“Great hotel”

Hotel Boulderado
Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Boulder
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 19, 2009

I stayed for buisness meeting for 2 nights.
The room was specious, clean and warm.
I was a pleaset surprize to find out that the hotel is very well situated nearby the city down town.
I just loved it all !!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank D0rit

Reviewed April 1, 2009

I think the hotel was somewhat over priced after seeing the accommodations. The lobby is stunning with a huge stained glass ceiling and Victorian decor. The walk down a hallway leading to our room was cluttered with dilapidated, randomly placed antique furniture; which created a storage room look rather than adding to the look and charm of the hotel. The bedroom was small yet quaint as expected, the bathrooms were hugely disappointing as they were remodeled on the cheap and not in line with the Victorian period at all. The breakfast we had in the hotel restaurant was top notch; great taste and presentation. They staff was wonderful in every way. The location was perfect for Pearl street shopping and dining. But, after reading so many other reviews where others gave the hotel 5 stars, I have to admit I was disappointed in the lack of upkeep and bad remodels within the hotel. I definitely would not stay there again for $200 a night. They should consider lowering the rates about 50% or upgrading the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank larubiaColorado
Reviewed December 18, 2008

Our group had a large tea at The Boulderado Hotel on 12/14/08. The ambiance was exceptional with Christmas carolers and a huge,Victorian decorated Christmas tree. Claire, the concierge was polite and extremely helpful along with the maintenance man. I had a basket filled with presents and the handle broke. Claire called the maintenance man, and he came and fixed it for me, right away. I never expected such service. The friendly, helpful staff, beauty and great food made for the best tea ever.

• Stayed: December 2008
1  Thank LLjv
Reviewed November 14, 2008

The Boulderado gets and A+ for charm, location and service. Not sure if they were college kids but they sure were enthusiastic. We were there to attend a wedding and stayed in the "new" wing which is admittedly not as charming as the old building. Nonetheless the rooms are large, clean and quiet with opening windows and pleasant views. Don't expect extravagant furnishings or ornate woodworking in the new wing and it can be a bit strange to find your room after crossing the "skybridge" but it is all in good fun. The main building is historic and interesting and a bit of a landmark in the area. This is not a chain hotel so some things are a bit inconsistent - - thankfully. There is a funky little manually operated elevator (operator and all) that you should not miss. Parking is by valet and is fairly reasonable.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank Brian Thomas
Reviewed November 9, 2008

My wife and I visited Boulder for a long weekend in November. It was our first time staying in Boulder. We have previously stayed in Estes Park.

Traveling to the hotel was easy from the Denver International Airport. You can take I70 to hwy 36 or the northern toll road. Either route takes 45 minutes to an hour.

We pulled up to the hotel and were impressed from the start. It beautiful both inside and out. Upon check-in, we were informed that our Expedia reservation had not been received by the hotel. Since they did not have a King room, we were upgraded for free to a King Suite. Crisis averted and we were impressed that the situation was handled promptly and professionally.

Our room was located in the north tower. In order to get there, you either have to climb the stairs to the second level or take the original, 100 year old elevator. Since we had a 50# bag, we took the elevator. Be aware that you need to ring a bell and have an elevator operator take you up. (this was the only time we used the elevator the entire trip).

We took the skywalk from the second floor of the main hotel to the north tower. Our room was on the first floor. As you walk in, there is a nice sitting room with a tv in the cabinet. The bathroom, off the hallway, was extremely clean. There was also an additional sink/mirror outside the bathroom.

The bedroom itself is a nice size. The bed was firm but comfortable and there are plenty of pillows. The room was relatively quiet for being on the first floor. There was not much street noise at all. There is the occasional old hotel noise, but nothing that keeps you up at night.

The housekeeping services are excellent.

We ate at Q's twice during the stay (will give a separate review for those meals). It is an excellent restaurant.

The best part about the Boulderado is it's proximity to Pearl Street There are MANY restaurants and shops. Our favorite restaurants were:

Breakfast: Foolish Craig's
Lunch: Pasta J's
Happy Hour: Tahoma (GREAT margaritas and tequila menu; get a tequila flight)
Dinner: Q's

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank michaelcps
Reviewed October 23, 2008

I stayed here for one night this past weekend. The hotel was recommended by locals, and I'm glad I listened to them!

Look, if you are looking for an ultra-modern, Frette linens-type of place, then this is not for you. They don't have a pool. lf, on the other hand, you appreciate historic buildings with tons of character and original details, this is your kind of place.

In keeping with its Victorian history, there are lots of periodic furniture (velvet-upholstered settees and chairs), lamps and decor. The lobby is beautiful--that staircase! I felt like I was making a grand entrance every time I descended the stairs.

The rooms are tiny but cozy. There's a little desk w/ a chair, a TV stand, and the (Queen) bed plus 2 night stands. The bed had a white chenille spread, in keeping with the Victoriana theme. The closet was a nice size, and you could stow all your bags in there. The bathroom was bigger than I expected, actually, with a full-size tub/shower. Everything was spanking clean.

If you are bringing a lot of luggage, you should probably request a room in the new Northern wing--the elevator in the original building is small and operated by staff.

My room faced the back of the building. I could see the mountains in the distance, but there was also the drone of a generator or something. The windows were shut, so it wasn't disruptive, but it was ongoing.

The building is 100 years old, remember! You will hear creaks and groans and footsteps. I stayed in one of the reportedly haunted rooms and am sad to say I saw and heard nothing unusual.

The business center is great--4 computers, 2 printers, free paper and pens. Folks should remember to delete their files, though, when they're done. My PC had 2 sales presentations and a boarding pass saved right to the Desktop.

The location can't be beat. One block away is the pedestrian mall section of Pearl Street. I didn't have a chance to try the Corner Bar or the Catacombs, but I did have breakfast at Q's. It was delicious.

It's worth pointing out that I checked in on what is one of their busiest check-out days of the year (CU Parents' weekend) and the staff was unfailingly helpful and polite.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank LACat
Reviewed October 10, 2008

The Best Of Both (Centuries)
As I Type this on the carpeted floor of our Queen room, 2nd floor of the Boulderado's newer addition, my wife is falling asleep on the firm but comfortable queen bed. We spent a full week here attending a conference (also held downstairs at the Boulderado). As a Tripadvisor contributor, I recommend this hotel to any and all. We checked in on a Sunday and were initially assigned a Queen room on the 5th floor in the original building. It was a classy, well decorated, clean (but small) room. Because it was a little far from the conference room, we went down to the front desk and asked a very helpful and friendly Matthew if we could change rooms to something closer to the conference area. No problem on his end. The newer section of the hotel has larger rooms with more amenities. A great stay the entire week. Of note: you must valet park for $8 per day (the valet staff was always quick and friendly when retrieving our car). The Corner Bar has EXCELLENT food and drink (recommend the Avery Hail to the Chief Blaster Ale (strong and bitter). The entire staff was friendly and attentive. Dry cleaning, no problem. By the end of the week, several of the staff felt like family.
Pearl street (a block away) has tons of shopping and restaurants with in house micro brews. All in all, a great hotel and great town. Make sure you take a ride from the hotel, down Broadway to Baseline Rd, turn right and go up to the Ampitheater and Lost Gulch Park (great photo op of Boulder all the way to Denver-only 20 minutes away). Good job to all. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business