“It is what it is.”

Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Boulder
Salina
“It is what it is.”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

1st trip ever to Boulder. Wanted something close to Pearl St. and still not pay through the nose. this motel is located just a few blocks away from Pearl and is just around the corner from a wonderful park with a stream running through it. This is a 2 story motel with approx 35 rooms. It is older but the room we had on the 2nd floor was nice. It was clean and the bathroom was adequate with a walk in shower and plenty of water pressure. They do use liquid soap and shampoo dispenser mounted to the shower wall. The bed was very comfortable and the a/c worked great. The fellow at the desk was very helpful and even went on to explain Boulder to us after he found out it was our first trip there. They even have free bikes you can take if you want to go riding around which seemed to be the preferred mode of transportation in Boulder. I would def stay here again with no apprehension.

Room Tip: I would try and get a room on the 2nd floor due to traffic going by the motel, busy street. Parking...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
BoulderCreek, General Manager at Boulder University Inn, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at our hotel! We are glad you enjoyed our property, our guest service and our prime location! We are so glad you would choose to stay with us again and we look forward to seeing you on your future trips to Boulder, Colorado!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 22, 2013

My friend and I had planned a trip to visit Boulder, Colorado. We booked two nights at the hotel with plans to enjoy nature and the nightlife. The location of the hotel was great. It was close to restaurants and had a vibrant atmosphere. As for the accommodations, they are basic and the rooms are quite clean. Parking is available in the front of the building and the set up is reminiscent of a low key motel.

My only concern of the experience lies with the customer service. Upon checking in, the front desk staff did not properly process the payment of my friend’s card, asked for cash and then stated that we can pay per night. My friend and I were paid the amount requested and went along our way for a nice dinner. Within a mile radius of the hotel, there are a number of fantastic places to eat, drink and lounge.

The next morning, we get a call at 7:30 am from the Assistant General Manager stating that we “owed” University Inn money. My friend and I were taken aback. We paid the amount that we were quoted and did not see that there were any issues. Shortly after receiving the telephone call, we met with the Assistant General Manager to get clarity of his concerns and to explain the events that took place upon our arrival. However, the Assistant General Manager stated that he was agitated, accused us of fraud and threatened to call the police even though we paid the amount quoted to us. My friend and I were appalled by his behavior, as there was no dishonesty or disrespect on our part. Somehow, the mistake from the front desk staff the night before was placed on us. At that time, my friend called his bank and the Assistant General Manager had called his credit company. He then told us that we were not allowed to stay the second night we booked and must leave the hotel. The process took about 2 hours to resolve to the best of its ability. The Assistant General Manager was very unprofessional and condescending throughout the entire process. At the end of it all, we still had to leave the hotel and the money that we were supposedly to have “owed” them, ended up to be that the hotel owed my friend money, which was pended to his account.

Even though the location of the hotel is convenient, the lack of organization and poor customer service was unacceptable. Overall, my time in Boulder was memorable and outside of the hotel experience, I had a nice time.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank Fransois_X
Iowa City, Iowa
Reviewed July 20, 2013

If you are pinching pennies in Boulder it is OK, but you get less than you pay for. Although this motel is ~$25 cheaper than the Quality Inn a couple blocks away, the savings are not worth it. The rooms are rundown, carpet old and worn, and bedding and towels of lower quality. The bathroom is tiny, no fridge or micro, and the tv low on channels. The free breakfast was bare bones and the room has tables/chairs for ~3 couples.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank onthesameday
Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

We've been staying at this hotel on and off for something like twenty years, it seems to go through cycles where it is renovated and then goes into decline. Currently, the hotel seems to be in a bit of a decline, as the rooms seemed a bit on the worn side and the exterior showed some need of maintenance (carpet worn on outside stairs, rust on handrails to stairs). It's not a fancy place but if you want fancy, just go to the Boulderado or one of Boulders other boutique hotels. The University Inn is a call back to the era when Boulder was a college town not the pretentious place it is today. Front desk staff are extremely helpful. Bicycles are available to use although you're close enough to downtown to walk to Pearl Street mall. Parking can be tight if you get in too late. Room had shower and the showerhead is inflexible - if you're the wrong height, it can be a bit of a challenge. There is a pool, but we always have so many other interesting things to do in Boulder we've never made it in, We continue to stay here because this hotel is a unique piece of old Boulder. I'd give this a 3.5 if I could, this hotel isn't in for everyone but for some of us it works ok.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Decent, low cost, well located spot. Staff really accommodating. Free bikes to ride. AC didn't work well but open windows did the trick. Easy walk to Pearl Street. Great Thai Restaurant next door. Near UC Boulder.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank LarrySc
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

I stay here when I'm in Boulder because it fits the tight budget. Considering the price I'm satisfied. They have a simple, ample breakfast and location is good. A special supermarket is across the street and you can walk to the main tourist street. They even have bikes for you which is a nice offer. Biggest negative for me is the motel smell. I don't like it. Hopefully they will proceed with renovations. New carpeting and paint will take care of the problem. Helpful staff. Common computer to print out boarding passes. Pool, but I'm not there during the open months. Request 2nd floor room so you don't hear upstairs guests walking. Street noise worse up front.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Carolyn F
Oregon
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This is a tired property, past due for updating. While the beds were reasonably comfortable, there were zero amenities (no microwave or refrigerator) and the toilet took several flushes to work. The person in the room next to ours played the radio loud all night. The price seemed high for 2 double beds - for a third that I could have stayed in a Motel 6 a bit outside Boulder. The breakfast was basic. There was an iMac in the office I was able to use to print some directions on a monochrome laser printer, which was handy. Had I not been so tired, I would have looked elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family