WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Valdoro Mountain Lodge

Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in Breckenridge
Denver, Colorado
“A great relaxing condo for your ski trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2009

We are in the HGVC, so I'm not sure about the value, but we had a great trip. My partner and our 2 kids stayed in a 3 bedroom 2 bath condo. It was beautiful and clean. The staff were very friendly. Our room was on the 2nd floor and faced the back of the Property.

We went the first week in April, which was a spring break week. We went skiing in Breckenridge and also drove over to A Basin one day. The hotel is a 5 minute walk to ski school for the kids and to the main strip downtown. It was very convenient. They offer a shuttle bus to get you around too if you want, but we didn't use it. The front desk was helpful with details on restaurants and other things to do. And they even let us borrow some sleds for free for the kids.

The kitchen was well-equipped (better than the HGVC places we've stayed in Orlando).

The walls seem a little thin - in the condo we could hear very clearly what was happening in the hallway. And the pool is a 2 to 3 minute walk down the hill, right next to the Property, and is shared with other resorts. We went once, and then not again. That was the only disappointment - we love to swim outside in a heated pool on ski trips, and it wasn't convenient because of the walk down the hill, it was covered, and not in the best shape.

We will definitely stay here on future ski trips. The little town of Frisco up the road was nice too - good restaurants and freindly people. Also - try the snow mobiling. Our first time this year and what a great activity.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank l0ve2travelco

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Sarasota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2009

Wow, we were so impressed with this place and my husband and I are self-confessed "hotel snobs." It's a Hilton property and seems quite new. We had a 3 bedroom, 2 bath and it was gorgeous! Granite counters throughout the kitchen and both bathrooms, TONS of cabinets fully stocked in the kitchen with stainless steel appliances. The bathrooms were both quite big and very clean--the whole place was spotless. The location is fantastic---a very short walk to Main St., even though we used the free hotel shuttle most of the time. They were great about making the shuttle available and they never took long to pick us up either direction. They brought us a brand new air humidifier when we arrived, which was very nice. There is a gas fireplace in the comfortable living room and flat screen tvs in almost every room! We were sorry we didn't bring more people with us, since it was so spacious and nicer than we ever imagined. We'd love to come back to Valdoro and want to start planning our next trip soon! The ONLY slightly negative comment I would make is that the concierge is a bit snotty. I spoke with him on the phone before we arrived and also interacted with him while we were there and got the same impression both times---that he was slightly "bothered" to answer our questions. So, just a heads up if you rely on concierges a lot---it probably won't be a warm and fuzzy experience for you. But that is a blip compared to the rest of our stay, which was amazing.

• Liked — Beautiful room with everything you could need
  • Disliked — they have you put your trash bags in the hallway---seems like there could be a better policy
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jjflorida
Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2008

what a great place to stay in breckenridge or colorado in general. walking distance to downtown breckenridge with a great location for traveling daily to other towns and being able to return in the evening to your "home away from home". the hotel has a lounge open in the evenings with a bar for an evening night cap as well as available board games etc. the decor is western, laid back and extremely welcoming. we had a two bedroom/two bath unit that faced downtown with mountains as the backdrop. warm enough to utilize the balcony in september. the unit was very well decorated and supplied. bedding, sheets and towels were upper end. we utilized the stack washer and dryer placed in a bathroom closet. very handy. daily usa today delivered to the door and the staff was very gracious and accomodating! valdoro supplies two humidifiers and we used them daily due to the extreme dryness. since we traveled daily by car to various regions we both experienced altitude sickness which included headaches and some nausea from the extrene change in altitude at times. breckenridge is a smart little town with lots to offer in dining and shopping. i would recommend georgetown, silver plume, leadville, central city and the small ghost town of st. elmo for side trips if desired.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank cindyIndiana
Clinton, Mississippi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2008

Absolutely loved the Valdoro and would return in a heartbeat. My parents are Hilton Grand Owners in Vegas and this was our first trip to the Breck property. We had two units, a three bedroom and a two bedroom. We loved the units, decor, fitness room, beds, views, etc! We cooked almost every night and the units had everything we needed. The property was centrally located. The only down side was some of the staff were not very helpful....but that didn't stop us from having a great time!! We hope to return soon, and do some skiing!

• Liked — Location, decor, beds, views
  • Disliked — Construction on roof, but really can't be helped
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank MSFishGirl
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2008

We are Hilton Grand Vacations members that own elsewhere. The Valdoro delivered a great vacation on all levels. I can honestly say I do not have one single suggestion for improving the rooms. They were comfortable and well appointed. The bathrooms were large and nice. We had a 2 bedroom plus which also meant our own deck, hot tub and grill, more points but well worth it.

The location could not be better. A short walk to restaurants, groceries, shops, whatever.

The staff was always friendly and accommodating and did check several times during our stay to be sure all was well. We used the concierge desk for several outings and they definitely steered us towards the right companies.

I have no reservations in recommending this resort.

• Liked — The nice rooms for a week's stay.
  • Disliked — Trying to park a large large suv in the parking deck, but, that's really our fault
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank workplay
Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2008

Overall, we had a pretty good stay at the Valdoro. Like others on this website, we opted to book the deal where we had to sit through a timeshare presentation for about an hour. In exchange, we received a two bedroom/two bath condo for $300 per night and received two free ski passes for Breckenridge.

The Resort: The resort itself is pretty nice. But, there were several small glitches that made it just not quite a 5 star excellent rating. The room, while nicely updated, had a few wierd problems. For example, the shades in the master bedroom were broken, the door by the washer/dryer would not shut, and a bureau drawer continuously drifted open. Also, you only get one day's worth of coffee and not a coffee supply for each day you are there. The accomodations are not exactly slopeside, but there is a shuttle that will take you pretty much anywhere you want to go in Breckenridge The hot tub area is just so-so, and the exercise room is kind of dreary. There is no on-site restauant, but only a very small convenience store.

On the plus side, the resort will supply you extra amenties like shampoos or detergent. There was a nice full kitchen, two very nice full bathrooms (one with a jacuzzi tub), comfortable beds, and a large living room area with a fireplace. The property itself was well maintained, and the ski check area on the first floor was great. Overall, given the price we paid, I don't have much room to complain. Despite some minor issues, the property is quite nice.

Dealing with the timeshare folks was (predictably so) the worse part of our stay. First, when booking the stay, they really tried to pressur us into booking right away, insisting that the resort was at 99% capacity. However, while staying there, the resort was probably only 50% at most full. This was obvious by the cars in the parking lot and the overall amount of guests at the lodge. We were suppose to have our presentation at 8:30 in the morning, a fact which was confirmed a month before our trip. Upon arrival, we were told that our presentation would be a 1pm in the afternoon (obviously an inconvenient time smack dab in the middle of the day). After demanding an earlier time slot, we were given a 9am time. The presentation was okay, but the demeanor of the saleperson changed considerably once we said we were not interested.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tresura
Georgetown, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2008

We chose our first family vacation to be a ski vacation in Breckenridge. We found the Valdoro after lots of looking and calling other places. It seemed to be a great deal for the price. They were running a special and we paid much less than we would have at other condos. There was a time share presentation that we had to sit through, but there really was no pressure from our salesperson. Her name was Kim and she ended up being really great. Our stay started out from the beginning very badly. We got to Breckenridge early because there was a bad weather advisory that had been posted and we didn't want to get stuck somewhere. We checked in at the designated location (not the lodge) and were told we were too early and they did not have names for the day. The woman there gave me the direct phone number to the Valdoro and instructed me to call them and leave my cell phone number and the Valdoro could call when our room was ready. We drove around town a little and figured our where our kids ski schools were going to be and then at about 11:20am I called the Valdoro. I spoke with Janet. She had a very nasty attitude and was rude. She acted very 'put out' by my calling and asking to leave my number....she did not offer to take my number.......did I mention I had driven from Texas and had been in the car with my 2 kids and husband for 3 days.....LOL. We went and ate lunch and then returned. We decided it would be best if my husband checked us in because it would not have been good if Janet was at the desk if I would have gone in. The gentleman that checked us in was very nice and when my husband told him about my conversation with Janet, he upgraded us to a 2 bed/2 ba.

The unit itself was clean and was nicely furnished. There were 2 nice sized bathrooms with a jacuzzi tub in the master. Granite countertops in the kitchen and plenty of space to prepare meals. The stackable washer/dryer got lots of use. The beds were very comfy with down pillows and comforters. I have a pet peave about finding hair in the bath tubs....don't ask.....and I found hair in both tubs. I don't care if it was from the maid or not, it is just something that bothers me. There was a gas fireplace that kept the living area nice and cozy. We ended up in unit #120.....at the very end of the hallway. Easy access to the garage and the hill that the kids were sledding down. That was very convenient.

There was a broken curtain rod with the curtain still hanging from it in the Master bedroom. We called the front desk immediately upon noticing it......you saw it every time you walked in the bedroom. We were assured that someone would be there the next day (Monday) to fix it. No one ever showed up. I called again on Tuesday and when we left on Friday, it had not been fixed.

You are also supposed to call the front desk to advise then if you have trash and then put it outside the front door. The first time I called about my trash, it sat outside my front door for over 5hrs before someone came and removed it..........and only after my second call to the front desk. And speaking of trash, every time you pulled into the property to pull into the garage, we got to look at 4 dumptsters. I wondered if they did not have a better place to store them. Our unit also overlooked the lovely eyesore dumpsters, so needless to say I was not pleased.

We were also supposed to get a mid-week cleaning. We never did. We ran out of toilet paper and paper towels and this also meant that our sheets never got changed. They charged if you wanted to exchange your towels, otherwise you washed them in the washer and dryer provided. They did provide dishsoap, laundry soap and toiletries at no extra charge.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay. Our family does not get to take many vacations out of town so any amount of money is quite a bit to us. I was disappointed in the things I mentioned above and was disappointed in the fact that it was not a ski in location as I saw in one advertisement. They do have great shuttle drivers that will take you anywhere and pick you up. They are also friendly and knowledgeable about just about anything to do with Breckenridge. Kudos to Nathan at the concierge desk. He was VERY helpful and didn't just give you brochures.

• Liked — Size of the unit.
  • Disliked — Could have been a bit more hospitable.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family