“In 4 years we have stayed here 6 times”
Review of University Inn

University Inn
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Boulder
NE
“In 4 years we have stayed here 6 times”
Reviewed August 1, 2011

My last review of the University Inn was from our 2nd stay in May 2008 and although we have stayed there a many times since, I wanted to take the time after our most recent visit to say that this hotel is still a good bang for the buck and for it's location.

*I find the pictures of the room & property accurate. *If you cannot forgo marble baths, fancy bedding, and flat screens tv this hotel is probably not for you.

We find the front desk staff friendly and helpful. The rooms are a little outdated, but are clean and comfortable. Having refrigerators in the room would be a huge plus as most of our stays are for 4 nights or more and it would be nice to be able to keep cold drinks in the room as well as leftovers. We fly from the East coast and do not travel with a cooler, but if you are coming by car and staying a few nights I recommend bringing one to keep in the room.

Over the years we have stayed in rooms with 1 king bed, 2 full beds, and during our most recent stay in July we had a junior suite; which is regular room with a full size bed and off of this room is a small room with another full size bed and 2 built in end tables. It was an extremely hot week while we were there and our adult son was not able to shut the door to his "room" as the AC did not work in there. Not a huge deal, but hindsight we should have booked a standard room with 2 beds for 3 adults. I think we would have been more comfortable, space and temperature wise.

The continental breakfast has the typical offerings: choices of dry cereal, packets of oatmeal, bagels, donuts, danishes, muffins, yogurt and a variety of hot & cold beverages. Unless I missed it, fruit would have been a nice addition.

Besides the comfortable sleep, a good hot shower, and something to eat in the morning, what we like best about the University Inn is the location! If you have student at CU, living on campus or on The Hill, this hotel is so convenient. We like that we can walk to where they are living and not have to search for a parking spot. It is an easy walk to Pearl Street for shopping and dining, again do no need to worry about parking. And for on campus activities like football games & graduation, no need to get in your car! It is also on the Boulder Creek path and about a block from the seasonal Wed & Sat Farmer's Market. And if you like to ride bikes, the hotel lends them out for free! The new Alfalfa's market across the street has awesome take out sandwiches and salads and the Thai restaurant a few buildings down has delicious spring rolls and pad thai!

I for one hope management keeps the hotel & rooms simple, clean, comfortable, and affordable!

Looking forward to our next visit!

Mare

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank mare123
BoulderCreek, General Manager at University Inn, responded to this review, August 5, 2011
Thank you so much for your continued patronage of the Boulder University Inn. We appreciate you stating that our property pictures are accurate – I’m pleased you noticed that we are correct in our portrayal of our property. Our service commitment is everything you expect in a budget hotel with a great location, but without the frills like granite countertops and flat screen televisions. We appreciate your feedback and would like to comment on a few of your suggestions. We recognize that some of our guests would like to have refrigerators in their room. On your next visit with us, please request a refrigerator with our front desk and provided we have one available we will deliver to your room for use during your stay complimentary – no need to travel with a cooler! We apologize that you were unable to close the door to the second room in your suite as the air conditioner should have easily cooled that room to a comfortable temperature without having to leave the door open. We have addressed the problem with the air conditioner and would like to apologize to you and your son for any inconvenience you may have experienced. We look forward to seeing you next time you are in Boulder and again – thank you for your loyalty!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Concord, New Hampshire
Reviewed June 13, 2011

This served my purpose for visiting my CU student. Clean, nearby, good front desk staff. It does need a major facelift, though, and did not feel completely comfortable (safety-wise) for a woman traveling alone...

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
north carolina
Reviewed May 31, 2011

No granite counter tops or anything fancy. But great simple very clean room in very great location. I was visiting friends on the hill, and I could easily walk to "the Hill" or the Pearl St Mall. Also there were restaurants very near by (Thai place almost adjoining motel). It is not anything smart of fancy and doesn't aim to impress. But I was totally happy with my stay.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed January 9, 2011

There were several strands of hair on the bed when we arrived. We asked for a fresh set of sheets and got two flat sheets that were just the width of the bed. So we had to cover up the fitted sheet with one and replace the other flat sheet. We had to call again to get new pillowcases, one of which had a hair on it too.

The new sheets were bright white (probably bleached) but the original sheets were yellowed - maybe they were originally off-white but I doubt it.

Otherwise the room was OK. The fluorescent lights were an older generation of bulbs that took several minutes to warm up so that the room was sufficiently lit. But it's Boulder so that's a charm of sorts.

Close to campus and Broadway buses, etc. But clearly the sheets weren't changed for us for our stay of one night. Maybe the maid didn't know the previous occupant was checking out or something, but the bathroom, etc. looked like it had been set anew. So I think they just cut a corner or the maid should wear a hair net or something. Plus the sheets were yellowed.

Really, don't stay here. Another night, I happened to stay at the QI on Arapahoe and enjoyed the experience much better.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank poreef
BoulderCreek, General Manager at University Inn, responded to this review, January 14, 2011
First, we would like to take this opportunity to apologize that your experience at the Boulder University Inn was not at the level of cleanliness that we hold as the expectation and would like to thank you for making us aware of the issues you experienced. I will be sure to address these issues by reviewing our standards with our Executive Housekeeper and her staff. As the Hotel Manager, I can assure you that our housekeepers take much pride in their work and are meticulous when cleaning our guest rooms as well as the entirety of the hotel property. Although we are a budget property, I can assure you that we do not cut corners when it comes to cleanliness- that is not something that I nor the ownership would compromise. We are proud to offer a budget friendly property in an ideal location close to downtown Boulder, Pearl Street Mall, the “The Hill” district and the CU campus, thank you for acknowledging this. Again, our apologies and we hope you will reconsider the next time you are in the Boulder, Colorado area.
SF/Denver
Reviewed December 15, 2010

Was prepared to give this motel a hearty 5 stars for location, value and especially the helpful gentleman who checked me in and gave me a virtual tour of everyplace I could want to go in town. Unfortunatley after the free breakfast the morning guy deactivated my key, demanded my ID and then studied my face against the ID before allowing me back into MY room. I would still recommend this motel but would hope the condescending morning desk clerk gets an attitude adjustment post haste. 5 stars for the motel and the friendly night guy. -2 for a BAD attitude first thing in the morning.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed November 5, 2010

What I'd say is best about this place is the value. You get free wifi, a nice continental breakfast, free computer use w/printer, and parking for a solid price in a fantastic location. The Boulder University Inn is within walking distance of downtown, the University, a bike path, and a really fantastic farmer's market. We called ahead for a late night arrival (1AM) which was no problem for the front desk. They had a room waiting for us.

The front desk staff was pleasant and they even let us keep our car in their lot for the entire day of our checkout so we could go catch the football game.

The only possible detractor I can think of is that it seemed to get a little noisy at night as the weekend drew near, possibly due to it being homecoming weekend at Colorado University. We could also hear the floorboards creaking in the room above us. Neither took away from a good night's sleep.

We'd come back here in a heartbeat.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Georgia
Reviewed October 12, 2010

Stayed three nights at the University Inn while attending the Georgia-Colorado football game. Hotel was by far the best location of any hotel in the area if you are going to a football game at CU. Short walk to Pearl Street and a easy walk to the stadium. It is an older hotel, and does not look great on the outside, but the rooms were very, very clean with new fixtures in the bathroom. The walls are very thin as in may older hotels, but we requested a top floor room and turned the fan of the AC on, so didn't hear much once we went to bed. We had the top floor king room next to the street and it was a very large room. Larger than you would expect from an older hotel. No microwave or refrigerator in room, but we didn't need them anyway. Small breakfast area with juice, coffee, cereal, doughnuts, etc. for breakfast. Nice, fast computer with printer in breakfast area which was convenient to print our boarding passes. Parking is free, which was nice. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple