“Almost Perfect”
Review of The Village Hotel

The Village Hotel
Ranked #17 of 23 Hotels in Breckenridge
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Took a family week-long ski vacation to Breck over spring break after finding an incredible price for a one bedroom condo at the Village. I don't ski, but my wife is an enthusiast any my daughters - 9 & 7 - are excited beginners. This was my first trip to a ski resort so I don't have much of a frame of reference, but I can't fathom a better setup for a family ski trip than the Village at Breck.

Snappy drive from DIA took just a little over an hour and we arrived at the Village shortly after noon and a room was ready. We checked into the room and went across the street to Mi Casa for a nice lunch and then got everybody outfitted.

Convenience is a huge selling point. The Village is a 6 building compound with the Hotel, three or four condo buildings and another building right at the lift with a bar / snack / lunch & breakfast facility as well as lockers, etc. It's basically the ski-in, ski-out lobby for the facility. There are three or four equipment rental shops on the premises, so getting hooked up with gear is a snap. The ski school is literally behind the Shavano building where we stayed as is the Peak 9 lift. We wasted no time on logistics at any point of this trip and it was nice to know that our room (and a medical clinic, which ison the ground floor of the Shavano bldg.) were only steps away from the school and lifts in case there were any emergencies. The Village also has a nice Pub and an Italian restaurant that isn't bad at all.

We had two different on-bedroom condos. The satellite connection for our first room didn't work. We didn't plan on watching much TV, but for a week with 2 kids and me not skiing, it was something we needed. When I alerted the front desk of the problem, maintenance arrived within minutes and when he couldn't fix it, the moved us to a new condo the next morning.

Both rooms were immaculate and well appointed with a king bed in the bedroom, a sleeper sofa in the living room for the girls and a full kitchen. Ample space for a family of four. Note that you will not have maid service every day. But whenever we needed something (extra towels, coffee packets) the were delivered within minutes of alerting the front desk.

Everything you could want is within walking distance, including a grocery store which is three blocks away. Restaurants of every stripe, bars of every stripe, shops, and most importantly the ski school and lift.

The staff was uniformly friendly, happy and helpful. The vibe is very positive everywhere on this property, right down to the janitorial and maintenance staff. I know that when you read of the size of the Village complex it might sound like it is huge, impersonal and crowded but that was not the case at all.

Some tips: Please make sure you account for the altitude and extremely dry air by hydrating adequately. I had some issues on our first night and the medical clinic saw a lot of business with people who didn't watch their intake.

You MUST make two or three-block walk up Main to Crepes a la Cart. Do not be deterred by the line. Embrace it. Worth the wait, I assure you.

Groceries in town are pricey. If this will upset you, stop before you get to Breck to load up.

The kids really benefitted from a whole-day private lesson.
Big ticket item but it made the rest of the week much better for everyone and gave them tremendous skill and confidence.

As I said before, I don't ski, but my wife reports that there was a tremendous variety of runs and that the peak-to-peak mobility form our Peak 9 lift was outstanding.

Dog sledding. Do it. You will love it,and if you are a dog lover you will never forgive yourself for failing to partake.

Finally, get really lucky like we did and have it dump snow for a full week right up until the day you arrive and the stop and open up to gorgeous blue skies just a few hours after you arrive so you get plenty of snow without any bad weather.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Virginia P, Front Office Manager at The Village Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Wow! Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed, well-written review on our tripadvisor page! I can see future guests' being able to perfectly picture their stay with all your details. I am so glad you and your family enjoyed your stay. You will have to visit again in the future. We just got 4 inches overnight and the blue skies are surrounding us. Perfect ski day for sure!

Thank you again for contributing a review to our page and we hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed March 17, 2013

We just got back, and we really enjoyed our stay at the Village Hotel. It's so convenient (a very short walk) to things you'll want before and after skiing -- at least two rental places, a pub/restaurant, a great Mexican restaurant across the street with a stunning view, and best of all -- it sits right at the base of a couple of lifts. It's also got three indoor hot tubs, which I didn't see advertised on their Web site (only the outdoor tubs). Also, the concierge was incredibly helpful, hooking us up with lift ticket information, a shuttle to/from the airport, rentals, and more. Our room was spotless, there was extra Starbucks coffee left in the room every day, the bed was cozy, and all was overall very comfortable. Sure, it could use a little bit of renovating, but it's by no means dirty, drab or unpleasant -- and it certainly didn't deter from our trip. We'd definitely stay again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Virginia P, Front Office Manager at The Village Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review on our tripadvisor page! We truly appreciate all feedback and are glad to see you enjoyed your stay. The Village certainly is in the most convenient location with so much to do right outside the door. I hope you consider staying with us again in the future!

Thank you again for taking the time to post this review!

Reviewed March 11, 2013

We are currently staying at the Village in Breckenridge and so it is possible it may get worse before we leave but so far has already been very disappointing. The room overall is very dated and tired and is in a stand alone block which doesn't appear to have been updated since the 80s and just seems a bit neglected compared to the main building. The bathroom is tiny with toilet and bath virtually touching and the shower is weak, all of this unusual for US hotels. The air con is noisy, there is no safe in the room, there are no robes and just generally for a hotel of this class there is not a single thing to actually commend above others aside from it's clean and the location is good. We asked to move rooms but this has not been possible. An hour after this we have no hot water for an evening shower as apparently "there may be a lot of people using it". We opted for this hotel at a higher price than others but are genuinely wondering why we did. I would suggest you also think twice

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FozzieandBlakey
Virginia P, Front Office Manager at The Village Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

I apologize for the dissatisfaction you have had with our property. We appreciate your feedback and honesty. We are currently looking into different upgrades and furnishings for the hotel and hope to have them in place before the next ski season. We will share the information you provided about the water issue with our engineering staff too. Hopefully that can be remedied immediately.

Please reach out to the front desk if you wish to provide any additional comments.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights in Feb 2013 for a guys trip. The hotel itself is a 3.5 star, but the location is a 2 min walk to the base of peak #9 and there are a couple equipment rental locations right next door. We were not going for extravagant on this trip and the quality of the room and amendities more than met our expectations and needs. Here are some of the pros and cons:

Pros:
Rooms were good sized
Comfortable bed
Stong shower with plenty of hot water
Location was ideal - 1/2 black from Main Street and 2 min walk to peak #9 lifts.
Valet Parking (covered in resort fee - see below)
Easy check-in and check-out and staff was friendly (limited interaction)

Con's:
Daily Resort Fee not covered in base price.
Elevators were a bit slow
Jacuzzi room and equipment were a bit dated

Overall I was happy with The Village and would recommend for anyone looking for a average/above average hotel but is more focused on location.

Room Tip: We booked 2 rooms, 1 had a fold out couch and one did not. Make sure you book one with a couch if y...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Virginia P, Front Office Manager at The Village Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking a moment to write on our tripadvisor page! We appreciate all the comments you had in regards to your stay with us. Thank you for letting us know your concerns about the resort fee, elevator and jacuzzi/equipment. In the future, if you book directly with Breckenridge hospitality, the resort fee is built in to your reservation. Therefore, upon your check out, there are no additional fees for you to pay. Thank you for bringing up the elevators and issues in the health club. Our homeowner's association oversees those two areas and are working to find better solutions for the elevators and also researching new equipment.

Thank you for commenting on the positives in terms of our staff and location! You really can't beat a 15 second walk to Main St.

We appreciate you taking a moment to share you experience here at the Village. We hope to see you in the future!
Think Snow!

Reviewed February 23, 2013

I have tried to use the hotel twice now...the first, during booking we were told early check in ( we were traveling with an infant ) we waited for two hours, we were told that we would have a CRIB, we had a broken pack and play...the second booking, we said that we would be booking with 4 adults, booked the room and then had an additional 100 a night charge for the extra two adults...the location is great but there is a reason why it is only a 3 star resort !!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Dear Valued Guest,

I wanted to address your concerns in this tripadvisor review. I apologize that during both of your trips to our property you did not have a positive experience. I'm sorry that during your first stay you had to wait to have a room ready. Our guaranteed check in time is at 4pm. If you arrive before then we do our very best to follow through on an early check in if possible. I'm so sorry you still had to wait several hours. Sometimes housekeeping can be very busy but, that is one area that we will work to do better on in accommodating our guests' moving forward.

If at any time you are having an issue here at our property such as a broken pak n' play or questions in regards to a fee on your booking, please come and speak with the front desk. We are here to assist with any and all questions or issues you may be having.

We hope you consider returning to the Village in the future.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

Stayed 2 nights mid-week at a very attractive PriceLine rate. Check in was fast and when I requested a view room, was told that while views can be modest at the Village, this would be one of the better rooms. I think it was true and I liked the town/hills view. There was some traffic noise, but I have a sound app that masks pretty well. Walking to restaurants was very convenient. Access to lifts via Plaza level is a quick walk.
The room was spacious and the king bed quite comfy. Bath is indeed small. Tiny, even. I'd have a tough time booking a double with a friend as the bath and sink area wouldn't share well. For a solo, it's fine. I could hear some guest noise, too, but everyone settled down 10pm-7am. It might be noisier weekends/spring break.
I have to particularly thank the bell/valet staff: really top notch. Much more personable than in more posh hotels, efficient and focused, too. And you can tell they love snow, which is fun in a ski town. The combined valet/internet/whatever fee didn't bother me at all. I did think the pool area seemed minimal and kind of a trek.
But for winter, the locker room is great: check out in the a.m., have the valet store your bags, shower and dress apres-ski, and drive to your next destination or the airport refreshed.
I would stay here again. Handy, friendly, decent 3* accommodation.

Room Tip: For quiet, request top floor courtyard. View rooms exist but come with some street noise.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Virginia P, Front Office Manager at The Village Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our tripadvisor page! We were so glad to see you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for your kind words in regards to our bell/valet staff! They were all happy to see you were grateful of their services. Thank you for providing future guests' with this information and the pictures of our property. We hope you stay with us next time you visit Breckenridge!

Think Snow!

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Just returned from Breck with my son and another mom and her son. We stayed at the Village Hotel which could not be in a more perfect location. The front desk staff, concierge, and free shuttle were great! The location to the Peak 9 lift was perfect. One problem is room and bathroom size, My friend and her son were in an interior room. It was barely big enough for all of the suit cases and ski gear. My son and I were in a larger room on the street side of the hotel. The room size was great, but the street noise was horrible. The snow plows sounded like they were outside our room for an hour scraping and peeping from 1-2 am. Also, you could here people in the streets all hours of the night.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Virginia P, Front Office Manager at The Village Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our tripadvisor page. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I apologize that the street noise kept you up over night. The locations of the rooms definitely have some differences in sizes too as you mentioned. If you return to the property we truly do our best at the front desk to get you into a room that meets any requests. Simply have the reservations' agent put those notes into your reservation and we will do our best to get you into a room that meets your needs.

We are grateful that you chose to stay at the Village for your vacation and we hope to see you again in the future!