“It really is a shame” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 19 Hotels in Boulder
Colorado
“It really is a shame”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I don't want to be mean, or take business away from anyone, but this place is a total anachronism - it's from another place and another time. It's not very well kept, either.

In our room, there were spots and stains all over the walls, a variety of cob webs, popcorn ceilings, poor plumbing, and a heater/air-conditioner that didn't work. The remote for the TV didn't work very well, either. Fortunately, we only planned on staying here one night, New Year's Eve, as a way to avoid the drunks on the road. We would not have stayed any longer than that.

We went to the bar that night, and found the ubiquitous cob webs there, too. I was really wondering if anyone ever did any maintenance on the place. This whole place needs a good scrubbing, and another coat of paint. I did, however, like the sports memorabilia collection in the lobby, and in the bar. There are a lot of football helmets and jerseys leftover from when this place was in its heyday.

On the bright side, it only cost $50 for the night, $63 after taxes, and you just can't beat that anywhere. Oh, and they are right across the parking lot from Carelli's Italian Restaurant, a liquor store, and the William's Village College Dorms.

If you want a very cheap, no frills place to stay during a short visit to Boulder, this is your hotel. If you want something a little nicer, move on down the road. There are a lot of good, fairly priced hotels in Boulder, but this isn't one of them.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms. Just be thankful you could find a place so inexpensive.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ovolacto
Tina L, Regional Manager at Rodeway Inn & Suites Boulder Broker, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. I have noted them and passed along to the staff at hotel to address immediately. We are implementing lots of changes over the new year and I hope you give us a chance to show you the changes we have made next time you come through.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Dennis, Massachusetts, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

My friend and I stayed here for two nights while we did sight-seeing in Boulder. You can't beat the price and location of this hotel but don't set your expectation to high. The rooms are dark and dated. Our room was clean enough though and I always think that's what really matters. Breakfast could have been better but it's free so I can't complain too much. One problem I did have was when we asked a girl working at the desk what there was to do/see in Boulder she replied, "Ehhh, not much...". Come on! You're in HOSPITALITY - sell the place! And there really was a lot to see and do, Boulder was great!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Maura M
Tina L, Manager at Rodeway Inn & Suites Boulder Broker, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
I am shocked to hear the response from our desk and it has already been addressed. Yes, Boulder is an incredible location and you are absolutely correct - sell it. I can name about 20 things to do off the top of my head. We provide an economical lodging option in great location close to many outdoor activities, shopping, theatre, music and I could go on. Please come again and I can assure you we can provide you many ideas. I apologize for the lack of enthusiasm you were shown. I would like to show you the opposite. Please call anytime and ask for me directly. Thank you for your comments, it is always helpful to hear from our guests.
Tina
Kansas City, Kansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

One night was enough! Wish I could say there were some redeeming qualities about our brief stay. Am having a tough time coming up with any. Suppose I could complement the front desk for being relatively friendly and courteous and being willing to refund/release us from our second night stay. I wish I could say it was clean but that wasn't the case for our room anyway.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank aah987
I apologize for your experience and thank you for taking the time to bring it to our attention. We are in the process of correcting several issues. I would like to try to make it right for you if you are willing to give us another chance please call me at the hotel directly. Thank you. Tina

Travelers are raving about these Boulder hotels

Charlottesville, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Have stayed here regularly for the past 15 years or so. Was originally the Broker Inn, and it was a nice, rustic hotel. My last stay there is my last. Just terrible. Has clearly not been maintained over the past few years. Rooms are dank and somewhat dirty. Breakfast is a joke. Will never stay here again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Jeff M
Tina L, Owner at Rodeway Inn & Suites Boulder Broker, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
I'm sorry to hear you won't be staying with us again. We have had struggles in the couple of years but are in fact on the up side of these struggles. We have initiated a plan to renew the property to what it used to be when it was the "spot" to go in Boulder. If you would be interested in giving us another chance please call me at the hotel directly and I will arrange a future stay to try restore your memories of our property. Thank you for your comments, each is being reviewed by management on a regular basis to improve for our guests.
Stillwater, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Was decent and met our needs! We will stay there again, our only complaint was no cold water! Our room was quiet and clean we never heard any noise from outside of our room, The lobby and dining room and bar area is decorated in antique look and atmosphere.

Room Tip: Room 401 was good for us!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thank you for your stay and compliments. We were experiencing a boiler problem that have been resolved and appreciate your patience with us. I have been explaining to guests that we are fortunate to have an incredible location with a building that has such character, we are looking forward to the next several months in which we plan to renew the property with several changes. Please do come again in your travels.
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

This hotel is very nice for the price. Clean. Has all the amenities you'd need for a short or week stay- including FREE breakfast. I enjoyed it very much and would stay here again if I visit Boulder soon.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thank you for your compliments. We are in fact a budget hotel but are in the process of a minor facelift. We sure hope you come back next time so you can see all we have accomplished by then.
california
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

Hello! Let me give you all a heads up in regards to the Rodeway Inn in Boulder! The pictures on the web site must be of only two Suites! The rooms are extremely dirty. The box springs are not covered. Stains, dirt YUCK! Cobwebs on the extremely out dated valances over the beds. Smelly stained carpeting. This Rodway is so very outdated. They should be ashamed! Air conditioners do not work. The Bathroom was so flithy that you needed to clorox it yourself! This place needs Gordon Ramsey to come check it out! HE WOULD DIE!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank lcwiert
Please accept our apology. Your comments have been passed on to the GM which is working to correct issues on the property. We anticipate a full deep clean / some remodel work and new bedding in the next few months. If you would be willing to give us another try, in updated surrounding, please call the hotel directly and I will make you a reservation to show you what we've done. Thanks for taking the time to bring your concerns to our attention.