WINNER WONDERLAND
Win Big When You Book on TripAdvisor

“If you don't plan on spending much time in your hotel room, this place will work.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of University Inn

University Inn
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Boulder
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

We shopped around for a hotel that would be close to the downtown Pearl Street area and this place was within walking distance and the price was reasonable compared to the other chains in the area or the upscale places at $250+/night. We only stayed one night, thank goodness, because the room wasn't that great. It smelled like smoke, although it was a non-smoking room. The AC didn't work that well and it took a long time for the room to cool down. The shower had mold on the ceiling that had been painted over and the walls of the shower weren't that clean either. The carpet was dirty. The bed was ok and sheets were clean. We opted to stay on the first floor so we could park right outside the door but we could hear every step taken in the room above us which became quite annoying. The pool was right along side the road and even though there was a privacy fence, there is a lot of foot traffic thru the area so we didn't even attempt trying out the pool. There is a park area behind the hotel and from the front door of our room we could see a group of people sitting under a tree behind the hotel. At first glance, it looked like a group of homeless people and we started to get concerned about the security in the parking lot with leaving items inside our car. However, after a closer look, we realized they were just a group of locals who dressed like homeless people (seemed to be common in Boulder). We spent most of our time downtown dreading coming back to the hotel room..hoping to drink enough local brews to put us to sleep quickly upon returning to the room.
I would give this hotel 2 stars, except for the fact that the location was perfect and the hotel staff was very helpful and nice. If you don't plan on spending time in your room, then this place will work if you want a reasonably priced room close to the downtown area.
They served a continental breakfast, which we opted to skip..try out the "The Buff Restaurant" instead (featured on Man vs. Food on the Travel Channel).

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
NE
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2012

Although not much has changed at the University Inn since my last review in Aug 2011, I did want to make note that upon the manager's post/comment to my review, when making reservations I requested a refrigerator for our 8 night stay. Luckily this request was granted. I was told upon check in that there are 4 refrigerators on site and are available as first come first serve. It was nice to not have to keep a cooler stocked with ice, especially since most days during our stay were over 90 degrees!

As always, we found the rooms clean and comfortable and the staff friendly and accommodating. Not quite 5 star. Not yet anyway!

In the lobby is a poster board display of the renovations & remodeling that is going to take place at the hotel. I was told that the project will be done in 3 phases, with the first phase starting late October and the hotel will remain open during the renovations. I was also told that all rooms/bathrooms will be redone top to bottom. Double/full size beds will be replaced with queen size, giving guests the option of queen or king bedding. I believe all tv's will be replaced with flat screens as well. The lobby/breakfast area will also be redone and a new privacy wall will be built around the pool. The exterior of the building has what appears to me to be the typical look of other Boulder stone front buildings. Based on the photos, the exterior and interior changes look very nice!

I look forward to seeing/experiencing the changes on my next visit to town.

Mare

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank mare123
BoulderCreek, General Manager at University Inn, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
We are so thrilled that you chose to stay with us again. We too are very excited for our upcoming renovation which is now scheduled to begin in January 2013. We hope to see again if your travels bring you back to Boulder.
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

This is not a fancy place - but it's clean and quiet. Walking distance to Pearl Street Mall and the university. The creek runs behind the inn, and you can see the Flatirons from the parking lot. The free wi-fi was very fast, and the continental breakfast was fine. For less than $100 including tax per night in late July, it was definitely a bargain and I'd stay there again any time.

There is a grocery store called 'Alfalfa's' across the street that has excellent produce and a lot of varieties of healthy take out food. The Boulder Farmer's Market on Wednesdays is only .5 block away from the inn, and it's excellent.

The only negative I can think of is that there were very few electrical outlets in the room I was in.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank h2onina
Royal Oak, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

Tip: prepay online and the low rate is even better. As many of the other reviews state, this is not the fanciest of hotels, but we found it to be clean and comfortable. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The free bike rentals were perfect and a nice advantage. We stayed here a few nights before switching to the hotel where a family wedding was being held in town. The free internet, free breakfast, free bike rentals, great location and great rate, in my opinion, out weight the fact that it is not as fancy as some of the other hotels I have stayed in. We stayed on the 1st floor and did not experience any problems with noise at night.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank doublemint921
Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2012

I stayed at the University Inn for a long weekend during Boulder Creek Fest. It is in a perfect location, close to downtown Boulder. Nothing fancy here but the price is right. Free wifi & continental breakfast. Friendly & helpful staff. I recommend it if you are looking for basic lodging in downtown Boulder.

Room Tip: I suggest you select a room on the second floor because the floors tend to creak.