“Mostly Pluses” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 19 Hotels in Boulder
california
“Mostly Pluses”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

Most Holiday Inn Express chains are very nice as this one was. I used Booking.com to book this hotel not knowing that if I booked with them I wouldn't be able to use/gain my member points, I guess I understand that booking.com is a third party site but I wasn't asking for a discount or anything so it didn't really make sense to me. When I asked the front desk person about it he was vague about if I would get the points or not, it didn't seem like he really knew one way or the other.

As far as the room itself it was comfortable, with nice bedding & great free Wi-Fi that worked perfectly. The bathroom was spacious and I love the adjustable shower heads they have, I found a few small hairs in my tub but could tell that it was cleaned. We only stayed one night so we didn't use the pool or anything else they offer so I can't comment on them.

One thing they really need to improve is their Lost & found communications. I was traveling with my Sister who is Diabetic and she happened to leave her medical blood strips and a few other important items in a bag on the bed (she has never done that!) of course she didn't realize she left it until we were about 500 miles away! She called the hotel ASAP to ask if they had found it and the front desk said they didn't know and would have to ask a maid and call back...well a few days had gone by and no call back so she called again, the front desk staff said they still didn't know. Sounded like they didn't even check from the first call...this was medical stuff so you would think that they would care a little more and find out! My Sister left her address and numbers and asked for them to please find it and call back. She didn't get any call back but her bag arrived at her door as an overnight package that they charged her $70 bucks for, she never asked them to do that because by then she had already replaced the items in the bag! I think they need better training on communication with the housekeeping staff and should ask how something is to be sent back before assuming someone wants to pay $70 bucks for overnight when if they had cared in the first place they wouldn't have had to go that route.

Anyway, other than that it was a nice stay. Just don't leave anything behind and you should be fine!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Emily S, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Boulder, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Thank you for your well thought out review. I'm happy that we were able to provide you with one of our spacious rooms and we are excited about the opportunity to continue to offer those large rooms and adjustable shower heads for your next stay.

It is common practice amongst all brand hotels that most rates booked through most third party web sites (complimentary hotel stays and any other rates not defined as a Qualifying Room Rate) are not eligible for points. This is becoming the standard practice within the hospitality industry, including airlines as well.

In regards to the lost and found, let me start by apologizing for the inconvenience and miscommunication. We will review our lost and found procedure and evaluate how to expedite the process more efficiently. I will say, however, that we can not mail a lost item without speaking to the guest prior and receiving their address and payment information.

Again, thank you for your review and please contact me directly on your next visit to Boulder.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

out of the busy, crowded part of Boulder, but still close enough to North Boulder, quite, compared to other hotels in Boulder, will all ways stay there if needing a hotel in Boulder. bummer, windows did not open.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank bjcoats
Emily S, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Boulder, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Thank you for your review! We are significantly the closest hotel to the Boulder Community Hospital, all the local shops, and breweries in North Boulder.

I'm interested in your window comment, and I'd love to talk more about it, so please don't hesitate to contact me so that we may resolve this issue. All of our guest room windows do open, so I was surprised to read that yours did not.

So again, please don't hesitate to contact me so we can riddle this out.

Thank you, and I look forward to your next stay.
Sparks, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013

I stayed here 5 nights while helping my son continue with the clean up from the 9/11 flood of his home. The staff was very friendly and helpful, rooms clean, furnishings up to date, mini-fridge, microwave, coffee maker (with pretty good coffee for hotel coffee), never heard any sounds from surrounding rooms. The morning breakfast, however, was processed, heated up in a microwave food. The bananas were the only fresh food. The breakfast room was kept clean and again the staff was very friendly. For the location and comfort I'd stay here again.

Room Tip: I was on the first floor and never heard a sound from above or beside me.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank divetravlr
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. I'm sorry to hear about your son's situation, but I'm happy that we were able to assist and offer our services and a warm, dry place to stay.
Our breakfast is made daily and we do offer several fresh food options, including the bananas and oranges. We are working to offer additional healthy options to our menu, so definitely keep an eye out.
Thanks again, and we look forward to your next stay.
Missoula, Montana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

This will not be at the top of your list for superb places to stay but I can keep agree with the other recent reviews. The staff was very polite, rooms were furnished nicely. My bathroom needed a little extra cleaning though. TV in exercise room wouldn't receive a signal. Location is convenient.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Mtarmygriz
Emily S, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Boulder, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Thank you for your review. We do aim to be on our guest's top 10 lists of places to stay, with our friendly staff and spacious rooms. I'm sorry we weren't able to do so for you during your previous stay.

Please contact me directly for your next stay, and I will make every effort to land on your list of top hotels. Thank you again.
Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

I can only join the others reviews. This is nice hotel, pretty convenient in most of the aspects. The staff is great - polite, friendly and helpful.
Breakfasts indeed need major improvement - hardly found something to eat, the food is not too healthy though.
The location is outside of downtown but not too distant as Boulder generally is not a large place. Overall in 5-10 minutes it is possible to reach everywhere.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review. We love hearing from our guests. We especially love hearing positive things about our staff!

In regards to the breakfast comments, I'm sorry you didn't have a fully positive experience. We do offer a variety of options to start your morning and I'm sorry we were able to accommodate your needs. We are working towards offering even more healthy options in the coming months. Currently we do offer oatmeal, yogurt and low fat milk, as well a variety of fruit.

Again, thank you for your review and we look forward to your next stay.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

The hotel was a nice. It was clean. It was very easy checking in and out. The staff was very helpful and friendly. There is a nice little gym. There is a very nice little pool. There was a very good selection at the free breakfast each morning - much more than I've ever seen at a free continental breakfast. It was quick and easy to get to anywhere I wanted to go in Boulder from there. Overall, if you don't need to stay in the plushest hotel with the latest decor, then this was a great value!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Emily S, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Boulder, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words and the positive review about your recent stay. I'm so excited to hear that check-in was super efficient and that you feel that the staff and facilities were great! I can't wait to share your review with my staff!

I agree with you on the breakfast, I personally enjoy a different treat each morning.
Thanks again for your review and we look forward to your next stay.
Ann Arbor, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

This hotel was modern, quiet and comfortable. I liked that it was off the beaten path and away from the main downtown area. Breakfast was not great. The service was fine, not stellar, but certainly not subpar.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review. We are located in northern part of Boulder, right at the base of the Foothill Mountains. We are located next to several trails such as the Wonderland Lake path, which is located behind the hotel. Although we are a little 'off the beaten path' we are still able to provide another side of the true Boulder experience.

Our breakfast changes daily, so I'm sorry your experience wasn't stellar. We value our guest's opinions and I will work with our breakfast clerk to guarantee that all guests experiences are positive ones.