“Terrible experience”

Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Boulder
Boulder, Colorado
“Terrible experience”
Reviewed January 28, 2014

Quite surprised just how awful my experience was here. My girlfriend and I checked in for a night for some Boulder carousing and never again will select this hotel. First, we get to room and the key doesn't work so back to the front desk to get a key that actually opens the room. Ok, into the room and we find the room to be mind-numbingly cold and I'm someone who likes it cold. I swear the room must have been 50 degrees. Ok so crank the heater and let's get warm...hours later the room at least became lukewarm. Next up, the shower. Had to run the water for 20 minutes until it was finally hot enough to take a shower and thaw out from our freezing cold room. We survied the night, went out to get some coffee in the morning...back to the room well before check-out and once again the key doesn't work....back to front desk, get a key that works...pack up and get the hell outta this hotel!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mike C
BoulderCreek, Manager at University Inn, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
We would like to first thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at the Boulder University Inn and would also like to apologize for the issues you experienced. Boulder has been part of the national vortex of freezing weather, accordingly we made every effort to keep all guest rooms at a warm temperature for not only the comfort of our guests, but also to ensure that pipes would not freeze in the building. Unfortunately, there must have been an issue with the specific heater in your guest room, as it definitely would not take long to heat, and would heat the room very comfortably. In regards to the water heater, the same is true. We believe that the weather unfortunately was the reason for all of the inconveniences you dealt with including your room keys. Please allow me to take this opportunity to apologize again as we take great pride in delivering excellent service and obviously feel short during your stay. We would love the opportunity to talk to you directly so please don't hesitate to call Renee at 303.215.4144 as this experience was completely unacceptable and we would love the opportunity speak directly.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 24, 2013

For business and personal reasons, I had to stay in Boulder for over 5 months. I liked the Colo. Spgs. Broadmoor Hotel but stayed only one night at $1,000 a night. If I had to do this for 5 months it would have been at least $150,000 plus tips.

I found the Boulder University Inn to be perfect in every important way. Of course, the staff did not all wear tuxedos! :-) Everyone was consistent and friendly. Many people stay maybe one or two days for an event. I stayed a great number of days over 5 months and was never disappointed. I am a retired University Professor and have dealt with many people in my life.

I need to stay in Boulder again----- and I know very well where I will stay.

Thank You!
Chicago traveler

Room Tip: Tell the Manager Giuseppe what you need and give him some advanced notice so he can best help you...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Ron G
BoulderCreek, Manager at University Inn, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Thank you for the five star review of your recent stay at the Boulder University Inn. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate that you enjoyed the service and friendliness of our wonderful team members. We look forward to welcoming you back if you do find yourself in Boulder, Colorado in the future.
Annapolis
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Disappointing stay in Nov. 2013 - visiting Univ of Colorado with my son so chose this hotel for the location near campus and Pearl Street. Room was dated. It was in the 30s which is not cold, but the room was freezing. Heater went on every 5 minutes and air still poured through the bathroom window. Breakfast that was included was so so and had to listen to a woman who had just gotten out of jail and worried about paying her fine. Room was very loud from traffic.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank HFT
We are so saddened to hear that you didn’t enjoy your stay, as we strive to exceed guest expectations. We would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay with you directly. Please contact us at your convenience. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to speaking with you.
Colorado
Reviewed October 20, 2013

It was the perfect location for my night in Boulder, and my room was clean. While I have no truly negative comments, those two points are about all that this place has going for it.

It is, IMHO, basically a $45 motel for $100+ per night. Cheap bed (poor support), cheap pillows, cheap wall-mounted shampoo and soap dispensers, cheap and boring 'breakfast,' the cheapest basic cable, cheap and flimsy sink taps, etc. The front desk staff were all very professional and friendly. Parking is a pain - there were more cars than spaces on the night I stayed.

At least two guests were talking loudly outside on their cell phones at 4am. I couldn't back to sleep, so that cost me a couple of hours of rest (not the hotel's fault, but as a consequence I can't say I slept well). Broadway is fairly noisy with traffic, even late at night.

Room Tip: Unless the location is as perfect for you as it was for me, a good room would be one in a different...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Stayed here for a night in October, chose it for its location and price. The motel overall on the outside is fairly decent, relative to what you would expect for an average motel. The location is great, parking is easy. The motel is fairly clean, very outdated Not as nice as website pics), and fairly functional, i.e. an average motel. However, our experience in room 220 was ruined by the stale smoke odor (not new smoke) that saturated the entire "Non Smoking" room, from the bathroom, to the bedroom, to the pillows and bedsheets. I attempted to change rooms, and the night staff was very nice and understandable, but being that the motel was sold out, they were unable to switch me to another room, which was understandable considering the circumstances. The pervasive, nauseating odor made it very difficult to relax and sleep. The great location definitely wasn't worth losing sleep in the end for us.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
BoulderCreek, Manager at University Inn, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
We would first like to start off by saying thank you for choosing to stay with us as well as taking the time to comment on your recent experience. We are sincerely disheartened to know that we did not exceed your expectations let alone meet them, as we strive to do. It is our goal to deliver exceptional service to our guests and we obviously fell short with your experience. We do take great pride in the appearance of our guest rooms which includes our non-smoking rooms remaining smoke free. We despise when a guest chooses to disregard our policy and smokes in a non-smoking room. We will work with our housekeeping staff to insure they alert us when there has been a violation to ensure we take action to correct the issue. On a separate note The Boulder University Inn will become a completely non-smoking hotel in 2014. Again we apologize for this unfortunate occurrence taking place during your stay and would be grateful if you gave us the opportunity to have you stay with us again in the future.
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed here for its location to downtown pubs and shops. The bed/bedding left something to be desired. Something like a college dorm mattress in slightly smaller than full with that fleecy blanket with the "satin" on the end. The decor was older but clean. There is no mini fridge but the ice machine in the lobby works. The bathroom has a stand up shower and window for ventilation. The A/C in the main room worked and was on a switch to turn off/on easily. It had a good size closet if you need the space. Did not use the TV so can't comment on that. The parking lot is tight it seems like they have 1 spot per room so we always found a spot. I did not swim in the pool but it looked clean from the parking lot. Did not have the breakfast so can't review that. The juice/coffee/tea/water/ice machine were in the lobby and available 24/7. I did accidentally leave some clothing behind and came back to see if I could get it later that day but they didn't have a record of it so I was bummed about that, the maid probably just threw it out.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Iron Mountain, Michigan, Usa
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Clean hotel. Polite staff. EXCELLENT location.

The hotel is clean - a little dated but has everything you need.

Across the street is the wonderful Alfalfa's grocery. We ate lunch there the two days in Boulder. A short 3 block walk to the Pearl Street Mall for dinner, drinks, shopping, entertainment, etc.

I would stay here again.

PS - complimentary bicycles are a wonderful addition.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple