“Stuck in the 70's-80's...more like a boarding house then hotel!”

Boulder Twin Lakes Inn
Ranked #17 of 23 Hotels in Boulder
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I booked this "hotel" Inn from the reviews I read and the fact that it was $80 vs. $280 which is what the chain hotels were charging in Boulder. My son's house and property were destroyed by the 9/11 flood and I needed to find an affordable place to stay for a week or so. This Inn is a converted office building that was built in the 70-80's. Upon arrival, I was greeted, sorta, by the owner. He asked if I was checking in and then pointed to an instruction sheet on how to check in. He basically talked to me like I was a 8 year old saying, "you didn't read the instructions now did you?". I explained that I had been up since 3:30 a.m. which he then "walked" me through the process. He showed me a basket with envelopes that had names written on them and gave me mine. NOT a safe way to check in and certainly not at all welcoming. He had me sign an invoice type thing with detailed instructions on what to do and not to do. The key to the room was an old house key on a ring. He then pointed to another basket where I was to put my signed invoice! My room wasn't ready and I needed to change into my work clothes but, he did say I could go to my room, leave my bags and change clothes. Came back to my room later and it was cleaned. However, the room decor was very dated. Bathroom was just big enough to turn around in with tub and toilet. The bathroom sink. was in the bedroom right next to the kitchenette sink. There were 2 towel holders as well. One for the kitchenette and the other one for bathroom hand towels side by side. Furniture was a mish-mash of what they could find, I guess. Old style headboard and bedding, old over stuffed chair, fast food type table and chairs, dresser from days past, nothing matched...just very stuck in the 70's-80's. The "amenities" were 2 little tiny bars of soap the size of a quarter and one tiny bottle of shampoo/conditioner and one with lotion. One thing that really got me was the toilet plunger in the bathroom. Disgusting! The lamps..didn't match also didn't work. WiFi worked really well in the room. The hallways outside were lined with posters from past Olympians and as it turns out the owner and his wife were also, back in the 80's. Breakfast every morning was hard boiled eggs, little tiny pastries, dry cereal, fresh fruit. The owner would fastidiously wash the dishes and making sure all chairs were just in right place. Very OCD, I do believe. He was pleasant and engaged in conversations with other guests and myself, however. Housekeeping was hit and miss. My dishes did not get washed, coffee maker cleaned out and some days they would replace the plastic cups (only get 2 at a time), bars of soap not replaced.. After a few days, I realized that I was going to stay another week to help with the clean up of the flood. The owner did keep me in my room so that I didn't have to move to another one. Since HK didn't do much other then make the bed, I left a note requesting to have the sheets changed, needed 2 regular coffees every day, fix the lamps, wash my dishes, more soap,etc. etc. and a $10 tip. That evening, everything that I listed was taken care of. However, the rest of the week, got decaf, no cups, dishes and coffee maker left dirty. I needed to do my laundry which there were washer and dryers for guests use but, the vending machine to buy detergent was out of service. So, I had to go buy the smallest bottle I could find and ended of leaving it in my room because of the size. I attempted to use the hotel public computers but, were mostly off line and the printer wouldn't work. I asked the owner about that and he said that they were "so old and full of viruses". Not at all concerned, so it seems. Well, I was told by my bank that after I had logged on to find out that someone had installed a virus in his computers and was connected to a "device" out of the country which someone was attempting to hack my bank accounts. My bank's fraud department detected it and closed off my account from anymore online log ins! Found this out once I returned home! Not acceptable and should have NEVER happened. How could anyone have public computers without a virus protector? A strong message to the guests was "you are on your own and don't ask for anymore then what we are giving you and we're not doing anymore then we have to". I considered staying there again, putting up with all the quirkiness of the owner and rooms but, after the computer hacker trying to hack my bank accounts because the owner's ineptness at computers, I will not stay there again. .I have learned my lesson about staying in home owned hotels. Basically, this is you get what you pay for type place. Have a whole new appreciation for big chain hotels!

Room Tip: Have no expectations of what you expect when you stay in a hotel. This was more like staying in a b...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank divetravlr
BineshPrasad, Owner at Boulder Twin Lakes Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Thank you for your detailed review. My heart goes out to you and your son whose house was devastated by the flood. I only met you for couple days of your stay and listened to your story many times and you had exhausted your self beyond belief as a mother. Most of the guests and photos of the Inn will prove the renovations we have done and at what stage our Inn is from the 80's and 90's. We make changes to the Inn every year Our computers had no viruses , but were older operating versions of windows and sometimes did not communicate with the printer. We have new windows 7 dell computers and printer and they all work well . We have and will always have virus protection in all our computers. All the best to you and your son,

Reviewed September 28, 2013

What a wonderful find here in Boulder! My children live close by to the Inn, I live in the city of Boulder but needed a few days of rest after spending weeks dealing with Flood recovery issues in my home. From the moment I stepped in the lobby of the Inn I felt welcome, comfortable and immediately sensed the Inn to be my home away from home! The room that I stayed in was a non smoking room and pet friendly. It was clean and beyond my expectations of a room where pets were! No odors, or any signs of pets were present. The room was very large in comparison to other hotel rooms that I've stayed at in prior Inns. The staff was extremely friendly, professional and helpful. In the morning they serve a very nice breakfast that the guests enjoy at their leisure. I was surprised to see the fresh fruit, hard boiled eggs, bagels, cream cheese, pastries, orange juice and many other breakfast items to choose from. There's a laundry room right off the lobby, computers for the guests to use and even a hot tub. In the room there's a kitchenette with a microwave, mini fridge and sink, dishes, etc. The mattresses were so comfortable. I have only positive comments to make regarding Boulder Twin Lakes Inn. Affordable and everything I needed to have a restful, comfortable stay. I felt very safe and secure too. I recommend this Inn A+++. -Laura C.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank LJCopenhagen
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Beds were new, warm and comfortable but I didn't care for the B&B layout. Hotel looked quite new on the outside but the furniture inside the rooms was old. Odd layout (no sink in bathroom) but it was the least expensive place in Boulder. If you're on a budget, this place is fine, but I didn't feel it was worth $100 per night when I got a much nicer place in Estes Park for less money and bigger mountains.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Brooks747
Reviewed August 25, 2013

This was my second visit to the Inn. My friend and I spent one night at the Inn and have to say it provided all we needed! Our trip was touch and go; we got a great value and friendly, friendly, friendly service. The owners were very lovely to split the bill for my friend and me. The grounds are well groomed and breakfast was plentiful, varied and well-stocked: hard-boiled eggs, cereal, yogurt, various pastries, FRESH fruit salad, juices, coffee, etc...the works! The room was very spacious, with a couch, two queen-sized beds, microwave, sink and pantry which are very convenient if you want to stay longer. People from all over the world comes and stays at the Inn while they train in Boulder - very cool! This place is owned by a very nice couple who I will give my business to in future trips.

Room Tip: Second floor, on conner above stairs
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank GliAda
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Here I am again.. Why would I stay anywhere else? Quiet, comfortable, reasonable, and pleasant staff. The grounds looks great with the new gazebo and grilling area! Feel like home when I stay here. hmmm,

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank mary anne d
Reviewed August 8, 2013

This hotel is in a nice quiet area next to a park and walking trail. The room was ok, but oddly arranged with the tub/toilet in one room and the bathroom sink right next to the kitchenette sink on the same counter. It was pretty clean.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank RuToo
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Twin lakes in is a great place to stay. I showed up and my key was waiting for me and it was a real key, not one of those magnetic ones that lose their info upon cell phone contact, no running to desk to get the key card reprogrammed. The building is two story and each room has small kitchen area, there are also several full kitchens to use to make dinner. The morning meal is very good compared to many places that offer little selection. The front desk clerk/concierge Neil was always there to help, maybe not always sitting at the desk, but the desk phone and his number is right there and so is he if you call.

In short I moved to Boulder and found a great place to stay for three weeks. Very relaxed atmosphere, good breakfast, kitchenette in room and full kitchens, friendly service that is on the ball, and a hot tub. No worries at twin Lakes Inn. (The only organic brewery in Colorado is within waking distance).

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo