“Nothing Special”

Millennium Harvest House
Ranked #22 of 23 Hotels in Boulder
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We stayed over a weekend and found the hotel clean but pretty average on a number of aspects. The room was clean and there were no issues there however charging $5 for a bottle of water is a bit steep. The pool area was ok although it needs to be kept cleaner as there was a lot of trash lying around the pool area. Breakfast was ok but the buffet choice was limited, with only the usual scrambled egg, little boxes of cereal, bacon, sausage, chipped potatoes.

We were given free Internet when we booked in but they charged it on the bill. We challenged it and they removed it from the bill but we had to argue the point as the desk clerk gave the impression, in that slightly superior attitude, that it was unusual not to be charged - $10 a night again is steep and it was not very fast.

They claim to be a full service hotel and they have a lot of staff but in overall quality and value for money terms they fall short of the mark.

This would not be our first choice for the area on a return visit and I think they need to fundamentally look at what they offer as hoteliers. We've stayed in inferior hotels but not at $160 a night plus with extras being added on.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 5, 2013

Upon arrival the lobby seemed high class, we were put in the sports wing and as you contined it became very outdated and claustrophobic hallways. The rooms were VERY dated and not up to par with what was expected from the price. The bathrooms were stained NO REFRIGORATOR,and an old tv. On the 4th of July there was a party so parking was VERY hard to come by. Upon departure the elevator broke down. The restaurant was super slow we left because a waiter/waitress never came, and the front desk guy was on the phone and wouldn't assist us. Terrible dont bother staying here.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Five years ago my wife and I stayed at this hotel for several nights. At that time the hotel was clean, well maintained and managed. Hence, we elected to return to the hotel while attending a conference. Unfortunately, since our last visit the hotel has deteriorated significantly. Though our room was clean and the bed was comfortable, the toilet valve leaked making it run continuously. More generally, the hotel is in need of rehabilitation of furniture in all areas of the hotel; the outdoor gardens and landscape need major renovation; the hotel is understaffed making service difficult for employees ;staff are not well trained so that there is an atmosphere of employee dissatisfaction. For example, the front desk clerk barely greeted me on check in, and she then proceeded to rapidly mumble barely understandable instructions about where to park my car and how to find my room. In the process of trying to locate my room I discovered that both elevators were inoperable. To add insult to injury, before checking out one of our friends, who was also staying at the hotel, was informed that because the hotel was now full, the rate on her room was going up $30/night more. Last, the place was overrun with members of athletic teams who partied until the early hours of the morning.

In short, for the rate charged, we could have easily found a better hotel, and we shall not stay at this hotel again unit it is rehabilitated and under new management. We can do better.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the second floor or higher unless you want to carry your own bags up flights of st...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael P, Guest Relations Manager at Millennium Harvest House, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Dear Guest

We thank you for sharing your concerns with us at the Millennium Harvest House, Boulder and apologize profusely for the challenges you were faced with during your recent stay.

You are correct that both elevators were inoperable for a couple of day during your stay.For this we are truly sorry! The high volume of business that we had during this weekend, was taxing to our elevators. They have been repaired since. We are also very excited to inform you we are in the process of undergoing a refurbish shortly including the areas you found lacking. We have already begun so by working on our lobby and sports bar. Please know we value you as a guest and hope you afford us the opportunity to stay with us again.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

We stayed at this hotel 4 years ago and loved it. The location is great to the Boulder Creek bike path with convenient bike rental within walking distance. Four years ago, this hotel was a bustling and fairly upscale place, and we decided to stay here with our family again on this trip. I really wish I had checked the reviews! The price is still high, and this time it does not seem worth it. The whole hotel is in need of updating (the fact that outside sign is not completely lit up at night should have clued us in). We got placed in the "Sporting Wing", which seems slightly less nice than the rest of the hotel (for the same price!), but after touring all of the hotel, everything looks fairly dilapidated. The rooms are clean. Most of the staff is nice (but the hotel appears to be understaffed). The pool is still impressive.

Room Tip: Don't stay in Sporting Wing
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I enjoyed staying at this hotel. For the most part, everything was fine. There were only a few things to note. The rooms were nice and clean. They triple sheet their beds, which for me is always a make or break kind of thing when choosing hotel. (I refuse to stay at hotels that use bed spreads). However, they really need to renovate the hallways! Seriously, it looks like the white paint is starting to crack off the walls, especially towards the back of the hall on the first floor. The lobby is nice. The beds were comfortable for me, although the two people I was traveling with said the beds were too hard. ( I personally like a hard bed, so I was happy).

The televisions seriously need an update. They still have those box televisions; no flat screens. Management, if you're reading this: people who pay over $120 for a room expect a decent television. The guide software is highly outdated. The channel names when cable surfing stills shows "COURTV". Court TV has been gone for over 7 years. The staff is exceptionally friendly. Their housekeeping department was very accomodating when we asked for an extra fold-up bed, extra sheets, duvets and pillows. No free wifi was a little bit disconcerting for the price we paid for the hotel.

Overall, like I said, I enjoyed staying at this hotel, although for almost $200 a night, I expected a little more. Don't get me wrong, this place is nice. I'd say overall the experience was on par with Hampton Inn in terms of service and accomodations.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the first floor facing the backyard area. There is a sliding screen door at opens...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Michael P, Front Office Manager at Millennium Harvest House, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback during your recent visit to the Millennium Harvest House, Boulder.

Your comments regarding our friendly staff is appreciated as we strive daily to ensure the needs of our guests are taken care of.

We are also happy to inform you that our televisions will soon be replaced with flat screen TV's and our hotel is slated to undergo a refurbishment in the near future.

We hope you come out and see us again to enjoy the wonderful changes we have in store for our guests and hope you afford us another opportunity to lodge with us when your travels bring you to the Boulder area again.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

How about the sliding glass door onto the patio facing a wide and open expanse of ground--where the lock doesn't work??? Trying to pull the door from what I thought I had locked separated the actual wall from the frame--which looked like had happened before. The "lock" on the inside door to the hallway was non-existent--only the top security lock was on the door, the one you use to slightly pull the door open to see who is on the other side. I barricaded the sliding glass door with my suitcases and chairs. The floor to the sliding glass door inclined downward at an obvious level. The walls were in dire need of a paint job, the bathroom was tiny, heck, so was the double room--reminded me of some dives I stayed in in Europe while traveling as a youngster. I remember when this hotel was really something. I'd suggest tearing it down.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Michael P, Front Office Manager at Millennium Harvest House, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent feedback during your stay at the Millennium Hotel, Boulder and wanted t let you know that we value your feedback. Your willingness to share your recent experience is genuinely appreciated. We have since repaired the lock to the room you had occupied.

The principal goal of our hotel is to provide our guests the service they expect and deserve. Consequently, it's disappointing to hear you left unhappy.

Again we want to thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us and hope you afford us another opportunity to serve you better in the future.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed at this property as we were wedding guests and I was told the brides family (fancy folks) always stay there. What a run down property. The driveway and parking lot had heaved in many places making it ripe for a fall. The pool area totally needed painting. Things were peeling everywhere you looked. Even the lit Millennium sign had letters that were not lit, always a bad sign (think Fawlty Towers).

The pool of this huge hotel had 10 lounge chairs that I counted. All were occupied by locals who pay to be there as part of a pool membership. They brought boatloads of screaming kids with inflatables (balls flying and a raft). This was not relaxing. The pool was loaded
with fuzzy things and needed a good cleaning. We would have used the indoor pool, but the hotel had rented it out to TWO swim instructors who were giving lessons.

The room had nice linens. We would have loved a refrigerator as you need to drink to stay hydrated, but that and a flat screen TV are not in the cards. The room was totally outdated as was the bathroom. If you do need a drink, it is there for $5 a bottle. Go next door to Safeway for $5 you can buy two cases!

I am really surprised that a supposedly high end chain would have a property like this in such disrepair.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple