“Great Spot for a Ski Vacation”

One Ski Hill Place, A RockResort
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Breckenridge
GreenLeadersSilver level
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Great Spot for a Ski Vacation”
Reviewed March 8, 2012

While pricey, we were in a 3BR/3BA suite and had plenty of room. The location is the best feature - right at the top of the Breck gondola and the lift to the terrain park was only about 20 steps from the hotel. The staff was very helpful, the room was clean and stocked with everything we needed and there were plenty of restaurant/food options available. They offered a shuttle service into town but we didn't take advantage of that. The only negative was that upon check-in, they mentioned that we could ask for a late check-out if needed but when I asked that we be allowed to stay in the room for an hour past check-in, they said that was not an option. I don't really understand that as we were checking out on a Sunday and I don't think that would be a big day for new guests to arrive. It is a shame that our last experience with this otherwise wonderful vacation was negative.

Room Tip: We had a corner, 3BR/3BA suite overlooking the gondola and down the mountain. It was spacious and v...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed March 6, 2012

After reading several reviews I wasn't completely convinced about this resort!!! The place is excellent - very nicely appointed units.Only problem with Studio was no dresser!! Spacious kitchen, & decent space, much better than just a bedroom. Lobby & staff very nice especially "Dillon" Restaurant "The Living Room Restaurant" was excellent! Location for skiing couldnt have been better with locker downstairs for ski gear and steps to the lift. Shuttle service to town and supermarket very efficient... A very nice vacation and we were not dissapointed.

Room Tip: The one or two bedroom had lots more room
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Rocklin, California
Reviewed March 5, 2012

I just returned from a weekend at this resort and wanted to share my experience with others considering staying here. I had researched hotels and was really excited to experience everything this resort had to offer from what I had read. Having experienced many five star hotels, normally when I have spent over $700 per night, I expect the best of the best, especially in regards to customer service. Unfortunately, this was not the case with this hotel and I was extremely disappointed when I left.

One of the main reasons I booked this hotel was for the ski-in/out privilege yet this "privilege" is not offered the day you leave the hotel. Therefore, if you are staying Friday thru Sunday, the only day you can use the lockers is Saturday. Sunday we were not allowed to use the lockers and had to give back the keys by check out at 11am. On Saturday evening, I went up to the front desk to request a late check-out or at least use the locker so that we could leave our shoes while we were skiing. The girl at the front desk began to ask what time we were planning on leaving the hotel (1pm- 2 hours after check-out) and then the manager, who was eavesdropping on our conversation, VERY rudely interrupted the girl helping us and told us no late check outs, no use of the locker. She did not even ask what our schedule was, she just flat out denied our request without even trying to accommodate us. I felt very frustrated by her treatment. She told us that the lockers had to be available for the guest checking in on Sunday. Fact : Check-in was at 4pm. Check-out was at 11pm, we were leaving by 1pm. Her rationale did not make any sense. By her brutally rebuffing our request, this ruined the rest of our trip. She did not even attempt to accommodate us or ask what our situation was. On Sunday, we were packed and out of our room by 9 am to ski and had to get all of our stuff out of the locker, put our ski gear on, walk to the first floor and return the lockers keys and give the front desk our shoes. Then when we were done skiing I had to walk back into the hotel, down to the first floor in my ski boots to get our shoes, while my boyfriend waited outside with our skis. So much for the “ski-in ski-out" expereince. Sunday was very incovenient.
In addition to this experience that ruined out trip, below are additional reasons this hotel is not worth the money:
1. We stayed in the studio room. No "real bed" only a Murphy bed that had to be pulled down at bedtime. No night stand, no way to get out of the bed if you are sleeping on the left side as the bed is pushed against the window. VERY uncomfortable.
2. Bathroom - Nothing spectacular, one sink, bath-tub combo, with curtain shower rod. No water pressure or warm water temperature. We actually thought there was something wrong with our shower because the temperature never reached above lukewarm. An engineer tried to fix it, but said this was the warmest it could get for "safety reasons". The last thing you want after a full day of skiing in the cold is a lukewarm shower. Not what you expect at "top" hotel.
3. From 7am to around 7pm, very loud and constant noises above our room. When we arrived on Friday, tired from our travels, we wanted to take a nap. Unfortunately because of the loud noises, we were unable to sleep. A person from the front desk came up to check on it but could not pin point the noise. And told us that it was probably housekeeping and it would probably diminish towards the end of the day. Same noise the rest of the trip.
4. Requested turn down service, which was especially important because we had the Murphy bed. First night housekeeping came in, but didn't turn down bed, just left us two new towels.
5. The bowling alley broke three times during the one hour we were in there.

Room Tip: Do not get the studio room. Murphy bed and shower/tub combo with shower curtain. Very cramped. Ro...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
11 Thank Love2ski32980
Louisiana
Reviewed March 5, 2012

To be fair concerning this review, we usually stay at Ritz Carlton, St Regis type resorts for our family ski trips and expected this to be on par as we were certainly paying for such.

One Ski Hill is located at the base of peak 8 so you are required to take the tram ( operates during the day) or the shuttle (shared by several hotels at night) to go into the Village of Breckenridge for shopping, restaurants etc. unless you have your own car.

Upon arrival, Saturday of Presidents Day weekend, we were issued a room overlooking the front drive of the hotel. I explained that when I booked the reservation ( Breckenridge Central Reservations) I called the hotel directly to discuss room location while still in the cancellation period. I explained that my husband doesn't ski but comes on these trips to watch others on the slopes and that we required a slope side room. I was told that "this will be no problem". The man checking us in rolled his eyes and said that he didn't know why someone would tell us this since there was only one slope side 1 bedroom condo at the resort. He clearly let us know he thought we were lying. We then offered to pay the difference and move to a 2 bedroom slope side and was told that nothing would be available until Monday. Left with no options we decided to wait and move on Monday. Monday am, we called downstairs to ask what time we should expect to change condos and were told that they don't move guests in the middle of their stay and were not sure why we just assumed we would be changed to a slope side view condo!

There were many other issues such as housekeeping. They came each day around 4pm and asked "do you need housekeeping today"? Very frustrating after a long day of skiing and trying to shower, rest etc. to have them in the room and they obviously resented being there. Valet was limited to one person who you had to track down if you needed to check your car in or out. The most glaring deficiency at this hotel is the front desk staff. They are incredibly condescending in their communication with guests. Rudeness was witnessed by us and other guests several times during our stay. There is a sign on the front desk offering complementary cookies. My son, while my husband and I watched from the front door, walked up and ask if he could please have a cookie. The girl behind the desk didn't speak or acknowledge him, gave her co-worker a smirk, and basically threw a cookie on the counter.

After these issues and other disappointments, we decided to leave three days early and go to a nearby resort. Upon checkout, there was no "sorry to see you go early etc". They did however tell us that we were still responsible for resorts fees for the days we were not going to be there!

I do want to mention that we had a maintenance issue and the maintenance staff was excellent. Also, we ordered from room service several times and the food was good and service perfect.

We have stayed at another Rock Resort property and did not have these types of issues so I must believe that the problem is with staff training at this location.

Room Tip: They do not honor room requests.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank lalea
Southeast Louisiana
Reviewed February 24, 2012

We just stayed here and there are plenty of good things about this place but also a few negative.
I only have 2 negative comments regarding the room. Overall the one bedroom was great except that there is NO storage place for the guests that sleep on the Murphy bed in the living room and there is no water pressure in the showers I think due to the type of shower head. Otherwise it is very nice and it was GREAT to have the washer/dryer in the unit. The hotel is layed out pretty well but there are a few odd things. The hotel spends money to build 2 media rooms but then only has a very small DVD selection in their extremely small & limited "market". This is the same movies you get to choose from for the DVD player in your room. It would be nice if there were movies to rent from tv in room or even at least in the media rooms. There is no spa but there is a relaxation area with a couple of rooms for massage treatments. I had a massage & it was great! The workout room is small but sufficient although it would have been nice for the machines to face out to the slopes instead of the pool area. The 2 pools are small but area is nice enough. Hot tub inside looked nice but the one outside was broken. The sauna & steam room are co Ed which we didn't care for but when I used the steam room no one was in there. The ski in ski out lockers were GREAT! You literally are right there. The ski resort staff were very nice however we wish that they would have told us that Peak 9 actually has the easier greens vs Peak 8. So our crew did it backwards and were somewhat disappointed especially since the last day we were there peak 8 was dead but peak 9 was busy. The hotel staff was nice enough but we found the concierge, valet and housekeepers to be much nicer & helpful than the front desk. Front desk was kind of reserved and aloof. Also, we tried to reserve the bowling alley a day before as suggested but earlier times were booked so the 9pm ended up being too late for us and we cancelled. Looked nice though so try and reserve extra early if you want a particular time.

The town is very close and a real easy 2 minutes to drive to. We used the shuttle one day and it was more of a hassle.

Overall we really enjoyed our stay here and will most likely return but I think the website oversells it as a luxury resort since it lacks a few things....as well as it is a tad overpriced

Room Tip: You are surrounded by mountains so I can't see where you can go wrong BUT since I was injured I...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank bellaherna
Powderly, Kentucky
Reviewed February 21, 2012

Just finished a brief President's day holiday trip and was disappointed. I thought I would get a "5 star" experience ( I certainly paid for it) and instead got maybe a 3 star experience.
Expensive--VERY
Convenient-- to slopes, NOT to town
Crowded--VERY ( yes, was a holiday weekend, but I hear Beaver Creek was less crowded--may try that next year.
Service--Friendly, yes
Efficient, not so much--cereal dropped on floor never picked up by housekeeping.
New--Yes
Well run operation?--not yet
Bottom line--same service available elsewhere at one half the price.

• Stayed February 2012
3 Thank lovethesnow11
OSHPandCPLManager, Front Office Manager at One Ski Hill Place, A RockResort, responded to this review, February 22, 2012
Thank you lovethensow11 for your review. I am very sorry that you did not receive the high level of service you were expecting. We strive to provide an exceptional experience in every possible way and we take any feedback very seriously. I would love to discuss in greater detail if you would like to contact me at (970) 547-8807.

Chris
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed February 6, 2012

Loved the location and services. Large rooms, quiet, nice set up for ski -in/out having extremely nice separate locker and changing room to get ready before heading out.

Not crowded, lots of attention if you want it or none if you don't.

Room Tip: Ask about a room overlooking the slope versus the road side which doesn't have as nice views.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends