“Surprising find!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #19 of 19 Hotels in Boulder
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Surprising find!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

We actually almost didn't stay here because of the poor reviews on Trip Advisor, but then we spoke to someone and decided to give it a try. We are SO glad we did! It was clean, friendly, and inviting. The hotel is so close to the university, so we could walk to the game. The hotel is older, but that just gives it some charm. We will definitely be staying here again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Diane N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

I am a frequent traveller: because of business reasons, I sleep in hotels over 100 nights a year. Thus, I think I have a fair ability to judge a hotel.

I arrived around 8 at night. At the front desk they gave me a room. As I started walking through the long, long corridors (it takes a good 5 minutes to get to the room), I was startled by how dirty the carpet was. I bumped, for instance, into a lot of plastic wraps on the ground and, after a dozen or so, I gave up on counting on the large stains on the floors.

After the walk, the first elevator was out of service. Then, I had to undo my steps and go to the second elevator. This one worked, but barely: the bottons in the command box were broken and one of them was missing.

Finally, I got to my room. Again the dirtiness was just incredible: I turned out the light and I was taken away by how dirty the switch was. The TV was from 20 years ago and the whole furniture smelled badly. The bathroom was a bit better, but still well below the standard one expects in a hotel.

The room was so awful that I went downstair, canceled my reservation and moved to another hotel in town.

Room Tip: There are many alternatives in Boulder: do not stay here.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Michael P, Guest Relations Manager at Millennium Harvest House, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
We were very disappointed to read about your experience during your stay with us. We are working hard to meet if not exceed all of our guests’ expectations currently .

We are in the process of refurbishing all our hotel elevators in the hotel and should be operable in no time.

We hope you afford us another opportunity to stay with us the next time your travels bring you to Boulder again. We are excited about the changes we're making and would like to share them with you.

Travelers are raving about these Boulder hotels

Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

Clearly this hotel is old. The hallways and some of the common areas definitely felt it. However, my room seemed to have been updated not too long ago. It was clean, the beds were comfortable. The tvs are still the big box kind vs a flat screen so their quality was lacking but I wasn't staying there to watch tv. The only meal I ate in the hotel was breakfast and it was very good. The front desk was really friendly at checkin. Large lap pool!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Sebastopol, Ca
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

Our room was in the back building which I think was the older section. It was very outdated and needed renovations but it was quiet. Halls needed new carpeting and paint. Everything was just a bit run down. Rooms were average but clean and reasonably priced compared to other hotels in the area. Service was average too. Location was on a busy corner and about 1.5 miles from the downtown area. The best thing about this hotel was the outdoor setting. There is a path for walking, running or biking right behind the hotel and near a creek. I probably would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the back section. I am assuming the main hotel is more updated.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Chennai (Madras), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Based on my personal experience, this is a very nice hotel at a great location. Got a good deal for this hotel and worth that money. There are plenty of restaurants in and around this hotel and it's better to skip food at the hotel's restaurant. One disavantage is that you need to walk a long distance to get to your room. The room was big enough with a couch and a flat sreen TV.

Room Tip: Don't get a room on the first floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Austin, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is a fine hotel, but nothing spectacular. A little dated, but clean and comfortable with a lot of amenities. The St. Julien and Boulderado are better, but also more expensive, so this is probably the best value in Boulder, though it lacks the prime Pearl Street location. The Marriott Courtyard is the next option if you cannot get a room here and want to be in Boulder.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed for one night in mid October and chose this hotel due to it's location along the creek. The leaves were changing color and it seemed like a good idea. We had stayed here long ago (1985) and remembered sitting along the lovely creek trail. The hotel and trail system have expanded quite a bit in that time. The trail is now paved and lighted and does provide access to the University area and the downtown for those able to walk or bike. Really an enhancement for the city of Boulder.

The hotel on the other hand has lovely grounds and facilities, and, as in 1985 had programmed activities. This time it was Octoberfest. It all seemed extremely overpriced, food and drink-wise. We were there for another evening activity on the "hill", so did not partake.

The hotel service was so lacking that I had to comment. The staff is mostly young and have been trained to say all the right words, but really do absolutely nothing. We had booked a balcony room and were given a room in the annex. When we had trouble finding the annex, we had been told by the front desk, "just drive around and park for easy unloading of your luggage". No map, or any other direction other than when I walked back to the front entrance, my husband was driving, I was told it was "the jutting out building". I became a bit frustrated with the doorman when I was given this response. Another guest helped us find the entrance. When we found the room it looked out over a dumpster and there was no balcony. After going back to the desk and showing our reservation print out, we were reluctantly upgraded by the manager. The balcony room did overlook a lovely part of the grounds and it was enjoyable to see the fall color, however, the balcony is no more than two feet deep.

The service in other parts of the hotel was not particularly engaging or friendly. Very superficial. There were no amenities usually found in a 4 star hotel. You had to request a fridge or micro. Since we were only there 1 night we did not bother. Another title for this review could be "The Don't Bother Hotel". The cleaning staff seemed nice and friendly enough to say hello and smile, but they did knock on the door at 8:30AM as our do not disturb sign had somehow disappeared.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple