“Wonderful”

Grand Timber Lodge
Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Breckenridge
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 9, 2014

The staff at Grand Timber Lodge is very friendly and very helpful. They answered all my questions in a very cordial manner. They have shuttles that take you to the grocery store and Breckenridge Ski Resort, so you don't really need a car to this location. I would take a shuttle like Colorado Mountain Express from Denver rather than renting a car. There is also nordic skiing and snow shoeing at Breckenridge Nordic Center. The accomodations were A+. There are two pools, hot tubs, sauna, and work out area.

Room Tip: Know the number of people sharing a room. You can pull out the sofa for an extra bed.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Rick T, Manager at Grand Timber Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your most recent experience with us. We value your feedback and are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our goal is for you and your family to have a great vacation with us and we are happy to hear that you enjoyed your time at Grand Timber Lodge. We hope that you will be our guest again in the future!

Reviewed March 2, 2014

Our family has been staying here for twelve plus years for our ski vacation week (family member is an owner) and it's always been a pleasant stay. Our units were recently updated and the common areas are still well maintained. Staff have always been pleasant and helpful. The kids love the swimming pools, pool table, ect. There is a Christy sports on site which is very convenient for those that need rentals. Although we were here during a peak vacation week , it never seemed too crowded.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Rick T, Manager at Grand Timber Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2014

We greatly appreciate you taking the time to share you experience through your review of the Grand Timber Lodge. As a guest of 12 years, we are very pleased to hear that you continue to enjoy the resort and that our work to maintain the resort has been noticed by you over the years. We look forward to making your next visit a great vacation!

Reviewed February 23, 2014

This property is perfect if you love to ski in/ski out! We loved being right in the middle of two lifts (Snowflake and Beaver Run) both were super easy to get to.Christy's Sports is right there on property so renting your equipment is super convenient. Our one bedroom condo was HUGE and had everything we needed to make our week of skiing wonderful. We especially loved hanging out in one of many hot tubs on property after a long day on the slope soaking tired muscles in these awesome hot tubs was fabulous. The happy hour at Lodgepole Bar & Grill is great too.They would bring the drinks right out to you at the hot tub. Great service was found everywhere. We are ready to book for next year!

Room Tip: We stayed in BLD 3 and it was nice but I believe Bld 5 & 6 are better as they are located in the...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Rick T, Manager at Grand Timber Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Grand Timber Lodge with us. We are extremely happy to hear of the great vacation you enjoyed while visiting Breckenridge this winter. Our goal is to make our guests' and owners' vacation experience a memorable one. We look forward to being able to help you enjoy more great vacations at Grand Timber Lodge in the future!

Reviewed February 19, 2014

My husband bought me a timeshare here for me on my birthday some years ago. I think about 10. We were told that the rooms would be up dated ever 5 years. That has yet to be seen. The rooms and many parts of the resort really do need improvement. It is not a luxury resort any longer.
The stones around the hot tubs have been in disrepair every time we come up for the passed few years. I wish the management did care a lot more about the appearance of this place. The pillows really need to be replaced. They have a very used smell to them. Update!!!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Susan S

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Grand Timber Lodge. We apologize that you were disappointed in the ongoing maintenance of the property. Please be assured that the management at Grand Timber is very committed to ensuring that the property is maintaining its value. Over the past year, Grand Timber has made significant upgrades to many of the units and completely remodeled and upgraded the fitness center. This year, our update projects include completely redoing the outdoor pools and surrounding rock walls and decking as well as adding a children's water play feature. We look forward to sharing these ongoing improvements with you the next time you visit!

Reviewed February 14, 2014

I have never felt so duped as I have been by the management and staff of Grand Timber Lodge. I decided to stay here after seeing the many positive reviews on tripadvisor. DON'T believe them. My trip started by being talked up to a 1 bedroom from a studio by the salesperson on the phone, she then talked me into trip insurance. Below is the outcome I got for spending an extra 150.00 for trip insurance and also another 500 plus to go up to a 1 bedroom and being promised a much better experience.
First off the room I was promised by the salesperson was a nice quiet room with a view of the mountains...what GTL gave me was a room above the parking garage that also faced the arrival foyer of the resort. I couldn't sleep a single night due to the garage,door below me opening and closing non stop, in fact the door was so loud it vibrated my bed each time it opened!!!! To make matters worse every arrival of a new car shone it lights into my room along with the nice slamming of the car door to keep any chance of sleep away. Moreover I contracted a NOROvirus while staying at GTL and had 2 days of non stop vomiting. What did the staff do to help? NOTHING. To add injury to insult after purchasing trip insurance and my company telling me I had to move my week GTL REFUSED to honor the insurance or HELP me move my week!!!! If anyone here is reading this and decides to stay at this bait and switch timeshare sales swindling operation you need to think twice. DON'T STAY HERE, Breckenridge has way too many nicer legitimate places to stay. Oh and before the staff puts down below, oh we're sorry and we try to do our best, don't believe it. I called over and over again to ask for help and they did NOTHING!! DON'T STAY HERE!

Stayed: February 2014
10  Thank DanaT1283
Mark G, Manager at Grand Timber Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

The staff and management at Grand Timber Lodge would like to sincerely apologize for your recent vacation experience. Grand Timber Lodge takes pride in providing excellent customer service to all of our owners and guests. We apologize that you were disappointed in your room and thought that you were renting a larger room. Our one bedroom condominiums are much larger than the studio that you reserved, and they do provide more space, as well as a full kitchen. We are also sorry to hear that you were unhappy with the location of your room. As soon as our staff was made aware of the noise issue that was caused by the garage door, they immediately locked the door in the open position to eliminate any further disturbance. We hope that this quick action by staff reflects our desire and willingness to do whatever we can for our owners and guests.

We are so very sorry that you became ill while on vacation. Please note that to date, we have received no other reports of suspected norovirus from other guests. In addition, our staff did deliver complimentary Gatorade to you room as soon as we learned you weren’t feeling well. Our Housekeeping staff was also more than happy to clean your room twice during your visit, also free of charge, as a result of your illness. Our Guest Services Manager also reached out to you prior to your departure to offer further assistance. All of us at Grand Timber Lodge sincerely hope that you are feeling better!

In regards to the travel insurance you purchased through a separate company, we are sorry to hear that the insurance company did not accept your claim, based on the terms of their coverage.

Please know that the staff at Grand Timber Lodge is committed to striving to deliver relaxing and enjoyable vacations at our resort. We value our relationships with our owners and guests and truly apologize that you had a disappointing vacation experience while staying at Grand Timber Lodge.

Reviewed February 6, 2014

From the moment I arrived (very late, massive snow storm, who knew?) to the moment I left (sadly), everyone I interacted with at Grand Timber Lodge was exceptional. The lovely & friendly night auditor checked me in and I easily found my room. Even though Breckenridge was covered in two-plus feet of snow, the resort was "snow free" due to the heated driveways and sidewalks. So nice after a long drive and makes a huge difference for a quality experience.
Got to my very comfortable room and slept well. Nice bed, super clean, plenty of towels and nice, earthy toiletries in the morning for my hot shower. My room overlooked the pool and hot tubs, all steamy and inviting for apres ski or to let the kids blow off some steam. Indoor pools and spas: outdoor pools and spas, plenty of choices and spacious water features. Kids Paradise = Happy Family.
Although I happened to be traveling alone, I would not hesitate to bring my family here for a weekend or a week. I love the appointment vacation concept, it becomes a tradition when you get together every year at the same time. A week next winter? Yup, it's in my plan already! Summer excursion, yes and I can't wait to see the mountains all greened-up!
So what else? Great shuttle drivers who take you wherever you want to go, at pretty much any time. Even if you don't know where you're going, they do. And they will get you there. I put their number in my phone and I was set. Call my driver, get home with my bags and all in good humor, even though 3 feet of snow could be a challenge, these guys took it in stride.
Rentals: best place, easy way? At Christy's right on property. They fitted me, helped me make the right choice and were so friendly and accommodating. So then you can walk or ski to the lift a few hundred feet away. Most ski over, I walked since I hadn't skied in 10 (what?) years. But new snow, a great teacher/coach and good equipment served up a great ski day for me. Can't wait to do some spring skiing and I bet the snow will be hanging in there!
Oh, don't forget the kids program when you visit! They have various cool event stuff where your kids will be able to make and create their own tie-dyed T-shirts. I met a few happy kids who enjoyed the project and had a cool memory gift to show off at school. Just stop at the concierge desk, they can set you up and really make your kids feel special. Extra benefit, kids rule. Isn't that what family vacations are all about, making your kids know that the time together is the best time? And adults get fun stuff, too. Beer tastings and relaxing ways to meet other skiers and travelers, it's an easy-effort atmosphere that you can recharge and renew in.
So everyone was nice and helpful, the location was superb, the rooms were comfy and CLEAN! That's what I want. Caring staff and great location. I enjoyed the town and the skiing and I'm going back. Thanks, GTL!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank Shaggy53
Chris T, Communications Coordinator at Grand Timber Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2014

Hi Shaggy53,

Thank you for taking the time to share your most recent experience at Grand Timber Lodge. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed all of the amenities our property has to offer.

The staff at Grand Timber loves hearing from guests who have truly enjoyed their stay! Our company passion statement is “Always great vacations!” and we are glad to have exceeded this expectation. We pride ourselves on upholding the highest standard for everything from the customer service we provide, to the property itself and couldn't be happier our efforts have not gone unnoticed.

We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to the mountains!

Reviewed February 3, 2014

We checked in at GTL on Wednesday 1/29 and checked out Sunday 2/2. Easy to find from Denver (we stopped in Frisco to rent skis, which was on the way - Pioneer Sports, great place). We arrived about 3:15 pm but check in isn't until 4 pm, so we went into Breck and did our grocery shopping. They called about 30 mins later and our room was ready.

We had rented an SUV so they gave us a parking pass (underground, heated) and we parked then used a couple carts to haul everything to our room. We booked a one-bedroom master condo. They put us in building 5 (room 5208, I think). We stepped into the condo and couldn't believe our eyes! Gorgeous view of the mountains and hot tub/pools below us. The pictures on GTL website's are outddated - the condo was modern with full granite kitchen, dual shower heads, gas fireplace, flat screen TV with DVD player, awesome deck, very spacious. The bed was a bit hard which was rough on nights 1 and 2 (elevation sickness probably aggravated that, too), but by the third night we were so exhausted from skiing that we slept like dogs on the 3rd and 4th nights.

Tip for skiers - map out the best ski in/out trail when you get to your building. Building 5 is RIGHT next to one of the two trails, but we didn't realize this until the second day. The first day, we took the east trail and it was so much walking in our boots! Had we been on the other side of the resort, we would have been right next to the other trail. Also, be forewarned that both trails require a bit of pushing/trekking here and there. Also, if you've never been on skis or are a beginner, you may not want to use the ski out trails until your second day.... on the first day, I hadn't been in skis for 9 years, and we came across a decent sized hill that I ended up walking down because no way could I ski down that! Kind of embarassing :)

Staff @ GTL were great - front desk and conceirge were so awesome and helpful. Made us dinner reservations one evening and they also gave us a coupon for some free ribs at Steak & Rib downtown.

We also booked a couples massage for 55 minutes. Massage was good, but not the best I've had. They had us walk to another building for the massage (not building 6 where the spa is) which was odd.

Each night, we had beers in the outdoor hot tubs. There were two on our side of the resort. The hot tubs were never too full - anywhere from 0 to 6 other people in each large hot tub. Indoor/outdoor pool was also great.

There's a bar just steps away from the hot tub that plays music and serves drinks. We always brought our own beer though, since there's a full kitchen in your room.

Maid service - bed was made each day, and some (but not all) towels replaced. Also someone ran the dishwasher one day while we were out - very much appreciated.

Room was a bit warm at times...we just cracked the window if needed. Also used one of the two humidifiers they provided.

Laundry and dish detergent provided as well as soap, shampoo, etc. We forgot to buy coffee filters and front desk provided them. I have a feeling they would have provided us anything we asked for.

Ski in each day - don't rely on public or shuttle transport - we did this the last day (big mistake) and ended up taking a shuttle that took about 90 minutes to get us 1 mile home. Since you need to be around peaks 8/9 to ski home, make sure you're not hanging out on peak 6 at 3:45 when the lifts are about to close. Do peaks 6/7/10 before lunch, then stay around 8/9 mid-afternoon so you can ski home and avoid the shuttles.

Main lodge also has a fireplace with reading chairs, and pool table. Would have loved to spend a couple hours here, but just didn't find the time.

All pavement and sidewalks are heated, so no ice or snow to trip on while walking around.

FYI we're a young couple (no kids) and found the resort and town of Breck to be so wonderful and romantic. We lucked out and got nearly 3 feet of powder during our trip. Breck looked like a snowglobe.

We did see plenty of families and kiddos running around. Would absolutely bring kids with us someday.

We got a cheaper daily rate by doing the tour thing at Grand Lodge at Peak 7. That was about 2 hours... we booked it our second day to get it over with. It was private (sales guy came and picked us up from GTL then dropped us off when finished) and once he learned our interest level was a "3" out of 10, tour basically ended immediately.

Note about dinner reservations in town of Breck - make them ASAP, like NOW, especially if going on a Friday or Saturday.

Loved Grand Timber - will visit again, no doubt.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank sarah723

Hi sarah723,

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at Grand Timber Lodge and happy you enjoyed the bulk of your stay with us. Our company goal is to take personal responsibility to create great vacations. Please don't hesitate to visit us again the next time you are in Breckenridge.