wait in a long line because they are obviously understaffed........then get shuffled to another counter to try and get us to buy a condo/watch a advertisement/whatever - I left in the middle of it. We get to the room and its not two bedrooms and a living area its one bedroom and then a tiny room with a queen bed, couch and kitchenette all in it. I called the front desk and she said come back down and we will get it sorted. So we head all the way back down to the front desk - wait AGAIN - even though they SHOULD remember I was just there 30 seconds ago. ONLY to be told.........."in the industry we know that two bedroom doesnt always mean two bedrooms - a bed can be in the living room".........I said EXCUSE ME, I am not "in the industry"; I am on VACATION and you didnt give me what I booked. More arguing..........got me NOWHERE and we were forced to stay there because it was already late in the day and I didnt want to ruin our one night there.

OH AND there is NO AIR CONDITIONING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have to sleep with the windows open b/c they would only allow the heater to run........and I woke up horribly sick from that.

Also DISGUSTING cleaning job - fingernails on the floor, skin in the tub and some white goop (who knows waht that was) on the sink. GROSS!!!!!!!!!!!

DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Disliked — THE STAFF!
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
3 Thank WhereInTheWorldToGo
CustomerServiceDept, Customer Service at Grand Timber Lodge, responded to this review, January 13, 2009
Grand Timber Lodge has some two bedroom units that may be smaller than others, as variations between buildings and as part of a larger three bedroom unit. There are fewer of these smaller units as compared to the standard two bedrooms.

Grand Timber does not have air conditioning in the units; because we are located in the mountains, the summer temperatures do not get high enough to require it. Each unit does have its own thermostat, and guests can control the temperature that way if they choose.

We train our staff extensively, and we apologize if any of our owners or guests feel they have been treated with indifference. Our family commitment is to always create great vacations.

California
Reviewed September 23, 2008

We are extremely disappointed with the accommodations provided at the Grand Timber Lodge in Colorado and very embarrassed because we specifically brought friends who were interested in purchasing a timeshare until they witnessed this experience.

We are owners at the Marriott Timber Lodge in So. Lake Tahoe, Nevada (not associated with Grand Timer Lodge, Co.) In April 2008 we made an Interval International reservation / exchange to visit Breckenridge Grand Timber Lodge in Colorado. We were assigned a two bedroom suite, #314. To our surprise, the view outside our suite was a stone wall and the side of a building approximately 30 feet away. Even stepping out onto a patio which is below ground level, there is absolutely no view or exposure to direct sunshine. Because the suite receives no direct sunlight we have to turn on lights even during the day to eliminate the gloomy lighting.

I requested a different suite and was assisted by Kelley Jensen. She was familiar with our suite and specifically said it was a poor location. She initially gave us a new suite with a view and sunshine however, as we began moving luggage into the room she called and said we couldn’t have the suite because other people checking in now. When I asked who I could talk with to complain about the accommodations she said “Me,” indicating she had the final say.

We couldn’t be more disappointed to have come to this beautiful vacation spot and be placed in a gloomy room with no sunshine or a view. It wasn’t even possible to enjoy the suite during the day as we had intended under these conditions. Likewise, the embarrassment that we brought guests here who took their vacation time off expecting a wonderful vacation and being disappointed. Needless to say, after this experience, none of us are interested in purchasing any timeshare associated with Grand Timber Lodge. While we are very likely to return to Breckenridge in the future we certainly will not be coming to the Grand Timber Lodge.

2 Thank Travel10346
Because Grand Timber Lodge is located in a mountain environment, not every building will have the same views. Due to natural objects such as trees or mountainside, some units get different views or less light than others. Guests may always request units upon reservation; however a particular room may not necessarily be guaranteed.