“Extensive wine list, brief menu”
Review of Mateo

Mateo
Reserve with OpenTable
Mateo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #74 of 582 Restaurants in Boulder
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 19th
Reviewed June 13, 2014

A pleasant dinner. Menu is brief but offers a range of choices. A bit noisy even on a Wednesday evening but not overwhelming. If weather had been better we would have tried the patio.

Reviewed April 21, 2014

We've eaten dinner at Mateo in the past but our first Sunday brunch was this past Easter Sunday. The menu if terrific and the tastes outstanding. The porc hash was unique, perfectly portioned and wonderful. My wife and elderly mother both had the Mateo breakfast with eggs perfectly done, fantastic potatoes and thick, crispy bacon.

But what really stands out was the extra effort by the hostess, whose name I am sorry to say, I don't know. It was Easter Sunday and tables were turning slowly. My mother really needs to sit and is not able to hop up on bar stools so we were offered an unoccupied table for 5 while we waited. When our expected table still didn't vacate, the hostess offered us a table on their patio but the sun was too much for mom so we went back inside to the same table for 5. Within a few minutes, the hostess said that we should just keep the table and she would make arrangements for the party of 5 when they arrived. She really went the extra mile to accommodate us which was much appreciated. I'm sorry that I didn't get her name.

Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

Mateo is a gem on East Pearl St in Boulder. We felt like we had wandered into a small cafe in Provence. It has a warm, inviting atmosphere that is not loud or pretentious. The staff were friendly, attentive and knew their wine and cheese. I recommend the frommage cheese plate and any of their fresh salads. Also, the chicken dish was divine! Served with a bag of frites (French fries).
I would recommend Mateo for a romantic date or a fun night out with friends.

Reviewed April 12, 2014

First off, I think the food at Mateos is excellent. Some of the best duck liver pate you will eat. Main courses are fabulous, their specials always terrific and the wine list is truly impressive. It was for all these reasons that I took some friends there for my wifes birthday.

My gripe on this visit was the table we were given - the one at the very back of the restaurant and closest to the kitchen. It was small and in an awkward place. Spent $440 on dinner (3 bottles of wine). We all said that it was a poor place to be seated - and I should have said something when we first arrived, but didn't want to really make a scene. I think web bookings via Open Table are given the worst seats in the house. Not sure if I will come back again for a celebration - maybe for lunch midweek, but not a special event.

Our waiter was slow on the scene - and when he did arrive, was perhaps a little too cute. He didnt seem to be that attentive during the night (one of the very few occasions I have regretted giving someone a 20% tip). Sommelier was quite good - but looked a little hassled.

Despite all that, we had a great meal and I would encourage anyone to try Mateos. Just speak up if the table you have been given is the one I mention and if its a special event, then be sure to mention it to the staff. I think Mateos is a great place for a casual lunch or dinner at the bar.

Just left a little disappointed thats all...

Reviewed March 4, 2014

We've had several celebratory meals for 6-8 people here as well as enjoyed couples meals. Fresh food well presented, lighter fare as well as heavier croque-monsieurs and steaks. Great frites, innovative cocktails, outdoor patio when it's warm enough. Sunday Brunch available also.